HPD Cop Drives Wrong Way On Highway 59 Feeder, Causes 3-Car Accident

jfre81

Now before we jump to conclusions, I think waiting for the full story on this would be proper. There could be an actual reason as to why he did what he did, but I've seen cops do weird stuff before as well. Wouldn't doubt if he didn't want to take the entire U-Turn and go to the direct route.

Now before we jump to conclusions, I think waiting for the full story on this would be proper. There could be an actual reason as to why he did what he did, but I've seen cops do weird stuff before as well. Wouldn't doubt if he didn't want to take the entire U-Turn and go to the direct route.

I really cannot see a scenario in which it would be good for anyone to willingly travel the wrong way like that, not even a police officer.

Even in a chase situation...you just don't do something stupid. And this was stupid. Good thing that apparently nobody got seriously hurt or killed.

It could be that one block away was the street he needed to get to, and as Ricco said, he felt the nature of the emergency warranted a quick enough response for him to break the law.

And, given the result, you still agree with that?

Never mind that we never heard of any emergency. You do realize that we will never know what really happened.

In other HPD news....

HPD officer busted doing 100 mph while drunk in Louisiana

Is this excusable too?

I see Precinct 4 and Harris County Sheriff's do this all the time in Northern Harris County most of the time it's because there's a major fight or a shootout in the area.

And, given the result, you still agree with that?

Never mind that we never heard of any emergency. You do realize that we will never know what really happened.

In other HPD news....

HPD officer busted doing 100 mph while drunk in Louisiana

Is this excusable too?

Please don't tell me you believe your own rhetoric. Do you post on the Chron.com website? I heard someone mention the exact same thing.

As far as the officer in LA drunk driving, it doesn't mention he was in uniform, does it? It's a totally different set of circumstances. So are you saying ALL cops should be careful drivers? You're living in fantasy land.

I don't know wiseguy, was he in pursuit of someone or enroute to a call?

Seriously, I have no idea why the guy was going the wrong way down a feeder. I just know that no one in their right mind would do that unless they had a reason. If you REALLY feel like this is a massive HPD conspiracy, stop wasting time posting on this forum and go investigate. In the meantime, I'll continue to support the boys in blue because the ones on the street are the ones getting it done.

the khou story says the officer was northbound on (normally south-only) greenbriar, which would be near Stahlman lumber. if this was the case, the main issue here would be the fact that the officer ran the red light, not the direction, since the suburban was on the feeder and had the right of way.

fwiw, the maybe two times i have seen vehicles driving the wrong way at that intersection seemed to be because they were disoriented (then really surprised to see cars facing them).

The officer was headed northbound on the one way Greenbriar when he entered the intersection of the State Highway 59 feeder road. A Suburban driving on the feeder and with the green light slammed into the patrol car in the intersection.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...r.95723fc3.html

I do post occasionally on chron.com but I did not post the remark you are referring to. It is, however, true.

It's not about conspiracy and rhetoric. It's basic accountability. We as a people demand too little of it from public servants, politicians and the like. Let's not forget the whole crime lab clusterf...er, you know what I mean. Let's not forget how that made Houston a national laughingstock.

As for the one in Louisiana, if he was on a call out of uniform and intoxicated, he ought to be handed his walking papers. It's a good thing he didn't kill anyone.

Don't get me wrong. I am anything but anti-police. HPD needs more than more cops. HPD needs more good cops.

Good cops include those who do not do foolish things behind the wheel. I have never, ever gone the wrong way on a feeder road and I do not understand how anyone does that, much less a police officer who should know what he's doing.

the khou story says the officer was northbound on (normally south-only) greenbriar, which would be near Stahlman lumber. if this was the case, the main issue here would be the fact that the officer ran the red light, not the direction, since the suburban was on the feeder and had the right of way.

fwiw, the maybe two times i have seen vehicles driving the wrong way at that intersection seemed to be because they were disoriented (then really surprised to see cars facing them).

The officer was headed northbound on the one way Greenbriar when he entered the intersection of the State Highway 59 feeder road. A Suburban driving on the feeder and with the green light slammed into the patrol car in the intersection.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...r.95723fc3.html

Oh Hell! I've done that on that area. I've even done that in downtown! Fastest U-Turn EVER was heading East on Walker (which is SUPPOSED to be Westbound) and doing one sweet swing around going the other way. it is rather disconcerting watching headlights peeping in your direction. almost like that Toilet thing in my sig.

The only time I ever recall going the wrong way on a one-way road was in Stafford, coming off Staffordshire at night going onto 90/South Main a long time ago when I was first learning to drive. The one-way sign on the left turn light was in the shadows and hard to see, and I was in no way familiar with Stafford at the time. I saw those lights. Thankfully there was a parking lot right there to bail off onto and get turned around the right way.

almost like that Toilet thing in my sig.

Your sigs reminds me of my youth except for the walmart thing, everything was made in USA then. :P

BTW, I will always give the benefit of the dought to law enforcement.

BTW, I will always give the benefit of the dought to law enforcement.

I usually will....but in no way, shape or form will I accept the DWI by cops, or by anyone. Have a couple of your friends killed by drunk drivers and you will feel the same way. A police officer doing it is just doubly egregious.

As for the one going the wrong way....maybe an honest mistake? At least it looks like everyone's gonna be all right. But that's nothing short of dangerous.

I usually will....but in no way, shape or form will I accept the DWI by cops, or by anyone. Have a couple of your friends killed by drunk drivers and you will feel the same way. A police officer doing it is just doubly egregious.

As for the one going the wrong way....maybe an honest mistake? At least it looks like everyone's gonna be all right. But that's nothing short of dangerous.

4 of of my friends where killed in a DWI they were sober and 2 killed in a home invasion, but remember cops are human's too just like us, but they have to answer to a higher authority the public.

So, how many people DID you lose to a guy doing DWI? Not that we're totally on topic anymore.

I give cops a benifit of the doubt, along with all first responders. They (and firefighters) have some of the most stressfull and underappreciated jobs in the planet. As much as you may delicate flower about "crooked cops" I'm sure you won't hesitate to pick up the phone and call one if you THINK you hear someone creeping around the bushes nearby.

People who generally have high stress jobs (Firefighters, Police, Astronaughts, Flight Controllers, etc) have a tendency to go out of their way to relax and play hard because they need an outlet.

I'm not going to excuse the officer for DUI, that's up for the courts to decide. The same has to be done with this wrong way accident. Believe me, if it was a legit accident, he may not get fired, but they're going to give him a bunch of crap about it. If it was because it was an intential (without a valid reason) then you'll have your pound of flesh.

As far as the officer in LA drunk driving, it doesn't mention he was in uniform, does it? It's a totally different set of circumstances. So are you saying ALL cops should be careful drivers? You're living in fantasy land.

Tell that to the Mayor and police chief....see what their response would be. it sure wouldn't be "it's ok, he wasn't in uniform"

Tell that to the Mayor and police chief....see what their response would be. it sure wouldn't be "it's ok, he wasn't in uniform"

Well that's an obvious statement. They'll draw the typical "They're always expected to be on duty and hold the highest standards.." blah blah.

Still doesn't mean the people shouldn't have fun or be human, they just have to be more responsible about how they party.

• The title was changed to HPD Cop Drives Wrong Way On Highway 59 Feeder, Causes 3-Car Accident

Archived