Increase in Houston Land Values

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5026453.html

Looking for cheap land? Good luck.

Local real estate brokers say investors and developers are paying top dollar for raw land and older properties that are being sold for their dirt value alone in certain parts of the city.

"Land values have doubled in about a 2 1/2 -year period in better areas in Houston," said Jim Hurd of Houston Income Properties.

Do the ramifications for this include higher home/condo prices?

of course and it gives builders an incentive to put more than one unit on a lot where only one stood before. this article could have easily been written several yrs ago. i know my hcad property appraisal has tripled in 5 yrs. on another one i have it more than doubled in a yr.

Edited by musicman

of course and it gives builders an incentive to put more than one unit on a lot where only one stood before. this article could have easily been written several yrs ago. i know my hcad property appraisal has tripled in 5 yrs. on another one i have it more than doubled in a yr.

Very cool...about the incentive to put more than one unit on a lot. If a multi-unit is built, that helps even out the costs handed over to the buyer, doesn't it? At least to a certain extent?

Very cool...about the incentive to put more than one unit on a lot. If a multi-unit is built, that helps even out the costs handed over to the buyer, doesn't it? At least to a certain extent?

very cool? IMO it hurts a hood. i meant that in a bad way.

The seller developer is the winner in this case I believe. Its a bull market still. If you look at land value and the selling price of a unit, the selling price usually includes full lot value, plus the cost of improvement, plus profit to the builder/seller.

Just look at some of the multiunits up and down Potmac and Nantucket. Three units sit on one lot, 10,000 ft of land. The full lot is worth about 400,000. Each unit sells over 500,000.

very cool? IMO it hurts a hood. i meant that in a bad way.

I like the fact that the possibility of 4 to 5-story mixed use residences could be built. What else am I missing that you're not? Take me beyond the horizon.

I think I could see how it could hurt a single-family neighborhood.

Jim Hurd was probably either quoted out of context or something. I'd hate to say that he's incompetent, but land values by themselves in all but a very few neighborhoods cannot possibly have doubled in that time frame. It is misleading, and it most certainly is not a trend that can be read into from a regional perspective.