Traffic Worse Along Highway 59 Between First Colony And Grand Parkway

sifuwong

I've noticed the traffic is even worse in the past 2 weeks when they actually widened the lanes between First colony before the Grand Parkway exit. It goes to 4 lanes after First Colony before going back to 2 lanes about a mile before the Grand Parkway exit. Isn't traffic suppose to be better? In the past with the construction, it has been 2 lanes and the traffic was at least moving smoother and faster, but with the temporary 4 lanes, it has gotten worse. F*** up big time!! Gee, i wonder when people start moving into the Telfair area, how much worse it will be. Bad times ahead!!

• 4 weeks later...

How long would a commute from Hwy 6 and 59 to the galleria take? (sugar creek edition) We are moving back to Houston from Canada, and we want a decent commute for my husband(less than 40 minutes if possible). We have been spoiled by the traffic in Calgary, as it takes my husband 5-10 minutes to get to work here!

The backup weekday afternoons on 59 southbound starting in the First Colony area is just brutal. One of the worst bottlenecks I think I've seen. I don't drive it every day, but have done so maybe 10 or so times in the last couple months. After 3:00 forget it, you're stuck. It's 8 lanes ( 4 main lanes, diamond lane, 3 service road lanes) merging into 2 as you cross the Brazos. Misreable. And there's almost no alternative route.

It looks like they have a long way to go too. They haven't even poured concrete for the main lanes south of the river, and there's not even beams for the new bridges yet.

This project needs to be SPED UP !

How long would a commute from Hwy 6 and 59 to the galleria take? (sugar creek edition) We are moving back to Houston from Canada, and we want a decent commute for my husband(less than 40 minutes if possible). We have been spoiled by the traffic in Calgary, as it takes my husband 5-10 minutes to get to work here!

I leave the house by 6:30 and get to work by 7:00, and I'm 3 miles off of Hwy 6 and Hwy 59. From that specific intersection you could probably do it in less time. However, the later you leave the worse it gets. I can't say how long it takes later in the morning.

I leave the house by 6:30 and get to work by 7:00, and I'm 3 miles off of Hwy 6 and Hwy 59. From that specific intersection you could probably do it in less time. However, the later you leave the worse it gets. I can't say how long it takes later in the morning.

Thanks for the information. My husband leaves for work early too. It just makes sense when you live in a crowded city like Houston. We sure will miss the light traffic in a smaller town.

The backup weekday afternoons on 59 southbound starting in the First Colony area is just brutal. One of the worst bottlenecks I think I've seen. I don't drive it every day, but have done so maybe 10 or so times in the last couple months. After 3:00 forget it, you're stuck. It's 8 lanes ( 4 main lanes, diamond lane, 3 service road lanes) merging into 2 as you cross the Brazos. Misreable. And there's almost no alternative route.

It looks like they have a long way to go too. They haven't even poured concrete for the main lanes south of the river, and there's not even beams for the new bridges yet.

This project needs to be SPED UP !

I agree that it is bad. But it is absolutely better than it was before they finished the lanes out to University (contrary to what the original poster said). As I said earlier, my commute from the Galleria to Greatwood has been reduced by an average of 10 minutes in the evenings, from about 50 minutes total to 40 minutes.

Traffic was better when they kept the 2 lanes with ongoing construction until a couple of months ago. Now, they widened it to 4 lanes past First Colony, then back to 2 lanes after University. This has made traffic worse. They should've just kept it at 2 lanes until they completely finish construction by end of next year.

Traffic was better when they kept the 2 lanes with ongoing construction until a couple of months ago. Now, they widened it to 4 lanes past First Colony, then back to 2 lanes after University. This has made traffic worse. They should've just kept it at 2 lanes until they completely finish construction by end of next year.

Seriously - you really believe this? My commute is 10 minutes shorter! That's a fact!!

• The title was changed to Traffic Worse Along Highway 59 Between First Colony And Grand Parkway