Split Your Property

Vertigo58

Not sure if this question has been asked so merge if needed.

If you own an acre of land and are tired of maintaining the whole thing, wouldn't you consider selling half of it?

I have no use for half of mine and can sell but how? The neighborhood I live in had majority of homes built in late 1930's to early 1940's. Most have or had garage apartments out back OR a seperate home for the owner/landlord to live in. The purpose was for a seperate house to be built in front and owner could either move into or rent out. My property had owners that owned numerous homes in this area. The grandson told me his parents never got around to building the extra home all of these 60 plus years.

Hence, I have a big lot in front with plenty of room for a seperate property where a developer can build a highrise townhome or condo. I am totally supportive. In fact this would start the trend for copycat developers which again I am completely supportive! Would have wooded (east) and city skyline (west) views!

What is one of the 1st steps in putting up a property for sale sign? :)

You will need to get a survey done (I've got an excellent surveyor if you need one) that shows the current boundaries, and the proposed new boundaries. You will then need to get the appropriate forms fromt he city Planning dept to start the replat process in the city.

It isn't the most difficult thing in the world, but can be time consuming. I'm doing it on a couple pieces of land I'm about to start building on.

You will need to get a survey done (I've got an excellent surveyor if you need one) that shows the current boundaries, and the proposed new boundaries. You will then need to get the appropriate forms fromt he city Planning dept to start the replat process in the city.

It isn't the most difficult thing in the world, but can be time consuming. I'm doing it on a couple pieces of land I'm about to start building on.

I have been on this forum since January and have stated to everyone of many similar "already" split properties all just down the lane and no one has discussed why they didnt investigate such a bargain?

or did and did not share any answers or feedback.... :blink:

There are about 2 down the street, undeveloped, and ready for building to go up and no takers? Front of building would have fantastic views of East with woods, West side, perfect city skyline views just 5 minutes from DT!

One has a little garage these young guys built about 3 yrs ago way in back. I asked how he got the land and he said some old man around the corner they knew, was just giving it away at about $3,000.00 dollars as he was too old & worn out to bother with it. I nearly flipped! They were not pulling my leg either. The old-timers or desperate ones around here just say take it! I can think of at least 6 vacant spots with plenty of room for a townhouse. Someone is going to hit the jackpot sooner or later. If people would use common sense and come and see the area of which I speak and not rely on hearsay or stupid police reports. Its not Shangrila but Midtown was no better, in fact it was worse and look at it now. Ok I'm straying. People come buy these cheapie's.

I have been on this forum since January and have stated to everyone of many similar "already" split properties all just down the lane and no one has discussed why they didnt investigate such a bargain?

or did and did not share any answers or feedback.... :blink:

There are about 2 down the street, undeveloped, and ready for building to go up and no takers? Front of building would have fantastic views of East with woods, West side, perfect city skyline views just 5 minutes from DT!

One has a little garage these young guys built about 3 yrs ago way in back. I asked how he got the land and he said some old man around the corner they knew, was just giving it away at about $3,000.00 dollars as he was too old & worn out to bother with it. I nearly flipped! They were not pulling my leg either. The old-timers or desperate ones around here just say take it! I can think of at least 6 vacant spots with plenty of room for a townhouse. Someone is going to hit the jackpot sooner or later. If people would use common sense and come and see the area of which I speak and not rely on hearsay or stupid police reports. Its not Shangrila but Midtown was no better, in fact it was worse and look at it now. Ok I'm straying. People come buy these cheapie's.

If I could find some parcels for ~$5000, I'd scoop them, that's for sure.

The ones that I am replating don't belong to me. They belong to a client who I am building some houses for.

Actually the first step is calling me!

I actively look for lots to develop and if yours is interesting then I could buy it and handle all of the replatting for you.

Also, if it is out of the areas I look for developing, then I could list the property for sale (I am also a Realtor) and still handle the replatting.

Shane

or email me at shane@tropicbrokers.com

Actually the first step is calling me!

I actively look for lots to develop and if yours is interesting then I could buy it and handle all of the replatting for you.

Also, if it is out of the areas I look for developing, then I could list the property for sale (I am also a Realtor) and still handle the replatting.

Shane

or email me at shane@tropicbrokers.com

Mapquest to 45 South Gulf Frwy at about Telephone Rd and Wayside. You (ironically) will see the Carlos Garcia Realty Bldg and turn right or go to next following street and turn right. Work your way into the neighborhood slowly. As soon as you turn in you will begin to see (mostly corner) lots just vacant. Do an aerial view and zoom in. Being there in person is best though. The old adage applies my friends...

Location, location, location! Once again, I stress, area is perfect for singles and couples. Circle the wooded area and imagine you are 2-3 stories above ground. I tell you, once on a 2nd level around here, its a whole other world. Sounds below and foot traffic are not even a concern.

Midtown eat your heart out! and no blasted Greyhound Bus crowds to bother you around here.

Vertigo58, have thought of doing this to mine near you. There is room for a narrow home in back of mine. On 15th st. in Heights [W. of Yale...can't remember exact block] there's a house which was built on a very small lot, kinda like townhome lot. It was built ca. 40/50s for a family member. Knew owners who sold in 80s. Sold very quickly. Great idea. As others have said if mortgaged, start with talking w/them. Can sell anything any size if free & clear & have a willing buyer:). There's no deed restrictions, so HOA/deed restrictions approval would not enter into transaction.

Not sure if this question has been asked so merge if needed.

If you own an acre of land and are tired of maintaining the whole thing, wouldn't you consider selling half of it?

I have no use for half of mine and can sell but how? The neighborhood I live in had majority of homes built in late 1930's to early 1940's. Most have or had garage apartments out back OR a seperate home for the owner/landlord to live in. The purpose was for a seperate house to be built in front and owner could either move into or rent out. My property had owners that owned numerous homes in this area. The grandson told me his parents never got around to building the extra home all of these 60 plus years.

Hence, I have a big lot in front with plenty of room for a seperate property where a developer can build a highrise townhome or condo. I am totally supportive. In fact this would start the trend for copycat developers which again I am completely supportive! Would have wooded (east) and city skyline (west) views!

What is one of the 1st steps in putting up a property for sale sign? :)

Edited by OldHouseLover