Help Asap!

I need help finding a nice affordable hotel in Houston. These people are planing on moving to the area and are visiting for a week. They want to be near the Galleria/Clubs/Downtown/ "what ever is poppin, they want to be there. Can you guys reffer me to a nice Hotel that will impress them? Maybe Hotel Derek or is that to expensive? Thank You!

How about the Intercontinental?

Also, I heard that the rates for the Hilton Americas are not too bad....

Sure, it isnt one of tose UBER-er hotels, but it is still nice.

One of the things you should ask yourself is how are they going to get around?

Intercontinental is nice, but it's rather isolated.

Hilton Americas is nice, but it's far from where you want to be.

Icon? Downtown. No.

Any downtown hotel is probably a no.

I'd recommend the Doubletree, or hotel at the galleria (the name escapes me...winston?).

The reason Why I would exclude Derek or Intercontinental or any other hotel facing 610 is for the same reason, difficulty of access due to construction.

Ricco

...or hotel at the galleria (the name escapes me...winston?)

There are two - Westin Oaks and Westin Galleria. Those two typically aren't a whole lot cheaper than some of the others in the neighborhood.

citykid, can you put a dollar amount on "affordable?" It's kind of hard to make real suggestions without knowing that. What I consider affordable may not be what you consider affordable, and so forth.

One of the best values IMO for downtown hotels is the Marriott Courtyard in the historic Humble Building on Main. It's right next to the Main St. Square MetroRail station and I've seen weekend rates as low as $69/night, which is a bargain for downtown Houston. Granted it won't have the style and pizzazz of a place like Hotel Derek, Hotel Icon, or the Hilton Americas, but it's also about half the cost. I haven't actually been in any of the hotel's rooms but they'll be like any of the newer Courtyards I've stayed in which were fine.

I have seen some very good weekend rates on the Hilton Americas ($99 or less), although lately it seems those rates are harder to come by. Having stayed in both it and Hotel Derek, I actually prefer the Hilton in a lot of ways. Both are great but I love the beds at the newer upscale Hilton properties, which this one has. I sleep like a baby on those.

what ever is poppin, they want to be there.

Big difference between Galleria and Downtown. I'd put em downtown so they could use the rail unless you are babysitting them or they have a rental or whatever. Unless shopping is their reason for visiting then obviously downtown isnt ready *yet*.

Or off the beaten path... Warwick(museums)? Colombe d'Or(montrose)?

Club Quarters by Marriott Hotel Downtown has some really attractive rates both during the week and on weekends. It's new, well located, and seems luxurious by the pictures. Of course, where to stay always comes back to ....how high a priority shopping is versus nightlife and attractions.

Club Quarters by Marriott Hotel Downtown has some really attractive rates both during the week and on weekends.  It's new, well located, and seems luxurious  by the pictures.  Of course, where to stay always comes back  to ....how high a priority shopping is versus nightlife and attractions.

I think you're confused - Club Quarters isn't a Marriott brand. It's a private hotel group for members only. You have to be a member, be a guest of a member, or work for a member organization to get a room there.

I think you meant the Courtyard by Marriott, which I referred to above.

I think they want to stay near the Galleria, price range $100- or below.

These people are moving down here soon. Last time they came His wife was so impressed with the homes in Sugar Land, she really liked that area for them to move to and the price of the homes were really cheap around $250,000. I want them to see that they will like Houston, I liked Boston when I went up there.

The best deal would probably be Courtyard by MArriott on the West Loop near the Galleria. Their weekind rates I beleive are only $69.99/night for two double beds.

If they want a hotel with kitchens in the Galleria, the best deal is Bradford Home Suites on 3330 Sage. I actually stayed there when a family reunion came to town and the hotel is very comfortable.

I think you're confused - Club Quarters isn't a Marriott brand. It's a private hotel group for members only. You have to be a member, be a guest of a member, or work for a member organization to get a room there.

I think you meant the Courtyard by Marriott, which I referred to above.

My error- I thought I had read somewhere that Club Quarters was a Marriott brand. I know about their other properties downtown. And I didn't realize you had to be a member to stay there. I guess the $70 per night weekend rate advertised on Hotels.com IS too good to be true. My wife and I were thinking about trying it out when we go see Les Miserable in March.

My error- I thought I had read somewhere that Club Quarters was a Marriott brand.  I know about their other properties downtown.  And I didn't realize you had to be a member to stay there.  I guess the $70 per night weekend rate advertised on Hotels.com IS too good to be true.  My wife and I were thinking about trying it out when we go see Les Miserable in March.

I think the Club Quarters is available to non-members on weekends. I could be wrong, but that was my impression. I was thinking of trying to stay there on my next visit as well.

Don't write off Derek. You can get deals there occasionally. Try to book online. Look for promotions. Then call the front desk directly (not an 800 number) and ask what their best rate is. My wife got a deal there once for under a hundred a night.

I actually stayed at Club Quarters last week. I was impressed, and I like its close proximity to Main Street and the Light Rail Line. The rates there are indeed good for what you get. (Downtown location, Flat Screen TVs in every room, Complimentary breakfast in the morning, complimentary wine in the evening, High-speed Wireless Internet Access in every room, Very Customer Friendly Staff).

As for Galleria-Area Hotels under $100, I would also recommend the Bradford Home Suites on Sage. I have stayed there many, many times and the rooms are cool (kitchen included). It really is more like a home away from home.

For the price range, I would also recommend the Sheraton Four Points at 2828 SW Freeway (US 59). It has decent views of Downtown and Uptown, and is 5 minutes or less from Galleria, Montrose, and Downtown. I stay here quite frequently too.

I hope that helps.

I would stay away from Marriott courtyard Galleria on the West Loop. It's a literal nightmare to get in and out of the place unless you know the backroads and are willing to exit on Newcastle to get to them easily enough.

Otherwise, the Bradford suites is an excellent recommendation for the price range you're hoping for. Everything else is going to be a bit out of what they might be willing to spend.

Ricco

Does anyone know about Masraffs Restaurant? Is it still open. I think they would like to eat there.

I couldn't tell you first hand, but you could call them.

Masraff's

Serving Euro/American cuisine, Masraff's offers a dine at the Chef's Counter option where the Chef prepares a gourmet six -course dinner of his choosing.

Address:

1025 South Post Oak Lane

Houston, TX 77056

Telephone: 713-355-1975

Fax: 713-355-1965

Category: American, Seafood

Open: MON-THU 11 am-10 pm.

FRI 11 am-11 pm.

SAT 6 pm-11 pm.

SUN 10:30 am-3 pm.

Meals Served: Brunch. Lunch. Dinner.

Cost: Expensive