Public Art

Although Houston has some public art, it certainly could use more. Where is it most needed?

I vote for Main Street. Something that impressed me about Montreal is that there seemed to be a sculpture or other form of public art every few feet. It left me with the impression that this was a city which enjoys the finer things.

One which I wouldn't mind cratering is that pseudo-Cubist cello player outside the Lyric Center.

Nah, don't like the Dubuffet, although the cello player is kind of funny. Maybe part of the problem to me with the D. is its placement in that awful plaza at 1100 Louisiana. The sculpture is probably intended to somehow liven up the plaza but it seems to somehow just emphasize its barreness.

Personally, I like the Dubuffet, and think the David Addicks cello player looks like something you'd find at an airport gift shop. But to each his own. That's part of the enjoyment of public art - it stimulates discussion.

A friend refers to the Dubuffet as the "Metro Wreck", because of its colors. :D

Well, I'm the first to accept that my taste in sculpture isn't what it might be. A friend has informed me that I am in effect an ignorant boob for being unable to appreciate the Dubuffet. :mellow:

There's a junior version of that cello player in front of a house off Westheimer near Avalon. Does the one in front of the Lyric building still play music?

True story:

About 20 years ago there was a sculpture in front of a townhome on Rochow, just north of W. Dallas. It depicted a man pushing two laughing children on a swing-set.

Well, it fell over. The kids landed on their feet, in the street, and it looked like the guy was pushing the terrified children into traffic. How heartwarming!

During my insomniac days in my youth, I led a few other (also unemployed) friends through downtown and just walk. we'd check out the art and the buildings in the dead of night (11p-3am).

I liked most of the sculpture back then (was considered a serious nerd) and I like it today.

Maybe I'll take a few shots of coffee some evening and try to persuade a few of my (few) advertursome friends and see what it's like in those areas.

I'm sure it would only take us a few days to recover from that outing. :o

Ricco

How about those cows? We should do that again, except this time, we should have some professionals do some, too, to mix in with the high school ones.

....No.....More.....Cows......EVERRR!!!! Especially with those awful cutesy pun names, like "Moo-mie Dearest". Really, the cow thing was so lame. Houston just copied the idea from other cities that had done it, apparently under the belief that the populace would be thrilled by fiberglass cows decorated to resemble corporate logos. Go figure.

There's also a nice Henry Moore sculpture along Allen Parkway, which could stand to be moved to a more prominent location.

....No.....More.....Cows......EVERRR!!!!  Especially with those awful cutesy pun names, like "Moo-mie Dearest".  Really, the cow thing was so lame.  Houston just copied the idea from other cities that had done it, apparently under the belief that the populace would be thrilled by fiberglass cows decorated to resemble corporate logos.  Go figure. 

There's also a nice Henry Moore sculpture along Allen Parkway, which could stand to be moved to a more prominent location.

I liked the cows. I managed to find and photograph about 100 of them.

I seem to recall that the Moore sculpture was originally intended for the site which is now Tranquillity Park. Mr. Moore thought that having the Federal Building as a backdrop detracted from the sculpture, which is why it was installed on Allen Parkway instead.

And I agree; this sculpture should have a more prominent location. Any suggestions?

Subdude,

I found the cows cute. :unsure: They were clever and dare I say, "stylish?"

Sure, we may have copied it from another city, but I tell you what, it was VERY appropriate for us to have it here in Houston.

Hmm......Cows... :wub: I'd rather have them between bread, but the statues were cool.

Ricco

I seem to recall that the Moore sculpture was originally intended for the site which is now Tranquillity Park. Mr. Moore thought that having the Federal Building as a backdrop detracted from the sculpture, which is why it was installed on Allen Parkway instead.

And I agree; this sculpture should have a more prominent location. Any suggestions?

In front of Jones Hall or in the middle of the "Fish Plaza" in front of the Wortham?