Why Is Houston So Slow?

New York is only 375-380 square ft. and houston is over 700-1000 square ft. Now tell me who is the biggest?

What you looking at is the buildings new york has that makes the downtown look bigger, cause the buildings is bunch up together. Houston could swallow new york in square ft, not in buildings and still have room. L.A. and Chi Town is about the same square ft as New york.

Oh i like to add. The cities i just mention they running out of land, and they soon will be building on the outskirts. Houston will continue building in the city limits for years. We have enough land to start another city really. Look at new york. They building on top of buildings, cause they ran out of land.

New York is only 375-380 square ft. and houston is over 700-1000 square ft. Now tell me who is the biggest?

What you looking at is the buildings new york has that makes the downtown look bigger, cause the buildings is bunch up together. Houston could swallow new york in square ft, not in buildings and still have room. L.A. and Chi Town is about the same square ft as New york.

I think NY downtown proper may be small but greater downtown area is quite large. By greater downtown area, I mean Uptown, Midtown, Upper West Side, Upper East side etc. Since they are in one continuous region, the skyline is huge.

Similarly, in Chicago, downtown proper is the area known as the Loop and is faily compact. However, when people talk about Chicago downtown, they include the entire area from Lincoln park to South Loop.

That is why I said in ealier post that not every new development has to go inside Houston downtown proper. If we have sufficient concentration of high-rise/mid-rise buildings in midtown, we can have a continous skyline from downtown to TMC which, meanwhile, is ever growing and extending further south.

What?

Manhattan island has over 400 million square feet of office space, 70 million in the downtown area alone.

Chicago has 120-130 million square feet in the downtown area.

Houston has a little over 40 million square feet downtown.

LA has 25 million downtown.

What?

Manhattan island has over 400 million square feet of office space, 70 million in the downtown area alone.

Chicago has 120-130 million square feet in the downtown area.

Houston has a little over 40 million square feet downtown.

LA has 25 million downtown.

I think houstonsemipro was probably comparing the square footage of downtown area and not the square footage of office space.

Huh? My apartment is right at 1,000 square feet. Are you telling me that it's nearly three times the size of Manhattan and about the same size as downtown Houston?

Last time I checked none of neither city's skyscrapers would fit in my living room. Try to get your facts straight before posting something ridiculous like that.

Okay, I done some resreach, and I'm finding out that I'm 2 out of 5 right. Here is the statistical of the 5 major cities that I done resreach on.

CITY/TOWN/ZONA URBANA

Chicago - 14000

Dallas - 19000

Houston - 35000

Los Angeles - 44000

New York - 51000

CMSA (consolidated metropolitan statistical area)

Chicago - 1602

Dallas - 1922

Houston - 3362

Los Angeles - 4472

New York - 5602

Okay, I done some resreach, and I'm finding out that I'm 2 out of 5 right. Here is the statistical of the 5 major cities that I done resreach on.

CITY/TOWN/ZONA URBANA

Chicago - 14000

Dallas - 19000

Houston - 35000

Los Angeles - 44000

New York - 51000

CMSA (consolidated metropolitan statistical area)

Chicago - 1602

Dallas - 1922

Houston - 3362

Los Angeles - 4472

New York - 5602

Name one thing that Austin has that Houston does not.  No doubt they have more posers than Houston does. 

I just don't see the point in Houston manufacturing a "centralized identity."  How is that holding Houston back?

I agree. I like Austin for its hills, lakes, people and laid-back ambience. People are lured to Austin primarily for its natural beauty and, lets face it, Houston doesnt have much in the way of natural beauty and so we cant sell it on that basis. However, as far as urbanity goes, I think Houston has an edge. I even know someone who moved to Austin from Houston, got bored and moved back to Houston. I can think of only two primary happening spots in Austin: 6th street area and Mozart cafe.

Having said, I dont think Houston got what I would like it to have as a big city. However, moving forward, we should be really looking up to truly urban and larger cities such as NY, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco.

Huh? My apartment is right at 1,000 square feet. Are you telling me that it's nearly three times the size of Manhattan and about the same size as downtown Houston?

Last time I checked none of neither city's skyscrapers would fit in my living room. Try to get your facts straight before posting something ridiculous like that.

My house is well over 1500 sq. ft so I blow them all away :lol:

Austin's a fine little city. I have to grin, though, at how much people seem to give it accolades it doesn't deserve. I've decided that rather than "debate" a perception, I'll just stick to learning about some things that are going on in Austin that might be cool if it were to also happen in Houston (if it wasn't already) rather than to get into a silly discussion about how much "more" of something Austin has than a city nearly five times its size.

Perspective.

Anyway, I like that they are starting to look at western Austin (that is, west of downtown) the same way that developers have been looking at Midtown Houston and Uptown Dallas over the last few years. It looks like Austin will be ahead of its development now that urban areas are being treated with a bit more respect in new growth cities, something that wasn't true in the 70s and 80s.

Yeah, I do not want Houston to necessarily to be a place that everyone wants to come on vacation, but I want Houston to be a place where people want to come to live.  I want people to be envious and want to live here. 

Houston is often quoted as the "Fastest Growing City in America" and "the Most Popular City to Relocate" and has been ranked as the "third most livable city in the country" by Places Rated Almanac.

By the way, I noticed something funny. Yahoo Travel has a list of 16 most popuplar cities in North America. Neither Austin nor Dallas are in the list. Houston is number 16 <_< Only 15 more cities to beat! :unsure:

kzseattle, I noticed the same thing on Yahoo and was presently surprised.

Someone here mentioned the fighting tooth and nail over one foot of rail in Houston, but sings Austin's praises. Well, if I remember correctly, Austin is building one gimmick commuter line from Leander to downtown. But the line will move so slow that it may still end up being faster to get from Leander to downtown on 183 and 35. And I know that some feel like that will be good for TOD development, but the very nature of commuter rail is not the best for TODs.

Austin has voted down rail systems. Houston has voted for rail systems. Twice (2003 and the monorail system). I for one don't mind it if Houston does things a litle bit "behind" other cities. It just allows Houston to learn from and improve upon those places mistakes. That way when Houston finally does do it (whatever "it" is) it will have a lasting effect. One thing I have learned about this place is that when Houston wants something done, Houston will make it happen. Everyone one can't say that about their city.

Dallas? Well last I checked, Dallas has been doing quite a bit of comparing itself to Houston now. And Houston's rise is just in the beginning stages. Then you've got the Morning News up there running all of these apocalyptic stories about Dallas being at the "tipping point". Dallas ranked high in crime last year. Dallas has some serious racial problems. You can go on and on. The point is that Dallas has its own issues. In fact, you'd get argument from people in the Metroplex that Fort Worth is actually the more progressive city of the two.

People talk about Austin's popularity, but the people who have been in Austin for 20 years or so will all tell you that they wish the word never got out about Austin. They feel like all the attention is ruining the place. That reminds me of a remark Terry Bradshaw made about Jacksonville in respnse to the beatdowns its been getting from the media. He said, "this is a cool city. Be glad that no one else knows about you." In other words, don't be so quick to want to be on everybody's radar.

I for one love Houston for Houston. I've been to Chicago, and Chicago is great as Chicago. I grew up next to Atlanta, and Atlanta is an ok place to live--they gained a million people in 1990s and probably will this decade as well. Houston is like a huge city made up of several distinct areas of different sizes. Does Houston have some serious problems? Yes it does. But Houston has a ton of positives as well. You don't have to have everyone in NYC or SF or Chicago go on and on about how impressive Houston is. If we don't think Houston is great first, then it won't matter what others say.

Charlotte has the same issues as Houston. Charlotte spends all its time talking about being the #2 banking center in the US and home to so many F500 companies (same amount as Dallas, btw), etc., etc. But they still feel that something is missing. Nevermind the fact that the area is growing by leaps and bounds--like Houston. Nevermind that they voted for an expansive rail system--like Houston. Nevermind that they seemed to be good enough to attract sports teams to replace those that left--like Houston. They feel overlooked even in their own state--like Houston. They spend their time wanting to be like other cities--like some people here in Houston. The old word is boosterism.

I say let people discover Houston, just as people discover Charlotte. If they're blessed enough for a path in their life to lead them through here for whatever reason, then maybe they'll be smart enough to know how great this place is.

AHH, let's all just jump into the time machine, and see what Houston will be like in 10 years!

I am reaaaaaaaaaaaly on the edge right now...I mean...we have a bunch of proposed projects, and stuff..but..no real progress! An example is the Shamrock! Just build the thing already! AHHHH!

Houston is often quoted as the "Fastest Growing City in America" and "the Most Popular City to Relocate" and has been ranked as the "third most livable city in the country" by Places Rated Almanac.

By the way, I noticed something funny. Yahoo Travel has a list of 16 most popuplar cities in North America. Neither Austin nor Dallas are in the list. Houston is number 16  <_< Only 15 more cities to beat!  :unsure:

That's good. However, I bet that ranking had a lot to do with Superbowl XXVIII and '04 MLB Allstar Game. I would expect for Houston to drop off the list by the next publication this year.

That's good.  However, I bet that ranking had a lot to do with Superbowl XXVIII and '04 MLB Allstar Game.  I would expect for Houston to drop off the list by the next publication this year.

You sound like somebody from Dallas talking! A typical Houston hater

You sound like somebody from Dallas talking! A typical Houston hater

Well, lets wait until the next ranking is published, and see if the writers agree with me. I've never been afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

btw. I'm not a hater. . . I'm Hater Police. So, be careful, because I might write you a ticket. :D

Well, lets wait until the next ranking is published, and see if the writers agree with me.  I've never been afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

btw. I'm not a hater. . . I'm Hater Police.  So, be careful, because I might write you a ticket. :D

:D:lol:

First of all, this goes to the person who started this topic, TIERWESTAH! And i'm assuming you derived your name from the street Tierwester in third ward. I know the area.

Houston is not slow at all, it's very much a fast-paced city. I think you're basing this notion off the fact that the downtown isn't all that dense for a city of its size and it doesn't have many advanced transportation options as many cities but Houston broke that ice with the opening of light rail last year.

I have found Houston to have so much going on during my stay here, it's almost overwhelming. It is definitely the fastest city in Texas. Sure it might not have all the flashy stuff like Dallas is trying to have like the victory times square area that's planned or even a small subway but it's definitely headed in the right direction.

With all the projects that are planned for downtown Houston this year and years to come, i often find myself driving downtown Houston once a week to see what's goin' up downtown and the loads of construction sites that look like they could all be the start of something big! Personally, i find myself getting more and more excited about Houston's future.

The only thing i want Houston to do is start fixing up the roads on the east side of I-45 and do away with all the truck stops off the freeway and start building more "appealing to the eye" shopping centres. Other than that, Houston is coming along if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...
First of all, this goes to the person who started this topic, TIERWESTAH! And i'm assuming you derived your name from the street Tierwester in third ward. I know the area.

Houston is not slow at all, it's very much a fast-paced city. I think you're basing this notion off the fact that the downtown isn't all that dense for a city of its size and it doesn't have many advanced transportation options as many cities but Houston broke that ice with the opening of light rail last year.

I have found Houston to have so much going on during my stay here, it's almost overwhelming. It is definitely the fastest city in Texas. Sure it might not have all the flashy stuff like Dallas is trying to have like the victory times square area that's planned or even a small subway but it's definitely headed in the right direction.

With all the projects that are planned for downtown Houston this year and years to come, i often find myself driving downtown Houston once a week to see what's goin' up downtown and the loads of construction sites that look like they could all be the start of something big! Personally, i find myself getting more and more excited about Houston's future.

The only thing i want Houston to do is start fixing up the roads on the east side of I-45 and do away with all the truck stops off the freeway and start building more "appealing to the eye" shopping centres. Other than that, Houston is coming along if you ask me.

Hey, I like your talking Greystone. Welcome to Houston.

Archived