New Condos

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm new and still learning the ropes here. I've also done some searching of past postings, but I still can't find a direct or concise answer to my question.

I'm wanting to buy a condo (preferably a flat, and preferably in a high or mid-rise), either inside the Loop or near the Galleria--ideally something in the Midtown, Memorial or Allen Parkway corridor, or around the Galleria area. I'm in no immediate rush to buy anything, but if I could get something by the end of 2005, that would be great. However, it seems (to me) that almost all the development of mid and high-rise buildings are for apartments.

Does anyone know of any new condos that are being built or any apartments that are being converted to condos?

Also...and please don't laugh...but does anyone think that it is realistic to find a 2 bed/2 bath place in these areas for around $250K? With a view of something other than a trash heap?

And...are there any other up-and-coming areas I should consider? I work in downtown and I do not handle traffic well. I consider anything longer than a 15 minute commute to be a deal-killer.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm new and still learning the ropes here. I've also done some searching of past postings, but I still can't find a direct or concise answer to my question.

I'm wanting to buy a condo (preferably a flat, and preferably in a high or mid-rise), either inside the Loop or near the Galleria--ideally something in the Midtown, Memorial or Allen Parkway corridor, or around the Galleria area. I'm in no immediate rush to buy anything, but if I could get something by the end of 2005, that would be great.

Also...and please don't laugh...but does anyone think that it is realistic to find a 2 bed/2 bath place in these areas for around $250K? With a view of something other than a trash heap?

And...are there any other up-and-coming areas I should consider? I work in downtown and I do not handle traffic well. I consider anything longer than a 15 minute commute to be a deal-killer.

Thanks.

1) Last I heard, San Jacinto Lofts at 915 N. San Jacinto had one left at 199K.

2) As for up-and-coming areas, you might check out the East End east of Downtown. There are a lot of townhouses for under 250K, not sure about flats. Clinton Dr. or any of the Downtown streets going east up until about Scott St. It's an area in the beginning stages of a positive transition.

As for mid/high rise, I don't know.