History Of Marquee Apartments At 2525 McCue Rd.

sevfiv

Looks like the Marquee is about to go - i remember reading good things about them on this forum.

The Bali Hai was stuccoed beyond recognition, so maybe this is a more noble fate :(

Project No:

Date:

7/18/2007

USE:

DEMO BLD/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

MARQUEE APARTMENTS

Job Address:

2525 MC CUE RD

Tax ID:

• Like 1

'Bout time, those are terrible looking apartments now. I used to live at 2323 McCue, years ago, and was a little sad when I saw it demo'd. I am sure some nice Condos will be going in there at 2525.

Edited by TJones

OH NO! :( I used to live at both Marquees back in the '90s--I knew it was just a matter of time. I loved both of my apartments there. It was such a hip address!! Great examples of MCM apartments.

So sad!!

Edited by Parrothead

• 1 month later...

I can still see the sign that says "NO PETS ALLOWED"... And throughout the time that I lived there from 1999 to 2003, I can look back and remember good times with lots of friends, roommates and neighbors. I even remember the A-frame apartments across the street that were demolished about a week after I moved in. Would have loved to have taken pics of those...

I took one last look on Saturday (9.8.07) night and have included a few pics of the first stages of demolition.

I can still see my happy little bottom/left hand corner apartment at the end of the back row. :(

Jenny Q.

donotenter.jpgfrontentrance.jpgapt126.jpg

why are they tearing it down? what's its location?

It is at 2525 McCue.. THis is the street between Post Oak Blvd. and Sage that goes right under Kona Grill and Borders into the Galleria parking garage. I imagine that they are tearing it down because of the land value. I am sure a high-rise will generate more rent than the $625-$925/month rent.

It is at 2525 McCue.. THis is the street between Post Oak Blvd. and Sage that goes right under Kona Grill and Borders into the Galleria parking garage. I imagine that they are tearing it down because of the land value. I am sure a high-rise will generate more rent than the $625-$925/month rent.

But I guess nothing is going up that we know of for sure?

Do we know who owns this property?

In the fall of 1971 I was the paperboy for the Chronicle delivering to the apts in this area. Starting with the Windsor apts, I would carry huge bags of papers to every subscriber. I remember going through the windsor, and seeing many hanging furns, telephone cable spools turned into tables, and ozarka water bottle terrariums. Also doors open, people passed out on the floor, etc. I remember the bali hai, a fantastic tiki village, and the marquee being the quietest, staid, upscale units. The floors would squeak as I walked down the corridors at 4 in the morning. If I am right, the landscaping and atmosphere was upscale french-new orleans. I cant remember the rest of the apt complexes in the area, but I delivered to them all. I thought that the galleria area "edge city" would doom them someday

Hi Croberts,

What was/is the galleria area "edge city"? You mean the area around Hidalgo which used to be the run down houses?

In the fall of 1971 I was the paperboy for the Chronicle delivering to the apts in this area. Starting with the Windsor apts, I would carry huge bags of papers to every subscriber. I remember going through the windsor, and seeing many hanging furns, telephone cable spools turned into tables, and ozarka water bottle terrariums. Also doors open, people passed out on the floor, etc. I remember the bali hai, a fantastic tiki village, and the marquee being the quietest, staid, upscale units. The floors would squeak as I walked down the corridors at 4 in the morning. If I am right, the landscaping and atmosphere was upscale french-new orleans. I cant remember the rest of the apt complexes in the area, but I delivered to them all. I thought that the galleria area "edge city" would doom them someday

Hi Croberts,

What was/is the galleria area "edge city"? You mean the area around Hidalgo which used to be the run down houses?

Edge City is a term coined in a 1980s book by that name by the journalist Joel Garreua (last name misspelled). It refers to high rise mini-downtowns that spring up around major intersections of loops and arterial freeways. He cites the galleria area as generating more wealth than miami. Tysons corner in the dc area is another one. Rod Ericson did work on the evolution of land use around beltway-arterial interchanges- as the interstate system was completed, low intensity land use would be transformed into major commercial complexts, with offices, malls, etc. very rapidly in the late 60s and early 70s. In Joels book he lists numerous examples but the galleria-greenway plaza area is frequently cited. I do not think Transco Tower had been built yet. At that time, the original downtowns were still declining, and edge cities frequently were booming, in terms of commerce and real estate value.

Updates on this property...

When I drove by this morning, you could see the north westernmost building is completely demolished. It looks like they are getting close to having the property leveled. Also, our assumption that this property is primed for vertical growth may come true. This news is thanks to Houstonfella: HBJ article mentioning a new condo tower at this site.

• 5 weeks later...
Updates on this property...

When I drove by this morning, you could see the north westernmost building is completely demolished. It looks like they are getting close to having the property leveled. Also, our assumption that this property is primed for vertical growth may come true. This news is thanks to Houstonfella: HBJ article mentioning a new condo tower at this site.

These apartments were there when I was in kindergarten at The Oaks School across the street, 1961, in a big old house with a circular drive in the front. I can hardly believe they survived this long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

...just found a City of Houston subdivision replat for 2525 McCue. Dinerstein Companies is listed as the developer and the plat is now titled "Millennium Uptown". This is the same company that manages the Millennium Greenway. Looks like they could be prepping the land for apartments.

• 3 weeks later...

...just found a City of Houston subdivision replat for 2525 McCue. Dinerstein Companies is listed as the developer and the plat is now titled "Millennium Uptown". This is the same company that manages the Millennium Greenway. Looks like they could be prepping the land for apartments.

For what it's worth, there is still the big "for sale" sign on the property that has been there since it was demolished.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Marquee Apartments On McCue Rd. History
  • The title was changed to History Of Marquee Apartments At 2525 McCue Rd.