Some African-American Groups State That They Will Not Back HISD Bond Vote

VicMan

I agree 150%!

This Euro-Amerindian-Okie-Redneck disagrees 15.28%.

BTW, if you go back far enough we're all from Africa. Does that make us all African-Americans?

skull1.jpg

I would argue that the white guy at work from South Africa who now has US citizenship is more appropriately labeled an African-American than is my wife, who's black, but who hasn't had an ancestor step foot in Africa for at least 5 generations.

I use black/white/Latino, but places like Brazil sure do make that distinction difficult. It's even tough here in the US, where some "blacks" in my neighborhood are as light-skinned as I am (and that's pretty light...nearly translucent).

This Euro-Amerindian-Okie-Redneck disagrees 15.28%.

BTW, if you go back far enough we're all from Africa. Does that make us all African-Americans?

I would argue that the white guy at work from South Africa who now has US citizenship is more appropriately labeled an African-American than is my wife, who's black, but who hasn't had an ancestor step foot in Africa for at least 5 generations.

I use black/white/Latino, but places like Brazil sure do make that distinction difficult. It's even tough here in the US, where some "blacks" in my neighborhood are as light-skinned as I am (and that's pretty light...nearly translucent).

Thank you for helping to illustrate how silly the term is to begin with.

I have a buddy who is a Boer who had been here a whole of three weeks and once used the term African-American to describe himself in mixed company. Let's just say the comment was met with an extremely harsh reception. Someone who truly is, by the definition of the term, African-American cannot use it because he isn't black. So now we are back to skin color.

Black seems to be more appropriate. Perhaps mochachino for light skin and esspresso for dark skin?

You guys just want to argue, and are so caught up in "winning" an argument that you're starting to look silly. Reasonable people can understand what I mean. But hey, if you'd like to continue splitting hairs in an effort to prove your point, let me save you some energy. . .

You guys just want to argue, and are so caught up in "winning" an argument that you're starting to look silly. Reasonable people can understand what I mean. But hey, if you'd like to continue splitting hairs in an effort to prove your point, let me save you some energy. . .

*crickets chirping*

• 1 month later...

Agreed that some people on this forum just to want to argue and prove they are right. Let's face it, it matters not one bit what HAIFERS think about what Black people should call themselves. Black people who want to refer to themselves as African Americans will do so despite what HAIFERS think or what elaborate, logical arguments they construct.

Black people who want to refer to themselves as African Americans will do so despite what HAIFERS think or what elaborate, logical arguments they construct.

When a statement such as this is unquantified, the 'all' is implicit. So what you're saying is that, "Of those black people who want to refer to themselves as African Americans, all of them will continue to do so in spite of logical arguments to the contrary presented by HAIFers."

So what I might interpret that to mean is that of such black people exposed to HAIF, all of them are incapable of comprehending logic, or that some or all such black people aren't exposed to HAIF. Since I am certain that at least some black people wanting to refer to themselves as African Americans frequent HAIF, it would seem to follow by your logic that all of those are incapable of comprehending logic.

??? :huh:

You'll spare me if I cast doubt upon the individual's inability to process input, think rationally, and perhaps even adapt their opinion to be more congruous with logic. Most anyone can change their mind; what we are today is not necessarily what we will be tomorrow.

Edited by TheNiche

When does he appear at telwink?

One of the ideas I have for HISD is that it should film a "safety video" in the same style as airline safety videos. The video would be aired in homerooms once yearly to explain safety procedures that would be used during drills.

Agreed that some people on this forum just to want to argue and prove they are right. Let's face it, it matters not one bit what HAIFERS think about what Black people should call themselves. Black people who want to refer to themselves as African Americans will do so despite what HAIFERS think or what elaborate, logical arguments they construct.

It has nothing to do with what black people want to call themselves. It's what black people say white people need to call them, with the caveat that white people are racist if they don't.

The whole reason the term "African-American" was invented was so black people could accuse white people of being racist if they used the word "black." The idea is to keep upping the standard of what's acceptable, so that you can continue to catch people for being "racist" who do not meet the new standard, and thus continue to maintain that there is a huge problem of racism in America (and thus justify demands for reparations, preferential consideration in college admissions, etc.). If every white person started using the term "African-American," a new term would have to be invented...

When does he appear at telwink?

One of the ideas I have for HISD is that it should film a "safety video" in the same style as airline safety videos. The video would be aired in homerooms once yearly to explain safety procedures that would be used during drills.

almost daily for breakfast.

seems like that would be money wasted. schools have unique design which really couldn't be covered in a generic video. having your own teacher do it would be more effective.

It has nothing to do with what black people want to call themselves. It's what black people say white people need to call them, with the caveat that white people are racist if they don't.

The whole reason the term "African-American" was invented was so black people could accuse white people of being racist if they used the word "black." The idea is to keep upping the standard of what's acceptable, so that you can continue to catch people for being "racist" who do not meet the new standard, and thus continue to maintain that there is a huge problem of racism in America (and thus justify demands for reparations, preferential consideration in college admissions, etc.). If every white person started using the term "African-American," a new term would have to be invented...

Really? Do you have evidence to support this claim? Or is this just your opinion?

The videos do not need to go over school layouts; they need to cover procedures, i.e. what to do if there is a fire and one cannot get through the door, how to secure a room against an attacker, ETC.

HISD can insert a sequence reminding students to look at the maps on the school wall for layouts.

There are airlines that do not make model-specific videos and ask all passengers to look at the specific aircraft maps in the safety cards (Japan Airlines and Virgin Atlantic have one video for all aircraft).

HISD should print "safety cards" to replace older school maps - The cards, posted on walls, contain the maps of the buldings AND picture diagrams of procedures (to cross language barriers).

almost daily for breakfast.

seems like that would be money wasted. schools have unique design which really couldn't be covered in a generic video. having your own teacher do it would be more effective.

using the term african doesn't equate to being black, but the activists say otherwise.

At this point, I have no idea what you're saying. If a person is black, then they are of African descent. But if they are African, then they are not necessarily black. If I am missing something, let me know.

At this point, I have no idea what you're saying. If a person is black, then they are of African descent. But if they are African, then they are not necessarily black. If I am missing something, let me know.

many activists equate being african as being black. i'm just saying that's not true.

• The title was changed to Some African-American Groups State That They Will Not Back HISD Bond Vote