Saturno Ballroom At 7501 Brownwood St.

editor

Press release:

----------

HARRIS COUNTY JUDGE ED EMMETT DENIES PERMIT

TO NUISANCE BAR IN EAST HOUSTON

Emmett's action shuts down bar known for drugs, prostitution

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett signed an order Tuesday denying a wine and beer license to the owner of the Saturno Ballroom, an East Houston nightclub that police and state investigators say has been the site of numerous drug, firearms and prostitution complaints in recent years.

Emmett denied a request by Jose Martir Herrera for a wine and beer permit and on-premise late hours license for Herrera's club at 7501 Brownwood Street, near Interstate 10 and the East Loop. Emmett's order came after a hearing last week at which Emmett was to hear Herrera's appeal of an earlier order denying his request. Herrera did not appear at the hearing.

"Given the Saturno Ballroom's long history of legal problems involving firearms, prostitution and sales to minors, I have no intention of allowing this club to continue operating as a nuisance and a danger to the families living in the Houston Harbor neighborhood," Emmett said after signing his order. "Harris County has no tolerance for businesses that jeopardize neighborhood safety."

Officials with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and the Houston Police Department were among those protesting Herrera's request. They presented Emmett with evidence of numerous problems at the club, including the discharge of firearms, sales to minors, after-hours sales, fighting and narcotics sales. That evidence, combined with Herrera's failure to appear before the judge in support of his request, led to Emmett's decision to deny the permits.

I've never even heard of this dump, but am glad someone is putting thier footsies down. Dive's like this are what have plagued all areas of Houston for decades with no end in site. Most politicians promise to rid the area, they get elected, go to a higher office, and see ya! Again, this hell hole must be in far East Houston. Article is too vague.

I've never even heard of this dump, but am glad someone is putting thier footsies down. Dive's like this are what have plagued all areas of Houston for decades with no end in site. Most politicians promise to rid the area, they get elected, go to a higher office, and see ya! Again, this hell hole must be in far East Houston. Article is too vague.

I think its north of Buffalo Bayou.

Local tells all. Denver Harbor

Denver harbor has always been totally gross.My mom is 74 years old and she says is was sleazy even when she was a kid.Also,sorry if we posted something where we should not have.I would move the topic but I don't know how to do it

Denver harbor has always been totally gross.My mom is 74 years old and she says is was sleazy even when she was a kid.Also,sorry if we posted something where we should not have.I would move the topic but I don't know how to do it

Appreciate your perfectly honest response. DH as it's known has always been shunned from city leaders. It is only of recent that they have started fixing up Lyon's Avenue and that took decades of cummunity strife and angst to do. I could write a book on the subject. The drinking establishments that are on nearly every street corner are a sure sign of neglect by adults living within. The schools are as obscure as they get, seldom do you hear of any achievements, drop out rate another story too. DH has always been plagued by gangs as far back as the 1940's. I attended Elliot Elementary briefly in 68 and we fled shortly after. One positive that does come to mind are the few real original Mexican restuarants other than that, we still refer to it as "The Land That Time Forgot". If I do pass through the area its 1966 still. Hardly any improvments. Most newcomers to Houston don't even know this area exists and prefer it that way. Truth.

PS, Its still sort of East End but more or less North East End so your ok posting here.

• The title was changed to Saturno Ballroom At 7501 Brownwood St.