Pearland Crime

12thManFan

Here's the Chronicle's story on the meeting last night between the police and community members at the Westside Event Center:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6277630.html

It's good to know that crime in the neighborhood is actually down; I wonder to what degree the increase for Pearland as a whole is due to population growth:

According to statistics released at that meeting, calls for service in Pearland increased by about 2 percent last year. At the same time, in the newly developed area of town near FM 518 and TX 288, calls for service have decreased by 10 percent since last year. Home burglaries in the area have also dropped by almost two-thirds from 74 in 2007 to 24 in 2008.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the Chronicle's story on the meeting last night between the police and community members at the Westside Event Center:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6277630.html

It's good to know that crime in the neighborhood is actually down; I wonder to what degree the increase for Pearland as a whole is due to population growth:

I was at the meeting last night (yeah I know I'm not a SCR resident, but what the heck). The statistic they announced was that in 2007 the Pearland PD responded to 2,500 calls from SCR. In 2008, they only responded to 2,250 calls from SCR. So from that decrease it's logical to state crime dropped (or is it?).

As for the overall increase in crime in Pearland as a whole, I think it's exactly what you said - increased population. At the meeting, the police did not speculate on why the overall increase is occurring.

I was at the meeting last night (yeah I know I'm not a SCR resident, but what the heck). The statistic they announced was that in 2007 the Pearland PD responded to 2,500 calls from SCR. In 2008, they only responded to 2,250 calls from SCR. So from that decrease it's logical to state crime dropped (or is it?).

As for the overall increase in crime in Pearland as a whole, I think it's exactly what you said - increased population. At the meeting, the police did not speculate on why the overall increase is occurring.

It is more complicated than increased population.

• 4 months later...

This week the Brazoria Co. Sheriff's Dept. has opened up a new substation in the Silverlake subdivision's clubhouse. This should help security in Silverlake, Southwych, and Silver Creek. Read the full story here:

http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=af48e1f965b31fa6

The Silverlake HOA took action to initiate this after the home invasions they suffered back in January. I applaude them for their effort.

Regards, Tim

Shadow Creek Ranch

July 4th, ~12:30 pm

Neighbor's house was broken into. Walked right into their back yard, busted out a back master window, stole jewelery, set off motion detector alarm, then exited through the garage. Apparently the idiots left blood and fingerprints on the window and may have already been caught.

Can't believe this would happen on a Saturday afternoon in broad daylight right next door...

Crazy they'd do that on a Saturday afternoon. What's your subdivision Clearman?

I think some thugs decided to use the distraction of the holiday to target some of our west side neighborhoods. Late Saturday night a couple of cars parked on a street in Southern Trails were burglarized. My theory is that the thugs used the sound of sporadic fireworks in the vicinity as a cover.

I'll remember this next year!

ph34r.gif

• 3 months later...

This isn't in Pearland, per se, but it happened just on the city's west edge on County Rd. 48 (Kingsley Drive). The site of the raid was the land just south of the Enclave at Southern Trails, which is where the Pearland city limit ends. Last Wednesday evenign when the police helicopter and all the cop cars showed up, the neighborhood watch communications we have set up in Southern Trails went into high gear. We eventually found out the following story, which was released Thursday afternoon:

Officers find 1,200 Marijuana Plants in Raid Published October 9, 2009, in the Brazoria Co. FACTS, by John Lowman.

ANGLETON — The pungent aroma of newly cut marijuana plants filled the dank air inside a Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office evidence garage as mosquitos buzzed around two officers.

“It’s not as impressive here as it was growing,” said Sgt. J. Brawner with the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Unit. “That’s a lot of marijuana.”

About 7 p.m. Wednesday, authorities raided a 40- by 80-foot Quonset hut, a home and store in the 2300 block of CR 48 North in Rosharon, just south of FM 518 in Pearland, Brawner said. Responding to a telephone tip, officers found about 1,200 growing marijuana plants, drying buds and leaves, and plastic and glass containers in which pot was placed.

There also were glass containers of hashish oil, which comes from marijuana plants and is compressed into a variety of forms, including balls, cakes or cookies.

Inside the cavernous evidence bay, the jars of liquid and piles of plants didn’t seem like much, spread over a 40- by 30-foot area. But the drugs have a street value of $1.94 million, according to a sheriff’s office news release.

Police suspect two men, ages 23 and 53, who own or live on the property, were growing the crop, but no arrests have been made or charges filed.

“We’re still investigating,” Brawner said.

The frame home, Quonset hut and retail shop are on two adjacent lots set back from FM 518, which is Broadway Avenue in Pearland. Items sold from the business included what police called “paraphernalia.” Authorities found about a half pound of pot inside the home but none in the business.

Plants were growing in the Quonset hut, which had been converted into what Brawner called “an operation” to process the pot.

The building was divided into smaller rooms in which plants in various stages of growth were kept, Brawner said.

Most plants were grown in pots but some were brought up by hydroponics, or the use of mineral nutrient solutions in water without soil.

“It was a very elaborate setup,” Brawner said. “Someone had invested quite a bit of money into it.”

Police seized “several” shotguns and rifles, a refrigerator used to store contraband and $10,000 cash, according to the release. They also found about 35 cultivation lamps and a large evaporator, according to the release.

Had all the plants reached maturity, they could have produced up to 2,500 pounds of marijuana. It appeared marijuana from the buildings already was being sold, Brawner said. Police were on the scene until about 2 a.m. Thursday.

By 5 p.m. Thursday, the pot plants were spread across the concrete floor at the Sheriff’s Office to dry. From there, the drugs will be bagged as evidence and locked up until use at a trial. Afterward, they will be destroyed, police said.

Felony charges of possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance are pending, Brawner said.

Brazoria County Sheriff's Dept is UNAMERICAN!!!

Here we have a couple of hard-working Americans, filled with the can-do entrepreneurial spirit that made America great...and the sheriff wants to shut down their business and ship their jobs across the border to Mexico (or Vancouver, BC...depending on the quality of the merchandise.)

Joseph Kennedy must be spinning in his grave!

Had all the plants reached maturity, they could have produced up to 2,500 pounds of marijuana. It appeared marijuana from the buildings already was being sold, Brawner said. Police were on the scene until about 2 a.m. Thursday.

By 5 p.m. Thursday, the pot plants were spread across the concrete floor at the Sheriff’s Office to dry. From there, the drugs will be bagged as evidence and locked up until use at a trial. Afterward, they will be destroyed, police said.

Felony charges of possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance are pending, Brawner said.

Soo....you're trying to find out where it's going to get destroyed so you can find a place that is downwind of it?

Archived