Despite fuel prices, commuters go it alone

More people than ever are driving alone to work as the nation's commuters balk at carpools and mass transit.

Regardless of fuel prices, housing and work patterns make it hard for suburban commuters to change their gas-guzzling ways.

From 2000 to 2005, the share of people driving alone to work increased slightly to 77 percent, according to a Census Bureau report Wednesday.

Carpooling dropped and the share of commuters using public transportation stayed the same.

For most suburban commuters, 'it's very hard to find someone to ride with, and it's very hard to find public transportation,' said Alan Pisarski, author of 'Commuting in America.' 'There aren't always a lot of options for people.'

People have been flocking to the suburbs since the end of World War II. Jobs have followed, enabling commuters to move even farther from central cities

More people than ever are driving alone to work as the nation's commuters balk at carpools and mass transit.

Regardless of fuel prices, housing and work patterns make it hard for suburban commuters to change their gas-guzzling ways.

From 2000 to 2005, the share of people driving alone to work increased slightly to 77 percent, according to a Census Bureau report Wednesday.

Carpooling dropped and the share of commuters using public transportation stayed the same.

For most suburban commuters, 'it's very hard to find someone to ride with, and it's very hard to find public transportation,' said Alan Pisarski, author of 'Commuting in America.' 'There aren't always a lot of options for people.'

People have been flocking to the suburbs since the end of World War II. Jobs have followed, enabling commuters to move even farther from central cities

You said, "Guess we'll just never learn."

So I was asking what it is that we are supposed to learn.

You made the statement YOU tell ME what it is you were referring to.

Thanks.

Well, for starters that we complain about gas prices and the environment, but do nothing to really change basic habits or ways of life that contribute to the mess.

We build bedroom communities further and futher out forcing many of us to drive further to get to work zones. Add to this the government's unwillingness to really plan for or steer our growth patterns and it is just a mess that is getting worse.

When people complain about gas prices now, I tend to laugh and dismiss their complaints because if they really wanted to do something about it --if indeed we really all wanted to do something about it-- we would have by now.

Our lack of doing so proves to me that we are all paying lip service to this problem.

Carpooling in Houston is practically dead. And by that I mean van-pools, slug lines, and regular old people-based car pooling.

We like our big cars, our big houses in the 'burbs, and obviously our long, expensive commutes.

Well, for starters that we complain about gas prices and the environment, but do nothing to really change basic habits or ways of life that contribute to the mess.

We build bedroom communities further and futher out forcing many of us to drive further to get to work zones. Add to this the government's unwillingness to really plan for or steer our growth patterns and it is just a mess that is getting worse.

When people complain about gas prices now, I tend to laugh and dismiss their complaints because if they really wanted to do something about it --if indeed we really all wanted to do something about it-- we would have by now.

Our lack of doing so proves to me that we are all paying lip service to this problem.

Carpooling in Houston is practically dead. And by that I mean van-pools, slug lines, and regular old people-based car pooling.

We like our big cars, our big houses in the 'burbs, and obviously our long, expensive commutes.

So it's not that we need to learn anything.

It's that we need to stop complaining about our own choices.

I am less convinced that there are as many hypocrites in the world as there are self-absorbed control freaks that think that everybody should want to be like them.

Well .. yes. I do realize that there is not much we can do about the PRICE of fuel, but there is a LOT we can do about our CONSUMPTION of it.

I do not want to make it seem like everyone makes this choice. Some people (those that cannot afford to live closer to work, who don't have automobiles, etc.) don't have the choice and must make do with more public or social forms of transportation.

Those of us that choose to live in 'Kingdom Come' and commute have made that CHOICE.

As someone who's family has been in the pertrochem business for 2 generations now I find rising gas prices to be long overdue. My father worked his entire life worrying about lay-offs. The company he started with had 6000 employees when he started. 30 years later when he retired there were only 800 left. The industry has been downsizing for the last 40 years. Oil companies may make a lot of money but they they get a lower return on invesment than most industries. I'm so sick of people driving TaBurbaScursions and complaining about how the oil compaines are ripping them off.

This is nothing but good news for people who hate suburban sprawl. It's going to take a generation for Americans to become accustomed to higher energy prices. People who have 4000sf houses in Katy are not going to adjust well to a 2000sf townhouse.

As someone who's family has been in the pertrochem business for 2 generations now I find rising gas prices to be long overdue. My father worked his entire life worrying about lay-offs. The company he started with had 6000 employees when he started. 30 years later when he retired there were only 800 left. The industry has been downsizing for the last 40 years. Oil companies may make a lot of money but they they get a lower return on invesment than most industries. I'm so sick of people driving TaBurbaScursions and complaining about how the oil compaines are ripping them off.

This is nothing but good news for people who hate suburban sprawl. It's going to take a generation for Americans to become accustomed to higher energy prices. People who have 4000sf houses in Katy are not going to adjust well to a 2000sf townhouse.

Amen. Amen.

Hey, what make is that TaBurbaScursions? Sounds absolutely hideous.

LOL

Chevron and Baker Hughes have active van pools. And not just to downtown. It's not exactly "dead".

Native Texans like me enjoy our freedom, even if that freedom is being stuck in traffic or paying a lot for gas each month.

Not to mention who wants to share a ride a bunch yahoos in the morning? I need my news and coffee in peace.

I really don't see the TaBurbaScursions drivers complaining about the prices. They have the cash.

It's usally the tree-hugging hybrid drivers who complain the most. Oh, and Hillary Clinton with her "oil profit tax" scheme. Like that'll work.

Edited by MidtownCoog

Chevron and Baker Hughes have active van pools. And not just to downtown. It's not exactly "dead".

Native Texans like me enjoy our freedom, even if that freedom is being stuck in traffic or paying a lot for gas each month.

Not to mention who wants to share a ride a bunch yahoos in the morning? I need my news and coffee in peace.

I really don't see the TaBurbaScursions drivers complaining about the prices. They have the cash.

It's usally the tree-hugging hybrid drivers who complain make the most. Oh, and Hillary Clinton with her "oil profit tax" scheme. Like that'll work.

Good points. Just that it comes with a price.

Oh yeah, not all of us have high paying jobs with big multi-nationals that have those amenities. Some of us are the working proels of the world making do, driving our sub-compacts, and just trying to get through life without too much grief.

Good points. Just that it comes with a price.

Oh yeah, not all of us have high paying jobs with big multi-nationals that have those amenities. Some of us are the working proels of the world making do, driving our sub-compacts, and just trying to get through life without too much grief.

i think you forgot fabulous. LOL

It's usally the tree-hugging hybrid drivers who complain make the most. Oh, and Hillary Clinton with her "oil profit tax" scheme. Like that'll work.

You're right on the money. I want to be able to leave work when I want, go to lunch when I want, run errands etc... People want freedom it just may cost a little more than it used to.

As far as TaBurbaScursions complaining I see your point but I think they complain along with the Prius crowd. I've actually seen a Soccer mom at the pump complain to a gas station employee... like he could do something about it.

An oil profit tax may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard from a politician. Taking money away from the people who are making your fuel is not going to make them want to make it cheaper.

I make fun of people with TaBurbaScursions but I'll defend their right to drive it as long as they don't take away my right to make money by selling them gasoline.

Ahh yes, another tired stereotype. I am native, and enjoy my downtown Dallas loft and car free existence far more than my car-neccesary suburban existence.

Just out of curiosity, how does being stuck in traffic, the price tag (car payment, insurance, maintenance, repairs, registration/inspection, parking, etc.), and social isolation equate to freedom?

I read the news on the bus or train, and the only traffic I fight comes in the form of clueless drivers as to what a pedestrian walk symbol means.

Ahh yes, another tired stereotype. I am native, and enjoy my downtown Dallas loft and car free existence far more than my car-neccesary suburban existence.

Just out of curiosity, how does being stuck in traffic, the price tag (car payment, insurance, maintenance, repairs, registration/inspection, parking, etc.), and social isolation equate to freedom?

Freedom means having the ability to choose, unimpeded by governmental forces. It doesn't mean that the options are without a price.

...and by the way, a lot of us would pay lots and lots of money for physical and/or social isolation. ;)

Edited by TheNiche

You see, here is the problem. Some people can't quite understand that different people value different things and therefore can't understand why everyone doesn't want to be forcefully shoved in to their neat little box.

Car free loft living...

Sounds like prison.

That's because you are likely a close-minded person who is afraid of the unkown. Being stuck in traffic is actually more prison-like, since by definition, being stuck in traffic means you are stuck there and can't move. A family of four recently moved in to my floor from McKinney, an exurb 30 miles away. The father spent 2+ hours in traffic a day and rarely saw his kids. Now he has a ten minute walk and sees them quite frequently. At the same time, the gave up a car and save nearly 500 a month just from that. Damn that prison.

The freedom to choose. Car free in Big D is still a self-imposed hardship.

Not really. Living in downtown gives me lots of transit choices. I have 32 bus routes, 10, express bus routes, 2 light rail lines (that connect to 79 other bus routes in some fashion), one commuter line (that connect to roughly 30 other bus routes in Fort Worth) and a streetcar line at my diposal. Then there is the bike that makes some of it unnessecary if I chose, or as I commonly do, use it in conjunction with one of the others listed. Then there are my feet, that allow me to go to the various shops or restaurants nearby on foot, rather than in car. While they all aren't always efficient in terms of time as the car is (though some very much are), they have various other amenities the car can't offer, some are tangible while others aren't.

As for my daily "commute" to work, I have 4 bus routes that pick me up within one block of home and 2 blocks of work. There are another 2 bus routes, the streetcar and the LRT which require a little more walking but give me even more options. Again, the addition of the bike makes even those really easy and convenient.

In addition to the above, the future will be so much better. In 2009, the first phase of the green line will bring easier connections to other urban environs nearby, while 2010 will bring the completion of the 27 mile line. The orange line will connect me easily with Las Colinas in 2011 and DFW airport directly in 2013. Two commuter lines will be up and running between 2010 and 2013 with further connections to places I likely wouldn't go if I had a car, but will visit periodically when a train runs. Also the MATA streetcar will expand a mile or so into downtown, making it more efficient with its connection to a nearby LRT station. And lastly, a new 5 mile streetcar line, connecting downtown to the very pedestrian friendly parts of Oak Cliff will be open. Minus the Oak Cliff line, all are in the construction process now or will be by summer's end. All this gives people in Dallas an option to own a car, but not require it. And on top of that, preliminary work is being done on other expansions to the transit system as well.

One last thing on the above statement. I will acknowledge this, there are places where transit has no reach. Most are bedroom communities afraid of "that" element or who view highway construction as investment and transit as subsidy and therefore transit as wasteful. Those bedroom communities I wouldn't visit if I had a car. They offer nothing different than the places I can reach with transit. I have no desire to drive a car out of my way to go to a McDonald's, Chili's, a car dealership or mall when I can get to plenty with transit. The only exception is my alma mater, which resides in the largest city in the nation without transit. That is really the only sacraficing I do.

You should be proud of yourself for being a trailblazer.

Not sure how to take this, but here goes. I am not proud of myself for any reason. I am just happy that I get to lead a life that I chose, rather than one forced on me by a greedy corporation who have lined the pockets of politicians for the last 60 years to further their profit margins, thereby forcing one lifestyle on the masses. It has been proven that when given competitive options, some will chose the car while others won't and go for something else. We just haven't had that option available in a long time.