Katy Neighborhoods

infojunkie

Hi, I have been looking for houses west of 99 and I found a house in Cinco Ranch at Seven Meadows last week. However, I have some concerns about the neighborhood. It was a Friday afternoon, and I saw cars parking on the streets and driveways in 60% of the houses. Isn't Cinco Ranch has strict HOA policy against such practices? I also looked at houses in Falcon Ranch that afternoon and I did not see cars parked like that. Should I avoid the Cinco Ranch at Seven Meadows nieghborhood? Any other neighborhoods I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Unless you are a farmer, I see no reason to live outside the loop.

I have a deep and passionate hate for the Katy area in general. Primarily because of all of the ridiculous excuses for "Master Planned Communities". They are worse there than just about anywhere else in Houston.

I have a deep and passionate hate for the Katy area in general. Primarily because of all of the ridiculous excuses for "Master Planned Communities". They are worse there than just about anywhere else in Houston.

As a Katy resident I'm not sure how to respond to this post. In fact, I'm not sure what your talking about.

Anyway... Infojunkie, I live in Cinco Ranch and there is indeed a restriction for parked cars (I believe it's 24hrs), although it's not strictly enforced. The neighborhood is very clean, well maintained, has some nice amenities, and the Crime rate is low for the most part. The HOA for my hood is pretty strict with most things including... 1 weed in the expansion joint of my driveway. So they can be a little anal but it keeps the area nice and also keeps my property values up.

All in all it's a great place to live and commute from as you've got great road infrastructure at almost all points. I can get to the Galleria in 20 minutes at almost anytime of the day via Westpark Tollroad. Of course the weekday mornings can be a little hairy.

As a Katy resident I'm not sure how to respond to this post. In fact, I'm not sure what your talking about.

Anyway... Infojunkie, I live in Cinco Ranch and there is indeed a restriction for parked cars (I believe it's 24hrs), although it's not strictly enforced. The neighborhood is very clean, well maintained, has some nice amenities, and the Crime rate is low for the most part. The HOA for my hood is pretty strict with most things including... 1 weed in the expansion joint of my driveway. So they can be a little anal but it keeps the area nice and also keeps my property values up.

All in all it's a great place to live and commute from as you've got great road infrastructure at almost all points. I can get to the Galleria in 20 minutes at almost anytime of the day via Westpark Tollroad. Of course the weekday mornings can be a little hairy.

Gary,

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I like Katy neighborhoods, so clean and well maintained, that's the reason I decided to look for a house there. May be the Cinco Ranch at Seven Meadows HOA does not strictly enforcing the restriction. I will continue to look, but because of that, I hold off on pursuing that house.

I work in downtown, so I will be taking the bus in the morning. I guess I will have to fight traffic going to the bus stop, but at least I don't have to fight traffic all the way to downtown.

2 things...

I *believe* it is okay to park in the driveway, but not to park in the street in Cinco Ranch... that is how I understood the deed restrictions, that is.

However, we are in the "Sedona" section of Cinco... off Fry right next to Seven Meadows. There is construction every 2-3 houses... so for the time being a little bit of a mess. I don't think the deed restrictions are being so strongly enforced b/c of the mess right now.

There is a house 3-4 lots down that is parking a company truck in the street nightly. I bet he gets away with it now... but will be in for a surprise later!

We bought our home while the builder was still selling out of "Logans Hollow" last Feb. Over there they were just finishing the last of the houses and still a little chaotic/messy. Drove through last weekend and everything neat as a pin.

Sedona will build out this Feb/March so I keep my eye on the prize that this time next year the dust will settle, lawns will be mowed, no construction trash, and company car out of the street! (at least his soon-to-be-built neighbors will have something to be said about that)

There is a house 3-4 lots down that is parking a company truck in the street nightly. I bet he gets away with it now... but will be in for a surprise later!

The guy works hard to give his family nice home and schools... Leave him alone about his truck. Is his company truck in the street really causing a problem? I understand why families live in the burbs but when so many of those people have OCD and cause problems over a hard-working persons truck in the street or if the grass isn't between 1.5 and 2.5 inches tall that is a problem.

Edited by Ethanra

The guy works hard to give his family nice home and schools... Leave him alone about his truck. Is his company truck in the street really causing a problem? I understand why families live in the burbs but when so many of those people have OCD and cause problems over a hard-working persons truck in the street or if the grass isn't between 1.5 and 2.5 inches tall that is a problem.

I don't think anyone questioned whether the guy is a hard worker or wanted to provide for his family. The fact is he knew the deed restrictions attached to the house when he moved in and agreed to live by those rules. In the short term will a service van here or there will not cause any problems, but keeping the nieghborhood nice and neat is what perpetuates the great schools and neighborhood this guy so desires. If you allow this, who to say a long haul trucker can't park his semi cab in front of his house for a week while waiting for his next run? Take a drive around the Katy area and venture into some older neighborhoods like the first sections of Cinco and them compare them to other subdivisions that don't enforce deed restrictions.

I don't think anyone questioned whether the guy is a hard worker or wanted to provide for his family. The fact is he knew the deed restrictions attached to the house when he moved in and agreed to live by those rules. In the short term will a service van here or there will not cause any problems, but keeping the nieghborhood nice and neat is what perpetuates the great schools and neighborhood this guy so desires. If you allow this, who to say a long haul trucker can't park his semi cab in front of his house for a week while waiting for his next run? Take a drive around the Katy area and venture into some older neighborhoods like the first sections of Cinco and them compare them to other subdivisions that don't enforce deed restrictions.

I agree. Everyone knows the deed restrictions when they move to a neighborhood. If they're not enforced, the neighborhood loses many of the elements that made it desirable in the first place.

I have a deep and passionate hate for the INNER LOOP area in general. Primarily because of all of the ridiculous excuses for "FAMILY FRIENDLY AND CRIME FREE COMMUNITIES". They are worse there than just about anywhere else in Houston.

CyKat

Edited by CyKat

I've never understood the burbs, with the three car garages and people can't even fit one car in. How much crap can somebody have that FILLS a three car garage? If you are storing it in the garage, in Houston so it can bake 9 months of the year, it must not be that important.

Good points and I agree. Rules are Rules... I just feel bad for the guy because some lady with nothing else to do is going to bust his balls about a work van....

infojunkie,

I really suggest talking to a realtor if you don't have one already. Cinco Ranch has many small communities inside of it with different builders that have different reputations and pricepoint. Falcon Ranch is a smaller community. Both are very similar. I would say in both areas you looked the 60% of cars in the driveway are normal. If resale values are important to you, just being in Cinco Ranch will help you sell it quicker and probably have a higher appreciation. However, you get more house for the same amount of money in Falcon Ranch. It just depends on what you are looking for.

I have friends that live in both, and have clients buy and sell in both. It really depends on price and what you are looking for and there are many options around the area.

If you have additional questions, feel free to message me and I will be happy to answer any you have.

please please no burbs/outlying cities vs. Houston proper - we all have our reasons for making choices about where we live.

as far as parking in Cinco Ranch, page 25 (31 pdf) of the deed restrictions explains it all:

http://www.cincoranchpoa.com/pdf/2004-11-0...0Amendments.pdf

Sevfiv,

where did you find that link? Is there a general site where I might look at other neighborhoods restrictions ib the area?

Can I just say that a lot of HOA's don't release their full restrictions to buyers until day of closing..................too late then?

And don't shout at the builder, its a development issue.

If your real estate agent can't get their hands on some HOA docs, I say you should get a new agent. It's not like they are some secret articles for an underground organization ;)

"Hard working guy" could just as easily chosen a home with a detatched garage, thus a longer driveway. "hard working guy" could even consider parking one of his 2 ginormous SUV's in the garage, thus creating room in his current driveway for company truck.

Is it really that big of a deal... maybe, maybe not... but obviously by reading from the original poster it causes would-be buyers to "wonder" about the neighborhood.

And it's in the rules. HOA's aren't for everybody, we have a choice to choose where to live.

In my family growing up we had up to 7 vehicles, some were work trucks, some weren't dependable, some for a safe fuel efficiant drive as we were in a small town 50 miles from the nearest doctor, supermarket, etc... Would it have made sense for us to live smack in the middle of town with all our cars clogging the street? We instead lived in a house with a large shop/lot in the back.

If this "hard working guy" guy needs 3 large vehicles, he needs to choose a house to fit is needs.

Sevfiv,

where did you find that link? Is there a general site where I might look at other neighborhoods restrictions ib the area?

i can't find a non-pdf direct link, but you can go to the parent site, http://www.cincoranchpoa.com/ , and then

mouse-over Documents and Forms --> Legal Documents. there are links to by-laws, etc for Cinco I and II.

My agent told me Cinco Ranch at Seven Meadows has rules that cars cannot park on the streets or driveways 24 hours; however, it looks like the rules are not enforced. My family used to live in a nice neighborhood in Alief in the late 70s. Slowly the neighborhood changed, cars started parking on the driveways, then on the streets. By mid 80s, the neighborhood was like a used car lot, HOA kept sending warnings, but no actions; therefore, no one care. We moved out in the late 80s, by then, cars were on the streets 24 hours, some houses had cars parked 4 cars on the driveway, dogs running around the neighborhood. That's the reason, when I saw so many cars on the driveways and streets, I immediatedly saw a red light.

from the Cinco Ranch protective covenants...

Section 2. Parking and Prohibited Vehicles.

(a) Parking. Vehicles shall be parked only in the garage or driveway serving the Unit, or in such other paved areas as have been approved by the Board of Directors for parking vehicles. A maximum of two (2) occupant vehicles may be parked outside of the garage, if any, serving the Unit. For purposes of this provision, a vehicle shall be considered an "occupant vehicle" if it is parked on the Unit four (4) or more hours per day, four (4) or more days in any seven (7) day period. The Board of Directors may authorize on-street parking on a temporary basis for visitors and guests, subject to reasonable rules and regulations. No garage shall be enclosed, modified or otherwise used so as to reduce its capacity for parking vehicles below that originally approved by the NCC unless alternative arrangements for enclosed parking are approved by the NCC; however, a builder may temporarily convert a garage into a sales or construction office, provided that it is converted back to a garage within thirty (30) days after cessation of construction and sale of new homes within the Properties by such builder. Garage doors visible from any street within the Properties shall remain closed except during ingress or egress or when the garage is actively being used by the Owner or occupant.

(B) Prohibited Vehicles. Commercial vehicles, vehicles with commercial writing on their exteriors, vehicles primarily used or designed for commercial purposes, tractors, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, trailers (either with or without wheels), campers, camper trailers, boats and other watercraft, and boat trailers shall be parked only in enclosed garages or areas, if any, designated by the Board or by the Neighborhood Association, if any, having jurisdiction over parking areas within a particular Neighborhood. Stored vehicles and vehicles which are either obviously inoperable or do not have current operating licenses shall not be permitted on the Properties except within enclosed garages. Vehicles that become inoperable while on the Properties must be removed within seventy-two (72) hours thereof. For purposes of this Section, a vehicle shall be considered "stored" if it is put up on blocks or covered with a tarpaulin and remains on blocks or so covered for fourteen (14) consecutive days without the prior approval of the Board. Notwithstanding the foregoing, service and delivery vehicles may be parked in the Properties during daylight hours for such period of time as is reasonably necessary to provide service or to make a delivery to a Unit or the Common Areas. Any vehicle parked in violation of this Section or parking rules promulgated by the Board may be towed in accordance with Article III, Section 22 of the By-Laws.

i live in the "burbs" between fry, clay, barker-cypress, and i-10, and feel like im from the city when i go to places like cinco ranch. drive down grand parkway and everything looksi live in the "burbs" between fry, clay, barker-cypress, and i-10, and feel like im from the city when i go to places like cinco ranch. drive down grand parkway and everything looks EXACTLY THE SAME.i live in the "burbs" between fry, clay, barker-cypress, and i-10, and feel like im from the city when i go to places like cinco ranch. drive down grand parkway and everything looks EXACTLY THE SAME. my area is perfect for me. but i really wouldnt like living in a place where everything and everyone are exactly alike. IMHO...thats all.

Hi, I have been looking for houses west of 99 and I found a house in Cinco Ranch at Seven Meadows last week. However, I have some concerns about the neighborhood. It was a Friday afternoon, and I saw cars parking on the streets and driveways in 60% of the houses. Isn't Cinco Ranch has strict HOA policy against such practices? I also looked at houses in Falcon Ranch that afternoon and I did not see cars parked like that. Should I avoid the Cinco Ranch at Seven Meadows nieghborhood? Any other neighborhoods I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should go live in Bear Creek area