Photos around the north side of downtown

telwink

Lots of buildings on the northern 1/3 ~ 1/4 of downtown have some kind of "Justice System" affiliation. That is to say, the majority of them are either County-owned facilities, or else they're privately owned with some kind of legal affiliation. I work in this section of downtown, and I think the north-side of downtown has quite a bit of culture. I think most people come into downtown on the West side (Skyline District), south side (45) and east side (59), so the north side of downtown can be easily overlooked, despite a nice skyline, baseball stadium, allen's landing, the criminal justice system, buffalo bayou, etc. Anyways, here are a few photos I've taken around my stomping grounds over the past several weeks; these are areas I see on a daily basis, so I thought I'd share:

New Civil Courthouse

cch2.jpg

Criminal Courthouse

cjcrawtest.jpg

Criminal Courthouse from Allen's Landing

cjc3.jpg

Criminal Courthouse from the North (facing south)

cjcsunset3.jpg

1910 Courthouse - this building is in the process of being restored back to its 1910 condition

1910courthouse_small.jpg

1910 Courthouse

civilcourthouse.jpg

A shot of the legal district, the corner of the Juvenile Justice Center, & the Cotton Exchange building

skyline_benmilamandcottonexchange.jpg

Juvenile buildnig, Federal Jail, and Cotton Exchange Building

juvenileandfederal.jpg

Minute Maid Park

minutemaid2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. My wife's new office is in the Cotton Exchange Building. I think it's a great buildling. The old school mail drop in the entry is awesome.

Yes! That is an incredibly nice building. Someone actually explained to me last week that the white section at the top is actually one floor with a double-high ceiling and double-high windows. The reason for this was that when the building was constructed, and there would be cotton-show-offs at the beginning of the cotton season, they used this huge room to do-so. Now, from what I understand, it is used for special County functions and conferences, but I'm going to have to go check it out now that I've got this new-found information. Or perhaps you can send your wife on some reconnaissance ? Hehe.

I'll have to ask her if she has access to those floors. She's only been with the County a few months, but already has tons of cool stories. Her window faces into MMP.

She's involved with the Harris County Archives project. Right now they are working with a lot of Roy Miller's Harris County Historian archives.

Lots and lots of neat stuff.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Plaza developed in the suface parking lot between the new Civil and Criminal Courthouses? It was supposed to have a big Lone Star in the middle of it. Anyone know the status of this?

I don't know the details of reasoning, but I believe this plan is in limbo right now. It was my understanding that the construction for such a plaza was supposed to begin already. From what I hear, I think they may be re-considering the use of that part of land. There are several county-related construction projects going on right now, and future plans change quite a bit, so we'll just have to keep our ears open to see what happens to that surface lot. They definitely will turn this plot of land into something, and it would be wonderful if they turn it into a park, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

From wifey re. the top of the Cotton Exchange:

Yes. I have been to the 16th floor. One part of it is used for storage, the other is used for the monthly employee orientation. The architecture is stunning to say the least. The millwork is incredible. At one time, ITC was going to move into it. The executives were to move in...not sure why that never materialized.

Wow. The two at top are courthouses? Those are beautiful. I just wish we could have something like that. ANYTHING.

When I get a car, the first thing I'll do is just drive around downtown. I haven't been there in a while.

Wow. The two at top are courthouses? Those are beautiful.

Yep, the tan colored one (second picture) is the Harris County Criminal Justice Center, which houses the County Criminal Courts and the State District Courts. The first picture is the brand-spanking-new Harris County Civil Courthouse, which houses the County Civil Courts at Law, the State District Civil Courts at Law, and various Probate courts, as well as the County/District clerks' offices. They're both pretty nice buildings.

Archived