Identity Issue In New Housing Subdivisions

But come on... you do have choices of like 24 different bricks... hehe (jk)

Theres always that one house that decided on white or tan brick for variety!

I thought I could handle it. I did the cookie-cutter thing out in pearland and I hated every minute of it. I mean yes, I did get into the landscaping and built a flag stone patio and 500 gallon brick planter... but I wouldnt do it again.

But I am not everyone and some people do like this stuff. Cookie-cutter suburbs have been around long enough that some of the people buying these things grew up in them too. They are pre-programmed.

(sorry if this is off -- I am quite sick at the moment)

remember the 70s? new neighborhoods, on the north side anyway, had a "tudor" selection, a contemporary model, a plantation home, the traditional. yeah, there would be one contemporary to 100 of everything else, but at least it looks more interesting (IMHO) than these red brick, two tree neighborhoods.

i place the blame on the people buying these things.

i place the blame on the people buying these things.

I respectfully disagree with the gentleman from the Woodlands on this. I would have to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Developer. Here's an example why: Mr. Developer clear-cuts 200 acres out here in Spring because it's "cheaper and easier". He determines which builders to let in, and what price-points they will be at. He determines the amenities for the subdivision as well as the size of the lots. Already a lot here has been pre-determined for Johnny-First-Time-Homebuyer! Mr. Developer has been in talking with the county and the city and knows perfectly well that a major road is slated to go right through the middle of his platted subdivision. He tells these things to Mr. Builder and promptly has a new color-coded map of the neighborhood made up and placed out front for all prospective homebuyers to marvel at. Mr. Developer gets his money and gets the hell out quick. Mr. Builder starts "close-out" sales on the remaining lots, and gets the hell out of there too. Two years down the road, Johnny-First-Time-Homebuyer gets an official looking letter from the Harris County Toll Road Authority or TxDOT that their nice little starter home is now being taken by "eminent domain", that an arbitration panel of three strangers will decide the worth of that home. Why aren't Mr. Developer and Mr. Builder held at least to the same standards as Miss Realtor in a little thing we like to call "full disclosure"? Why does Johnny have no recourse against Mr. Builder or Mr. Developer, who knew all about it? Why do we like to blame the homebuyers, who are typically so overwhelmed just trying to make the right decisions in respect to the right schools, the right neighborhood? Why are we not making Mr. Developer and Mr. Builder culpable in all this? Why?

ouch! i think our issues are a little different. the original statement was concerning home styles. builders build what people will buy.

i have to agree with your statements, pineda. builders should be held to the same standard as realtors. however, even with the laws in place for realtors, non-disclosure is commonplace.

The main problem is with the lower priced developers, like, stuff under 200,000. Some of the newer builders offer more diverse styles (ex: Newmark, David powers, etc) that can add a bit of interest to a neighborhood. As for the nasty KB, Centex, etc, there is nothing that can really be done about those.

The main problem is with the lower priced developers, like, stuff under 200,000.

Which is, for better or worse, the majority of homes being built. Actually, more like $100-150K. Whatcha gonna do? What's your advice? Where does Johnny-

First-Time-Homebuyer turn to get a "decent", well-built home in that price range? Or maybe he should just stay in an apartment?

Those lower priced home builders could at least diversify the types of materials used, and architectural styles, with not too much of an impact on cost. BUT, their main concern is making a quick buck, with the least cost, and planning so I dont think this is very likely.

I have no pity for those who can't wait.
Some don't have the luxury of time that you do, some don't want to raise their children in apartments, or in school districts with low-performing schools.
that it's the evil developers making people move out to these crap-cutters

I don't believe I ever said that the developers are "making" people move out there. That's just what developers and builders are offering the public. I understand your "capitalism" speech and "supply and demand" and all that, but where are ethics? Is it really fair to take advantage of Johnny-First-Time-Homebuyer just because he doesn't know any better? Is it fair to trick people with "smoke and mirrors" of that "new paint smell" then run for the hills with their money and deny all responsibility for what the developers/builders have done?

Hate to put you on the spot here, 27. You seem like a nice young man. What will YOU be looking for in your first "low-200's" home? Will you buy existing property and renovate it, or will you be drawn by the siren song of "Everything's Included with Lennar, E-I-E-I-O"? What in the low-200's would you consider 'non-crap'?

Sometimes I wonder if prolific use of bricks is to be blamed. I have often noticed that two homes with fairly different elevations look similar simply because they use the same bricks all around. In Seattle, brick is uncommon since most houses are made of wood. The wood allows builders to use different combination of colors on houses next to each other to create visual variety. .

Tree Killers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the name of this topic.

It's so silly to rag on people for buying a home they can afford.

I just don't get it.

Not sure where this thread is going!

Back to my original question: if so many people think that the new subdivisions look too much alike, what can the developers and builders do to create variety and diversity? What suggestions would you make?

As I mentioned earlier, most homes are brick homes which, unlike wood frame homes, cannot be colored differently. You cannot say that my house is that little gray house around the corner or that big white house on the street; they are all red or beige! Of course, given the climate and tradition in the area, brick is the prevalent building material of choice. Thus, most new homes would continue to be brick homes.

I am therefore leaning towards the conclusion that the goal of creating a distinct neighborhood in which every home is unique cannot really be attained. In that case, it wouldnt even be valid to complain. Besides, if there are two communities that look similar but are otherwise nice, is that really wrong?

Tree Killers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that the reason wood is so common in Seattle and other such expensive places to live is because it is the cheapest material available! People in Seattle are often puzzled when told that most houses in Houston are brick homes and STILL cheaper! Brick is kind of a luxury there.

By the way, in case someone gets the wrong idea, I am not in favor of one particular building material over another. I am only commenting on the current state of affairs in the world of housing styles.

You say its not far to take advantage of first time home buyers with smoke & mirror tricks like the smell of new paint? This is what I say:

Whiners, Excuse Makers, & Finger Pointers - Shut up.

So, bid-ness as usual in Houston? No accountability for developers or builders, if you have your way about it. "Buyer beware, and let's hope they're all as smart as me!"

BTW, good luck in homesearch and I sincerely hope you never run into any unscrupulous home remodeling firms. There's just a few out there, not many, just a few...but then, you'll probably be doing all the work yourself, right? :D