Houston company bringing back the DeLorean?!

The day after I watch Back To The Future on TV, there's an article in the Los Angeles Times about a Houston company that's going to bring back the DeLorean.

Ob quote:

Marty McFly: Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?

Dr. Emmett Brown: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

From the good folks at IMDB:

096896039736_z_backpccu.jpg

They've been refurbishing DeLoreans at this plant for several years with limited success. I think they bought all the existing parts and the DeLorean name and shipped everything to Humble. Basically, you can buy a "new" car -- one built from new and refurbished parts -- or get your existing car fixed up to new standards.

Interesting, to say the least, but considering how long they've been trying to gain some traction and how little attention they've gotten, I wouldn't bet on this lasting very much longer.

in the late eighties/early nineties, a neighbor of mine had one and parked it on the street (stored it there, maybe - i don't think i ever saw it move).

a few years later i remember driving somewhere farther out than normal, and i saw a fenced parking lot full of DeLoreans. i didn't think i was in Humble, but where else could it have been?!

Edited by sevfiv

This place is near Old Humble Road and the Beltway. My neighbor has one he got from there.

Drive by during the week and they have them all out in the lot most day. You can also peek into the showroom on the weekends.

They have been open for four years that I know of. And they use Volvo engines, not the originals. That article was pretty poor on its information.

Edited by MidtownCoog

Why????????

You're kidding, right? After I first saw Back to the Future, a DeLorean was the first car that I TRULY wanted. For the longest time, it was my "dream car." Mainly because I hoped that Michael J. Fox would come with it. ;) Who cares if it's a POS? DeLorean had huevos to come out with this car. It's was too far ahead of its time as far as style was concerned.

They have been open for four years that I know of. And they use Volvo engines, not the originals. That article was pretty poor on its information.

i saw this lot around ten years ago - anyone know of a predecessor?

I am a huge car fan, and I just happened to watch Back to the Future night before last for like the 126th time. I think if they put a sweet spoiler on the back of those cars they would be more appealing to me. I have just never really liked the all steel monstrosity. Too heavy, under powered, style?, eh...........I could think of alot more worthy cars to spend my hard earned dollars on. It's nostalgia though, and if you want to buy a drug dealer's car, then by all means.

Edited by TJones

I am a huge car fan, and I just happened to watch Back to the Future night before last for like the 126th time. I think if they put a sweet spoiler on the back of those cars they would be more appealing to me. I have just never really liked the all steel monstrosity. Too heavy, under powered, style?, eh...........I could think of alot more worthy cars to spend my hard earned dollars on. It's nostalgia though, and if you want to buy a drug dealer's car, then by all means.

I find it to be an attractive car....gotta love gullwing doors. I do, however, agree with you about the underpowered-ness of 'em. That little V6 just doesn't cut it.

I find it to be an attractive car....gotta love gullwing doors. I do, however, agree with you about the underpowered-ness of 'em. That little V6 just doesn't cut it.

Now, if they could put a Nissan 3.5L V6, get to about 280 hp, because of the weight, then......maybe.

I am still laughing over the 1.21 gigawatts!!! I wonder how much it costs to replace the flux capacitor on those badboys.

Now, if they could put a Nissan 3.5L V6, get to about 280 hp, because of the weight, then......maybe.

Yeah...that's a decent engine but I've never really been wowed by it. I'd love to see something along the lines of a Mazda rotary (13B-REW or 20B-REW) although the 20B may be too long for the available space, and cooling would probably be an issue as well. What's the radiator setup like on those things anyway? In the front of the car? I wonder if there's any provision for airflow for intercoolers or such nearer to the engine bay?