Atchafalaya Crawfish & Cajun Specialties

moni

Does anyone remember this restaurant? Seafood & Fish mostly.

I recall it had a real tropical feel to it, decor wise that is. The frog legs were real good and the seafood platters out of this world. The seemed to vanish over night. Guess there were too many simlar ones out there at the time? Used to get real packed. Maybe this should go under restuarants of Houstons past?

It was part of the Ninfa's chain. After the Ninfa's chain was sold the current owner's turned a few of these into Ninfa's restuarants and closed the rest.

The one on Westhiemer and Fondren turned into a Landry's

They had a lobster or crawfish for the mascot.

It was the best cajun place in town until Ninfas took over. The one on Westheimer was better than the one on the North Freeway. It was decorated like a cajun backwater shack and they played mardi gras music and gave you beads as you walked in(no skin necessary). They had the best Crawfish Bisque and red beans and rice. I loved ther Pirogues, they were a hollowed out french loaf with different fillings like crawfish etouffee or shrimp and crabmeat dressing.

I gotta go all of a sudden I'm hungry.

joe

I loved going there and all my family made a big deal out gathering there on Friday nights. We really enjoyed the place. There was another place we use to go to, but I have forgotten the name, it had fantastic cheeseburgers and long neck buds. I think it was kind of toward the East side and they featured "chicken-fried steaks". ?

They were owned by Landry's I thought. For a few years, Landry's Seafood and Atchafalaya restraurants even swapped names. Eventually they just consolidated the names. There is/was one on 59 at SugarCreek/90.

It might be a Landry's now.

The one near 610N and TC. Jester was owned by ex-gf's uncle. Never ate there though.

I am pretty sure that was the original Houston location. I can still recall the Yellow and Red sign witht he little crawfish and his claw pinching away. LOL!

I am pretty sure that was the original Houston location. I can still recall the Yellow and Red sign witht he little crawfish and his claw pinching away. LOL!

There was one on Bay Area Blvd. in Clear Lake. It was freakin' awesome.

It closed & is now called BJ's (used to be Bradley's). They brew their own beer.

Not too shabby- burgers & stuff like that- Cajun is considerably tastier though.

I think we are getting several restaurants mixed up. Bradleys on Bay Area was never an Atchafalaya. Landrys on Westheimer and Atchafalayas were two different places. I remember going to both, Landrys had a great Sunday Brunch. Floyd Landry sold out to Tillman Fertitta and opened Floyds' on Washington and I10 then moved to the Baybrook parking lot facing I45. When Atchafalaya closed it became something like Mr. Ds uptown. I think I have it right at least as I remember it. It may be a Landrys now I have not been back in a long time. I don't care much for their food anymore.

joe

I think we are getting several restaurants mixed up. Bradleys on Bay Area was never an Atchafalaya. Landrys on Westheimer and Atchafalayas were two different places. I remember going to both, Landrys had a great Sunday Brunch. Floyd Landry sold out to Tillman Fertitta and opened Floyds' on Washington and I10 then moved to the Baybrook parking lot facing I45. When Atchafalaya closed it became something like Mr. Ds uptown. I think I have it right at least as I remember it. It may be a Landrys now I have not been back in a long time. I don't care much for their food anymore.

joe

The Bradleys on Bay Area was an Atchfalaya was for about a year back in the mid-1990's.

I remember going a few time w/ my folks. I guess it never really took off.

The Bradleys on Bay Area was an Atchfalaya was for about a year back in the mid-1990's.

I remember going a few time w/ my folks. I guess it never really took off.

I worked at Bay Area and Buckaneer in the mid 80s and early 90s and almost directly across the street in the mid 90s and I never noticed that. Just goes to show you how observant I am.

joe

I never knew there was an Atchafalaya River Cafe up there. Was it where The Anchorage used to be?

joe

Not sure about Anchorage as i don't venture out there much. My ex just mentioned it back when we were dating in 2003 and passed by it.

Edited by sifuwong

My 2 cents on Atchafalaya's history...

The orginal was on Westheimer, close to SF Steakhouse, and opened in the 80's. I went to a company Christmas lunch there in about '86 marked by the consumption of too many Bayou Blasters (2!). (that was a great drink - went down smooth and you didn't know what you had done until you tried to stand up) It was a really fun, good restaurant and profitable - so the Ninfa's company bought it and tried to expand the concept. I'm not sure whether the ones on 45N@Airtex and 610/Ella opened before or after the sale, but there were additional ones opened on 45S and Monroe, and maybe one in the Clear Lake area. The company (it might have been after the Laurenzos sold out) apparently didn't know how to handle the concept, the food went downhill, and the place disappeared off the map...

A sad ending, and I still miss the original.

• The title was changed to Atchafalaya Crawfish & Cajun Specialties