Will Houston Get Another 24 Hour News Channel?

citykid09

i enjoyed the 24/hr houston news - it was great to be able to tune in anytime and get caught up. another thing i liked was that the reporters seemed to develop stories and not just run with the scanner. the local news teams tend to chase each other around and you can sometimes flip channels and see the same stories on 2 or 3 channels, sometimes in the same order.

deb martin

I liked the idea of a 24 hour news station and did watch it occassionally when I wanted to catch up with what was going on and it wasn't 6:00 or 10:00. However I always thought that most of their staff seemed to be lacking skill and polish. They reminded me more of the reporters and newscasters you see in a third rate television market (something like Lufkin/Nacogdoches or Sherman/Denison) than what you'd expect to see in Houston. That always bugged me.

I think it's a shame they axed both News 24 Houston and News 9 San Antonio on the same day.

News 8 Austin's been around since '99 or so, and I hear they have a decent viewership for a local cable organization. I don't think a year and a half is long enough to establish a viewer base.

Though the guy that started 24 hasn't ever been successful in Houston. His attempts at both 39 and 51 failed, both seemingly ahead of their time.

• 1 month later...

I worked at news 24 and I have kept up with the happenings with the building and what not. I do not believe the station will come back. The rumor has it that an Asain broadcasting companyhas bought the assets that we're left from News 24 Houston. Also, Time Warner has pretty much released all of their higher ups in the News department.

The concept would work in the long run. However, you need more then the 48% market penetration that News 24 Houston had. You need a company that can go up on a tower, do cable, and possibly satellite for it to be viable in the long run. I think the main problem in the beginning was the management team put in place in Houston.Yes, the guy that ran news 24 Houston ran channel 51 into the ground at the time. However, that station wasn't nearly able to do what we did at News 24.

It is sad because the team of people that worked there were fighters. We did some great work after we got some time behind us. I will always be proud of the work we accomplished there and I, too, hope for a return of an agressive station like News 24 Houston was.

I worked at news 24 and I have kept up with the happenings with the building and what not. I do not believe the station will come back. The rumor has it that an Asain broadcasting companyhas bought the assets that we're left from News 24 Houston. Also, Time Warner has pretty much released all of their higher ups in the News department.

The concept would work in the long run. However, you need more then the 48% market penetration that News 24 Houston had. You need a company that can go up on a tower, do cable, and possibly satellite for it to be viable in the long run. I think the main problem in the beginning was the management team put in place in Houston.Yes, the guy that ran news 24 Houston ran channel 51 into the ground at the time. However, that station wasn't nearly able to do what we did at News 24.

It is sad because the team of people that worked there were fighters. We did some great work after we got some time behind us. I will always be proud of the work we accomplished there and I, too, hope for a return of an agressive station like News 24 Houston was.

Welcome to the forum.

At least there are still 24 hour local weather channels. But you have to have digital cable to get it.

Channel 2 and 11 have there versions. There is another is like 24 was, can't remember the name. It's up around the 300s in the Time Warner digital lineup.

• 1 year later...
24 was great but would have been awesome if the station was live 24/7 but that will eat up your budget pretty quick.

Come to think of it, now that we have HD signals, this could be a possibility.

Even a simple 2 or 3 hour loop feed, like CNN HLN's does over night.

Why not? There are two TXCN and News 8 Austin. Whats going to happen to them?

Good point. I forgot about News 8. I was thinking of TXCN, TXN, and News24Houston.

People I know inside TXCN say things don't look good long-term.

Come to think of it, now that we have HD signals, this could be a possibility.

Even a simple 2 or 3 hour loop feed, like CNN HLN's does over night.

Some of the ABC O&Os do this in the largest markets, so I'd put my money on KTRK being the first to do it in Houston.