Is your Tricon home leaking too?

By law, you have to go through the TRCC before you can take legal action. We are now waiting to hear back from the TRCC as to them moving forward with the 3rd party inspection. It is a timely process and while we wait, water continues to penetrate our house.

We saw on HOBB.org that they have a link to Homeowner Websites. We decided to start a website ourselves. In the meantime, if you are considering buying a Tricon Home, then we want to invite you into ours to see all the problems we have first hand.

During your visit, you can see the unfinished condition they left our house in, the inspection report we received after having our house inspected by an independent TREC licensed, ICC certified inspector (non-TRCC), the report we received from the Field Support and Forensics liaison at DuPont Building Innovations Department regarding the Tyvek building envelope, and all communications with Tricon including emails, certified letters, and pictures. Feel free to email me at cityliving101@aol.com if you are interested.

In fact, we are thinking of running an open house each weekend, with signs and balloons saying:

Tricon HomeOwner Open House

If you're considering buying a Tricon Home

STOP HERE FIRST!

Coming from the same industry, I'm an architect, knowing the filed and being an owner of a TRICON HOME, I have to say that my experience has been very positive.

Their warranty department and other personnel have always been responsive and friendly. I also had the opportunity to meet other people and some friends whom also have acquired a TRICON HOME and have had the same positive experience.

By reading your postings, I'm inclined to think that yours is probably a very unique incident, and I am sure that they will cooperate if you meet with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiousity, was your home complete when you put the contract in on it?? If not then you've got to take some responsibility for not hiring a good inspector.

I've built probably 30 homes in the past year and I can tell you that I've missed things on every single one of them. I take imense pride in trying to get the most from my subs and avoiding defects. The issue is that the the trades will walk a house sort of half-ass prior to hanging sheetrock to "punch" their work. Most don't do this very thoroughly, so as a builder you have to walk it behind them and mark up all the mistakes you find. Then have an inspector come in and walk it again and I assure you even more mistakes will be found. At one time I was averaging about 9 items per inspection on my pre-drywall/frame inspections and was one of the best in the company. That being said, those are still 9 defects that need to be fixed. The other thing to note is that homes are still man made and will be subject to items failing over time as well as settling etc... Some of these things are unavoidable, some are poor design by the architect and some are poor workmanship.

I'm sure Tricon uses several different framers who have several crews as well as many different cornice guys and probably a couple of different roofers with a few crews each. That is why every house is really unique regardless of design and reegardless of which subcontractor was selected to do the job. You've got to inspect/review everything before covering the house.

Sucks that this is happening to you and Tricon should have noticed it. We had a builder in a subdivision notice the cornice guy improperly installing the siding and the drainage plane. The guy had to rip off ALL the siding on the 2 houses he was doing at that time and do it properly. Someone has to notice and say something, but you can't trust that the superintendent who is building 10-20 houses at one has the time or attention to detail to catch it all. Thus, hire your own inspector!

In time you'll be fine. There really isn't anything that can't be fixed, but you are definitely going to be going through more hardships and discomfort in the process. Good luck with it all!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I have had numerous leaks since buying my home in 2006. The repair process has not worked to date. I am curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems with their Tricon home.

I have similar issues with Tricon and would like to speak with you. Please contact me at markr1123@netscape.net

• 9 months later...
I have similar issues with Tricon and would like to speak with you. Please contact me at markr1123@netscape.net

Tricon Homes? I bought a new Tricon Home in the Heights in October 2007. Since then I have spent many of my days repairing the deficiencies that still exist within my home (I wish it was only a leak). I turned in my 30 punch list and it was "never" completed - imagine that. Today (1/5/09) I am working with a sheetrock crew as well as a painting crew that I am paying to correct major flaws that existed when I purchased my home. Word to the wise; there are other builders you may want to consider!

I have had numerous leaks since buying my home in 2006. The repair process has not worked to date. I am curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems with their Tricon home.

Tricon Homes? I bought a new Tricon Home in the Heights in October 2007. Since then I have spent many of my days repairing the deficiencies that still exist within my home (I wish it was only a leak). I turned in my 30 punch list and it was "never" completed - imagine that. Today (1/5/09) I am working with a sheetrock crew as well as a painting crew that I am paying to correct major flaws that existed when I purchased my home. Word to the wise; there are other builders you may want to consider!

Thanks to this thread, I avoided buying a Tricon home. I fell in love with one of their units in the Shady Acres area, perfect floorplan, perfect location. However dealing with their sales guy gave me the creeps and reading this thread sealed my decision to avoid them. I closed on an HHN home last week and am extremely happy with it, HHN has been amazingly responsive to making repairs after closing which is really where Tricon's downfall is.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and helping me avoid a costly mistake.

• 2 months later...

I am surprised at the comments made by Cityliving101 in regards to their experience with Tricon Homes. I just recently bought a Tricon Home and researched the company as well before my purchase and came across this blog.

First of all I would like to say that I am beyond happy with my Tricon Home and the impeccable customer service that I received throughout the whole process of buying my new home. I feel that their staff was very responsive to my needs and concerns. I really felt that they understood what an important and huge purchase this was for me. Not to mention that I was recommended by my friends who also had the same great experience and continue to enjoy their home.

I understand how frustrating it may be to have problems with your home and time consuming. But, in my opinion customer service is most important when something may go wrong and they are there to help...and if Tricon Homes bought back your home to please you, then I think that is the greatest customer service story I have ever heard!! This shows the true value and quality of this company!!

This topic is closed for now since Tricon01 (who claims to be a Tricon representative) and Houston56 (who claims to be a Tricon homeowner) appear to be duplicate accounts or something around those lines.

That's unfortunate for Tricon..

• The topic was unlocked

Archived