Will The Tin Cans Limit Property Values

HtownTX

Someone asked in another thread what's up with the metal townhomes. I've been wondering that myself lately. I find them very unnattractive (no offense to those who live in them).

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...findpost&p=5699

Does Urban Lofts plan to build any more in Midtown? I just don't see how they could do anything but limit future property values. Am I totally wrong? Are they as acceptable as stucco or brick?

The Galvanized Aluminum you are seeing is just someones view of art. They claim to be more fire retardant and have slighlty better energy efficiency than your average home. No more are currently slated for midtown but there are other projects around the city.

What makes y'all think a metal building will deteriorate enough in 20 years to become a tear-down? I'll agree that the metal townhomes could be done better, but any townhome in Houston inner-city could be architected better. I think you'll find that metal holds up remarkably well as a siding when compared to stucco (full sarcastic voice being used here:).

I am a big fan of metal homes, here is one that I pass on my way home from time-to-time:

Beautiful Metal Home

I kind of like them. Anything is a nice break from fake stucco! :) Did they originate in Houston? A few years ago the Wall St Journal ran a large article about all the metal houses around the West End/Rice Military, and they really made it sound like a Houston speciality, which was kind of nice and unique. I know this sounds weird, but I always think that metal look goes well with the color and atmosphere of Houston, just like those bright tropical colors seem to work well in a climate like Miami. Especially in the summer, colors outside here tend to seem subdued (as opposed to subdude) because of the haze, humidity, and sun. The muted gray of the metal buildings kind of complements the look imo.

They were different when there were few.

But now there are many, and they are starting to look a little odd.

And for the most part, the metal homes have a very weak homeowner association. And the metal home residents I have met in Midtown don't really care to keep their places up.

There are two blue towers on Jackson that look like something out of Mad Max.

They'll never supplant the "traditional" brick/stucco Perry Homes look for townhouses, but even so I think it's a good thing that townhouse architecture is starting to grow in new directions and explore different ideas. Apart from issues of aesthetics, it's good also that some of these are designed with a view toward energy efficiency. That really important in a climate like ours.

I don't mind the metal homes. They're nice for a change. But I would like them better if they didn't look like corrugated metal. Maybe if they had a nice smooth shiny surface all the way around. I imagine that would be great for reflecting the summer heat away.

I'm actually in the process of purchasing one of these in the 4th Ward. They are very energy efficient due to increased insulation, double-paned glass, roof pitch, etc. Moreover, the metal does not absorb heat, it actually reflects it away. I've spoken with homeowners whose summer electric bills for a 2000 square foot home are $100 (and these people use the a/c).

Personally, I like a more modern aesthetic; and the interiors in particular reflect this. The bottom floor material is stained concrete, while the second and third levels are pine and/ or carpet (if that's your thing). Very open/ loft like second level with a huge kitchen. A lot of space for hanging/ creating art. The upgrades are really nice too (maple cabinets througout, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, tiling, lighting). Plus, I'm going to have great access (not to mention a killer view) to downtown, Sam Houston Park, and Midtown at or around a $215k price point, including upgrades!

I've spoken with a couple of people who purchased about 5 years ago at the location off of Gray. They're going to make out like a bandit next year when they sell and upgrade to a highrise.

I wouldnt mind seeing the inside of one of these. I've been interested in metal construction for some time. (As in metal frame.. never gave much thought to metal exterior) I'm all for the energy efficiency. I'd definately like to learn more on this if anyone has resources.

I appreciate these for their uniqueness and because they will be such an indicator of this particular era. If they hold up for 50 years, they will be quite the collector's item.

• 6 months later...
Hmmm..  A museum vs. a metal townhome.

No brainer which gets more care from the owner.

Just wait until the screws start rusting on the tin cans.

I own one of these tin cans in 4th Ward. My wife preferred the more traditional brick but they didn't have any in 4th Ward which I preferred much more than the 3rd Ward/Midtown area. The interior is very nice. I love it and the wife has come around. I am concerned however with how they will look in 10 years. I've seen some off of Memorial and other areas and it does seem that years do not help the appearance. They start to look pretty bad in fact. We'll probably sell before that happens.

• 3 months later...

Personally I don't have a problem with the looks of these, not my cup o tea but to each his own. I do think that even if they wear good that having so many of the same looking townhomes together will make appreciation a little tougher. My guess is in a couple years when a a bunch of the people that have bought in the last couple years decide they want to sell they will be competing with the same floorplan to units over or be competing against the builder as well.

As a side note I called this company one time inquiring with them about possibly selling/JV'ing on a piece of property I was part owner in the responce I got was "we'll sue you if you build are stuf"! I was like, WTF, I didn't even mention wanting to copy your sorry a%%. To me it said a lot about the company.

I've never been inside one, but from the outside (minus the multi colored ones) I get the feeling that they're supposed to feel or look industrious, & tough like what an inner-city might be. I guess that's just my impression though.

Are they more secure than any other metal building? I know we had some older fire stations in Lake Charles, LA that were the same (or at least looked the same) construction that weren't rated for winds over 70mph - aka: a hurricane...

I've been inside a couple of those lofts over off of Dallas and 45. Yes, some of us subrbanites actually mingle with the Posh folks of Midtown. They are very modern inside. Not as industrial as you would think, beautiful wood "built-ins" 15 foot ceilings, dramatic lighting, wood floors, very open feeling. Total 180 on the inside from what you are looking at outside. They are still a bit too IKEAish for me. ;)

Edited by TJones

• The title was changed to Will The Tin Cans Limit Property Values