Poll: Should blogs be added to HAIF?

editor

Should HAIF allow members to blog?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a blogging feature on HAIF?

• Yes - I would start my own blog
    • Yes - I would read other people's blogs
    • Yes - Other
    • Don't Care
    • No - Other
    • No - I wouldn't read other people's blogs
    • No - I wouldn't start my own blog

A couple of years ago I threw out the idea of purchasing the blogging plug-in for HAIF. It would allow any active member of the forum to have their own blog right here on HAIF that everyone else can see and comment on and interact with.

At the time, people didn't seem interested. But now two years later I think people are more familiar with blogs than they once were. So, I'm revisiting the issue.

Here's some of the features:

--------------

Content Blocks

Each Blog can enable some pre-installed content blocks like Mini calendar, My Blog links, Last 10 Blog Entries, Last 10 Blog Comments, My Gallery Albums, My Picture, Search, Categories. In addition custom content blocks can be created. In addition all content blocks can be managed using drag/drop in your Blog page.

Customization

Many customization settings are at your disposal. These settings are all available in via the Blog settings window available in each Blog.

Private

Each Blog owner can decide who can see their entries. The whole Blog can be marked as private, or individual categories. Specifying a list of members who can see your entries also belongs to the possibilities.

Join the Blogosphere

Comments, trackbacks, pings and RSS feeds all belong to the standard features of IP.Blog. These all help your members interact with their audience and be part of the Blogosphere.

I am a blogger, but I had too much SPAM, so all my newer post have been privatized.

Would depend if the blog software you want to use is more impressive than that of blogspot for me.

I think it depends on how you define "impressive."

The HAIF blog software wouldn't be nearly as customizable as the metric assload of plug-ins and themes available for Blogspot.

But the HAIF blog software would have the benefit of being on HAIF where all of your HAIF friends are automatically members and will see what you have to say without having to go over to Blogspot.

And thought I'm not an internet security expert, my impression is that the HAIF blog software would be somewhat more secure. Since Blogspot is such a big target there's a lot of effort on the part of the hacker community to attack it. But then, it's not like HAIF hasn't been hit by hackers before, either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A couple of years ago I threw out the idea of purchasing the blogging plug-in for HAIF. It would allow any active member of the forum to have their own blog right here on HAIF that everyone else can see and comment on and interact with.

At the time, people didn't seem interested. But now two years later I think people are more familiar with blogs than they once were. So, I'm revisiting the issue.

What is your vision for people bloggin on HAIF? What would be the purpose?

What is your vision for people bloggin on HAIF? What would be the purpose?

Mostly to encourage the members to write more. By giving them their own space to express themselves I hope they might feel more secure in sharing their thoughts. I think blogs give people the opportunity to write a little more long-form than in a regular forum post. And I think people might feel less likely to be persecuted by griefers if they have their own space that they're in charge of.

Mostly to encourage the members to write more. By giving them their own space to express themselves I hope they might feel more secure in sharing their thoughts. I think blogs give people the opportunity to write a little more long-form than in a regular forum post. And I think people might feel less likely to be persecuted by griefers if they have their own space that they're in charge of.

Good point!

Then there's that trusty "block" tab so we dont have to see/hear the constant whining, self-riteous and political statements from specific loonie/s. The blog almost sounds like just giving the baby his candy so he will stop ranting. Maybe we should do it? That way if others want to listen to bitchery they can just go into that jerks blog, do it!

These are the very ones that prevent newcomers from joining. True

Ottimo!

I tend to like proprietary blogs too ... Puma I think you use Blogger like me and it has a lot of nice features. I wish there was a blog aggregator (there probably is and I just don't know about it). I read a lot of them and get notified through RSS and that helps, but there are just too many people blogging these days to cut through the clutter.

Question, would new blog posts show up in the View New Posts section or would it be something else to click on? I personally wouldn't want blog entries to show up in that tab.

Edited by houstonmacbro

I tend to like proprietary blogs too ... Puma I think you use Blogger like me and it has a lot of nice features. I wish there was a blog aggregator (there probably is and I just don't know about it). I read a lot of them and get notified through RSS and that helps, but there are just too many people blogging these days to cut through the clutter.

Question, would new blog posts show up in the View New Posts section or would it be something else to click on? I personally wouldn't want blog entries to show up in that tab.

I'm not sure. I've asked customer support. I'll let you know what comes back.

The answer is "no" -- new blog entries don't show up in the View New Posts list.

Well, that's a good thing. I say go for it if you think it is good for the HAIF community. On the other hand, I doubt I will switch from Blogger to start blogging here, but I wouldn't mind reading other people's blogs if they are easily accessible here.

Well, that's a good thing. I say go for it if you think it is good for the HAIF community. On the other hand, I doubt I will switch from Blogger to start blogging here, but I wouldn't mind reading other people's blogs if they are easily accessible here.

I don't really expect many people to *switch* to HAIF. There's no reason to do so unless your blog is VERY Houston specific and you're interested in reaching a very Houston audience instead of a broader one.

I haven't evaluated the features of the blogging module, but it makes sense that it wouldn't be as robust as a company like Blogger that's dedicated to that one task.

That said, would you (or anyone else who blogs elsewhere) see any benefit in double-posting? That is, posting both on your regular blog and the same entries here on HAIF to get the attention of the HAIF community?

willt he blogging module at least allow for username.houstonarchitecture.info in case they want to send someone their blog?

That's not really a function of the blogging software, it's a domain name issue. I could do it, but I'd have to add them manually.

The only problem is that my host charges $1/month for third-level domains, so I'd either have to pass the cost on to the blogger, or the blogger would have to be compelling enough to draw regular readers.

I could set up houstonarchitecture.info/ExampleBlog for free, though.

And I could throw in an @houstonarchitecture.info e-mail address for free as well.

You could always offer that as part of the subscription package.

PS: I am supposed to head to Chicago November 14th. Interested in grabbing a few drinks? I know I'm going to be going to the West Egg for breakfast every morning.

Edited by gwilson

You could always offer that as part of the subscription package.

PS: I am supposed to head to Chicago November 14th. Interested in grabbing a few drinks? I know I'm going to be going to the West Egg for breakfast every morning.

I'm seven blocks from there. PM me your arrival/departure dates.

• 2 months later...