Brief Description Of Houston

"Automobile" holds forth on Houston, in a car review:

"..Houston has the sharpest divsion between good neighborhood and bad neighborhood that I've ever seen. In a one-block span, we see both a trendy restaurant with a yellow Ferrari 360 Modena parked out front, and a house straight out of The 'Burbs, with boarded-up windows and rats running around on the roof. Socioeconomic schism, thy name is Houston."

:lol:

"Automobile" holds forth on Houston, in a car review:

"..Houston has the sharpest divsion between good neighborhood and bad neighborhood that I've ever seen.  In a one-block span, we see both a trendy restaurant with a yellow Ferrari 360 Modena parked out front, and a house straight out of The 'Burbs, with boarded-up windows and rats running around on the roof.  Socioeconomic schism, thy name is Houston." 

:lol:

I wonder what area could they be talking about. Fourth Ward? Midtown?

One possible explanation for this phenomenon is the rapid transition some neighborhoods, especially those inside the loop, are experiencing.

Obviously, the writer's never spent time in Brooklyn, Queens, the South Side of Chicago or the San Fernando Valley, but I agree that you're prone to see that in, say, the Third Ward, where blocks of run down shotgun houses are bordered by mostly well-preserved two story homes from the early 20th century, which are then bordered by mansions (some of which are larger than what you'd find in River Oaks) even further south. All of this is within a ten or twelve block span of each other, more or less.

Everytime I visit LA I go to a great sushi house that serves a $100 sushi plate to die for. The clientel all drive the 100k plus cars and the place looks like the only building in the block that isnt actively housing crack families. True juxtaposition.

I've never seen anything like that in Houston.

When I lived in Galveston, I regularly got pulled over driving to my favorite mexican restaurant because the police wanted to know what I was doing in such a seedy neighborhood. It was all about the migas. The restaurant was a shack but you'd find the George Mitchell eating there.