HCAD has sq ft wrong

Does anyone know how hcad calculates sq ft for tax purposes? My architectural plans show sq ft less than what hcads has, don't know where they got their numbers from. Could it be they include all closets? and is the sq ft from porches and porto corche included even though they are not air conditioned? Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Guest Marty

I think garages are not calculated into the sq ft of your house?

edit; my garage is not attach to the house and it is not added to the over all sq ft of the house according to the HCAD

Edited by Marty

Does anyone know how hcad calculates sq ft for tax purposes? My architectural plans show sq ft less than what hcads has, don't know where they got their numbers from. Could it be they include all closets? and is the sq ft from porches and porto corche included even though they are not air conditioned? Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Unless you bring it to their attention, they usually use the outside dimensions of the home to calculate floor area. Unfortunately, this means that space in between the walls gets included. They are supposed to leave out porches and garages, or at least count them as seperate from the main area of the house, but they aren't perfect about that.

Guest Marty

The garage's don't show up on the sq ft on the house because they are not considered a living space.

Edited by Marty

• The title was changed to HCAD has sq ft wrong