Gardens At Westgreen In Katy

GrandLakes

There is some sort of building being built in the parking lot of Gardens at Westgreen (NE Corner of Westgreen and I-10). It looks like a restaurant. Does anybody know what it is?

Looks very similar to the design and materials used for the Texas Roadhouse restaurants that I have seen around town. I could be wrong though as their website doesn't mention a thing about a location in Katy.

DUDE!!! That link you posted - if you look at page 3 (the site plan) it has the Texas Roadhouse logo on it. It is a PDF file so I know you didn't put it there - so I think we have confirmation that it is indeed a Texas Roadhouse!!!

Awesome - what a great restaurant.

Yeah, I am looking at them working on it right now, LITERALLY ! They are putting the black paper on the roof, getting ready to put the shingles on. I would say it is about a month from completion.

I hope it's better than the other crap they have over there. Do they do any business over there? I went to Chang's a couple times and the food was decent but the service really sucks. That whole area look like a failure.

Texas Roadhouse reminds me of the movie "Field of Dreams"........ "If we build it, they will come" ................ Texas Roadhouse will bring them in..... Is the parking lot big enough?...... Slick Willies and Cold Stone should see a jump in their business due to Texas Roadhouse......

• 3 weeks later...
To me...the north side of katy is getting more high-end stores and restaurants...because diversity attracts them....all the new stuff is going on in katy..like the new memorial hermann katy hospital....the grand mall..gardens westgreen........and more to come.

So you are saying diversity attracts high end retail? Oh, and diversity is the reason for the new hospital in Katy also!

This defies logic to me could you explain, or give examples.

Or nevermind.

Glad to see a roadhouse coming in here.

I'd like to thank the illegal immigrants in the area for their contributing to the new Hooters being built in the Katy area too.

Edited by westguy76

That is totally not true, Trae!~ Because if that was the reason then the new mall would be in the southwest intersection of the grandparkway and katy freeway, instead of being on the northeast side. Even though Katy Mills is right next to that land, it wouldn't compete with the high-end shops of the mall. What do you think?...again this is just my opinion. (Besides, there is a piece of land the same size or even bigger than the Gardens Westgren Shopping Center is on the Southeast corner of the Katy Freeway and Westgreen Boulevard).

I believe Mac Haik used to own alot of that land and sold it off towards the end of the 90's. Oh, and ekarl, you contradicted yourself. Trae said "that's where the land is." He was referring to the NORTHSIDE, which is the side your highend retail is going, at the corner of Pin Oak and I-10.

Edited by TJones

That is totally not true, Trae!~ Because if that was the reason then the new mall would be in the southwest intersection of the grandparkway and katy freeway, instead of being on the northeast side. Even though Katy Mills is right next to that land, it wouldn't compete with the high-end shops of the mall. What do you think?...again this is just my opinion. (Besides, there is a piece of land the same size or even bigger than the Gardens Westgren Shopping Center is on the Southeast corner of the Katy Freeway and Westgreen Boulevard).

1. The land the mall is one was originally being developed for a Houston Premium Outlet center. Katy Mills mall was being built at the same time, sued and settled with the Simon group, who was developing HPO. (story here: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....80321&EDATE=)

2. Simon had already built the roads, etc for HPO, and now had to sell it or develop it for something else. It's been sitting there for 8 years and is finally being developed.

3. The land available at the SW corner of 99 and I-10 is not as large as the land that the Simon mall currently sits on, even if it were available (much of it is slated for some other development; for example, a new subdivision, the Reserve at Grand Parkway, is to be developed soon just north of the soon to be extended Kingsland Rd.)

There is more land available on the north side of I-10 - a lot of the undeveloped land on the south side has already been purchased, awaiting development. And I would assume that b/c the availibility of land on the south side is scarce, what is there is more expensive real estate, making development along the north side more cost-effective.

And I'm with the other poster - I would NOT want the Grand to be developed on the south side, where I happen to live, because I would not want to deal the with increased traffic at a major intersection, crime, etc. But it will be nice to drive the 5 or 10 minutes there instead of having to take the Tollway to the Galleria.

1. The land the mall is one was originally being developed for a Houston Premium Outlet center. Katy Mills mall was being built at the same time, sued and settled with the Simon group, who was developing HPO. (story here: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....80321&EDATE=)

2. Simon had already built the roads, etc for HPO, and now had to sell it or develop it for something else. It's been sitting there for 8 years and is finally being developed.

3. The land available at the SW corner of 99 and I-10 is not as large as the land that the Simon mall currently sits on, even if it were available (much of it is slated for some other development; for example, a new subdivision, the Reserve at Grand Parkway, is to be developed soon just north of the soon to be extended Kingsland Rd.)

There is more land available on the north side of I-10 - a lot of the undeveloped land on the south side has already been purchased, awaiting development. And I would assume that b/c the availibility of land on the south side is scarce, what is there is more expensive real estate, making development along the north side more cost-effective.

And I'm with the other poster - I would NOT want the Grand to be developed on the south side, where I happen to live, because I would not want to deal the with increased traffic at a major intersection, crime, etc. But it will be nice to drive the 5 or 10 minutes there instead of having to take the Tollway to the Galleria.

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself.

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself.

I did forget one very important FACT: the marketing fliers for all of these new developments focus on population of the surrounding area (numbers, NOT racial makeup), traffic counts in the area, and most importantly, household income. Retailers don't care about racial diversity (unless it is a store catering to a specific race), they want to know if a location will support their product. Dollar General Store and Big Lots are not going to lease a spot where the average household income within a 3 mile radius is well over $100,000. That's not their market. A large mall, like the Grand, is looking at demographics over a broader range - maybe 10 miles. And Neiman Marcus would NOt be opening a location at the Grand if the population and household income within 10 miles was not high enough. They don't care what color your skin is, just how fat your wallet is.

http://www.interfin.com/images/Grand%20Pkwy%20Flyer.pdf

We need a PF Changs out here in the Katy area. One at La Centerra, or near JC Penney would be nice. I think there is already a Chinese restaurant in Gardens at Westgreen.

We definitely need a PF Changs out here. Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory need to follow.

• 1 month later...
OK, you have some issues. :lol: Just because you live on the north side of the freeway doesnt mean you have to say you have it better. All you do is talk about how good your side has it and oviously your are very biased. And for your information, it seems to be equal of how much retail we are getting on the southside. We also get to enjoy the mall without having to deal with the crimes and traffic too close to home.
1. The land the mall is one was originally being developed for a Houston Premium Outlet center. Katy Mills mall was being built at the same time, sued and settled with the Simon group, who was developing HPO. (story here: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....80321&EDATE=)2. Simon had already built the roads, etc for HPO, and now had to sell it or develop it for something else. It's been sitting there for 8 years and is finally being developed.3. The land available at the SW corner of 99 and I-10 is not as large as the land that the Simon mall currently sits on, even if it were available (much of it is slated for some other development; for example, a new subdivision, the Reserve at Grand Parkway, is to be developed soon just north of the soon to be extended Kingsland Rd.)There is more land available on the north side of I-10 - a lot of the undeveloped land on the south side has already been purchased, awaiting development. And I would assume that b/c the availibility of land on the south side is scarce, what is there is more expensive real estate, making development along the north side more cost-effective.And I'm with the other poster - I would NOT want the Grand to be developed on the south side, where I happen to live, because I would not want to deal the with increased traffic at a major intersection, crime, etc. But it will be nice to drive the 5 or 10 minutes there instead of having to take the Tollway to the Galleria.
exactly! we enjoy the benefits of the mall without the negatives!

What is all this "we enjoy the mall without the negatives" crap. If there was crime at all, it would only be around the mall and not all over North Katy like many want to believe.

if the mall was built on our side, we would have increased traffic on our side, when we can drive a few extra minutes to the mall w/o having to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...
You are still going to be in traffic. The intersection of I-10 and The Grand Parkway is the only area where traffic will be. The Grand Parkway northbound will have a lot of traffic, too.

I think the idea is that south Katy residents won't be impacted by the mall traffic unless they're actually going to the mall.

Not that much worse is all I'm saying. Traffic will only be bad around the area of the mall. You won't notice much if you are in one of the neighborhoods. Most of the traffic will be coming from the south side of the Grand Parkway and the Katy Freeway.

Not that much worse is all I'm saying. Traffic will only be bad around the area of the mall. You won't notice much if you are in one of the neighborhoods. Most of the traffic will be coming from the south side of the Grand Parkway and the Katy Freeway.

We are not talking about the traffic getting worse in the neighborhoods - it's the traffic at 99 and I-10 that we are concerned with - since you live in Firethorne, 99 is probably not your lifeline in and out of Katy as much as others. For many of us, we access I-10 via 99. The congestion of traffic getting in and out of a mall is significant. Have you ever been to the Sugarland mall at Hwy 6 and 59? I avoid that intersection like the plague!

If there was crime at all, it would only be around the mall and not all over North Katy like many want to believe.

No one said anything about crime being "all over". Same issue with the traffic - no one said it would be all over south Katy.

And "if there was crime at all". Please! A mall always brings crime. Check statistics if you must. People go shopping with cash, credit cards, etc. Lots of people. And the stores have lots of merchandise to steal. So, believe me, the thieves will be there. And the area immediately around the mall will probably see an increase in burglaries, too. Statistics will bear that out. I wouldn't want my neighborhood to abut a mall for that very reason.