KISD 2007 Property Tax Rate

GrandLakes

I am fairly new to home ownership and I know that Katy ISD is responsible for the majority of the property taxes I will pay for 2007 (or is it 2008...I know I will get a bill in December). When is the rate announced? It was supposed to be $2.00 last year but it was something like $1.85.

Does anyone know?

I am fairly new to home ownership and I know that Katy ISD is responsible for the majority of the property taxes I will pay for 2007 (or is it 2008...I know I will get a bill in December). When is the rate announced? It was supposed to be $2.00 last year but it was something like $1.85.

Does anyone know?

I checked at the Katy ISD website but they did not have the tax rate for the 2007-2008 year listed yet. For general planning purposes, I would use last year's tax rate as an estimate for this year. I can't remember how far in advance we find out the tax rate. Maybe someone else will know.

• 4 weeks later...
Holy Crap...that is "cheap" compared to last year! Awesome!

That is major good news. My oldest son recently bought a home in Katy also. The tax bill you recieve in December will be for 2007. I'm sure he doesn't even know about the meeting Tuesday.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
The bad thing about katy isd besides the higher rate is they only give you a $15,000.00 homestead exemption. The other districts give $15,000 plus 20% of your house value off.

Is it just me or did houses in Katy, or the 77494 area code shoot UP!! Mine went up 25%+ I don't know weather to be happy or worried about the higher taxes that i will be paying, I've been at my house for 3 years now. How did ya's values come in at?

Is it just me or did houses in Katy, or the 77494 area code shoot UP!! Mine went up 25%+ I don't know weather to be happy or worried about the higher taxes that i will be paying, I've been at my house for 3 years now. How did ya's values come in at?

If yours went up that much I would seriously consider talking to a Realtor about getting a CMA done and contest it. Values went up south of 10, but shouldn't have gone up that much. Mine went up $20k, but I'm not contesting it because if they decide to audit my appraisal, they'll discover my new pool and I'll be in real trouble. Get an agent to do a evaluation for you...

If yours went up that much I would seriously consider talking to a Realtor about getting a CMA done and contest it. Values went up south of 10, but shouldn't have gone up that much. Mine went up $20k, but I'm not contesting it because if they decide to audit my appraisal, they'll discover my new pool and I'll be in real trouble. Get an agent to do a evaluation for you...

Mine went up 10%...

Swimming pools are capped at $10K and Hot tubs are capped at $2k in assessed value in Ft. Bend. I live in the Seven Meadows area and values increased a full 10% this year, but interestingly home values fell and land assessments increased dramatically. ???

My home was assessed at $192 last year and went up to $238 this year. Crazy, huh? Now, they are only taxing my on a 10% increase which is $211 but still...the market value of my home went up $45K in one year? They are crazy. There is no way I could sell this house for that amount of money.

I contested it last year and they came down. I am using O'Connor and Associates this year. You have to get it down because next year they will be able to increase 10% on the high amount from this year. This sucks.

In my opinion, this is another reason to buy used houses. You are pretty assured to pay the fair market value. And thus keep your taxes down even when it appreciates.

Good point. Any other reasons you can think of to buy used? We're considering moving and unsure whether to buy used or new. I do like being able to see what the completed neighborhood looks like. But many of the used homes we've looked I've found kind of icky...besides featuring other people's decorating choices, they sometimes have weird smells or pet odors, and usually the floors and walls are anywhere from slightly to very beat up. Any thoughts from others who have deliberated this choice?

Good point. Any other reasons you can think of to buy used? We're considering moving and unsure whether to buy used or new. I do like being able to see what the completed neighborhood looks like. But many of the used homes we've looked I've found kind of icky...besides featuring other people's decorating choices, they sometimes have weird smells or pet odors, and usually the floors and walls are anywhere from slightly to very beat up. Any thoughts from others who have deliberated this choice?

Well you also have the mature landscape look, the security of knowing how your neighbors will keep up there house and yard (this is a big one), any upgrades the previous owners may have done (ie., sprinkler systems, decks, french drains, workbench, etc.), you can also evaluate traffic patterns on an existing neighborhood and see if they are acceptable, I am sure there are more.

We bought a house that was 5 years old rather than new development 7 minutes away in Cinco Ranch. While saving $20,000 off the selling price, we also got extras and location we like better. Of course you may have to put in more leg work (or internet searching) to find one that meets your requirements. I like the idea, personally of buying a house that is no older than 5-7 yrs old (if you are considering this versus a new home) so that the house you are buying is resonabily up to code and has the current technolgy you want for your house to be efficient energy wise (radiant barriers, double pane windows, etc.) and safe (double fault breakers, alarm system, double fault breakers, gfi outlets, etc.)

Other reasons to buy a "used" as opposed to new house:

• Irrigation systems have probably already been installed by the homeowner
  • Ditto for gutters and drainage
  • Window treatments are in including solar screens, plantation blinds etc.
  • At five to seven years, some major appliances may have been replaced getting rid of the contractor junk
  • House may have had its first paint job
  • Garage cabinets and shelves

I've lost count of the number of houses I've bought, fixed up and then when I had everything just right, decided to move. :rolleyes: