Powerline clearance?

Does anyone know how far a new residential structure must be from a powerline? (the powerline that the home is tapped off of...not a high voltage transmission line)

I've talked to the permit office twice and two builders and have heard 4 different answers:

1) As long as your building is clear of the utility easement, you're OK

2) You have to have 5 ft of horizontal clearance between your structure's footprint and the powerline's footprint

3) No part of the structure can be within a 10 ft arc off the powerline

4) The powerline must be 10 ft from any window opening. Otherwise, you have to be 3 ft from the powerline. Does not apply to non-opening windows.

I guess though that more relevant question is...what is actually enforced, and who enforces it? I've heard the city enforces this item, but I have also heard the city doesn't care - it is up to Centerpoint to enforce.

i would guess 1 is true...but the window consideration would be a good point wrt safety.

Actually, there is more to it than just number 1. Hate to be vague, but I believe it is a combination of the other 3. I have heard the 5 foot horizontal rule, but I suspect there is also a window requirement.

Actually, there is more to it than just number 1. Hate to be vague, but I believe it is a combination of the other 3. I have heard the 5 foot horizontal rule, but I suspect there is also a window requirement.

yeah i can believe it. i didn't even think of the possible window requirement til he mentioned it. i went out earlier and measured mine. the phone/cable lines are about 2 feet from my garage roof so i don't see a garage apt in my future

Archived