Ghetto Bird of the 21st Century

Urbannomad

Waste of money or the future of policing? From the sounds of it waste of money, though the city will be buying substantially more expensive ones than those that tried and failed in other cities. From KHOU.com:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...d.d4e89c7a.html

"It is perhaps the future of policing in America and an incredible looking; large wingspan air machine is apparently headed to Houston.

Sources tell 11 News that Mayor Bill White, and Police Chief Harold Hurtt came up with the idea to use drones -- unmanned flying machines -- to help with traffic mobility.

They could also be used for police tactical situations. Like the SWAT incident at NASA in April.

Back in the 1999-2003 time frame, there were always at least two helicopters in the air 24 hours over Houston -- one for the police, and one for the sheriff's department. I think I heard that one got grounded because of budget cuts. Still, it's a lot cheaper and safer to have a UAV in the air instead of a manned helicopter. Nobody seemed spooked by the idea that a police helicopter was on constant patrol, but robots are somehow scary.

It's an idea to get friendly with. I read just today that drones are going to be used to monitor our southern border. We are use to having blackhawks and border choppers in the air around here as we are only 30 miles N. of the border with Mexico. At least drones would be less noisy.

sorry, but i just think that's just plain paranoia. They are more capable of flying through nasty weather and far more safer if a mechanical problem occurred.

Which are safer if a mechanical problem occurred? The drones of the piloted helicopters?

There are already government drones at Ellington. We see them all the time. It scares the hell out of us.

We knew they were coming, it was on the news, in the paper, etc. But no one ever said WHEN they were coming.

They are here, huge, and scary. And they're watching you. "Holy Big Brother, Batman!"

There are already government drones at Ellington. We see them all the time. It scares the hell out of us.

We knew they were coming, it was on the news, in the paper, etc. But no one ever said WHEN they were coming.

They are here, huge, and scary. And they're watching you. "Holy Big Brother, Batman!"

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how this is different than when HPD had people up in helicopters doing the same thing.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how this is different than when HPD had people up in helicopters doing the same thing.

I don't think it's any different. As far as safety goes, it's safer that the drones are up there for the officers as well as civilians below if one goes down due to mechanical failure. There is also the matter of they're being able to stay up in the air longer than a regular Fox Unit. My only concern is their speed. Would they be able to traverse the city quickly enough, or would multiple ones would be in the air covering certain sectors?

Yeah, they are specially designed not to hurt when they fall on you.

more like, "Hurt that much".

While the thing may wind up landing or your house or car, the most you'll need is a new roof (if the fuel tank doesn't rupture) or a new car. If you happen to be inside, odds are you'll be able to get out after you hear your house/car shake.

Archived