Power surges...

foxmulder

Is there anyone a light co we can call? EVERYTIME it rains or thunders the power surges, or flickers, all my devices a are on battery backup, but still! We went through Allison, never lost power, Rita lost power for 1 hour and a storm a few weeks ago blew a transformer, they replaced it. Any ideas, House has NEW wiring new power drop and electric meter(old wiring almost caught fire and had to replace it.) I have 4 outlets in the room and they all beep(meaning back up power) when it rains/thunders usually once per day.

Is there anyone a light co we can call? EVERYTIME it rains or thunders the power surges, or flickers, all my devices a are on battery backup, but still! We went through Allison, never lost power, Rita lost power for 1 hour and a storm a few weeks ago blew a transformer, they replaced it. Any ideas, House has NEW wiring new power drop and electric meter(old wiring almost caught fire and had to replace it.) I have 4 outlets in the room and they all beep(meaning back up power) when it rains/thunders usually once per day.

have you tested the voltage on various circuits? you usually get more of a voltage drop depending on distance and depending how your UPS is set, it might set them off. the voltage range is adjustable on most UPS. i would try lowering the lower parameter. do you know whether a major piece of equipment is on that same circuit with the 4 outlets? are the 4 outlets on the same circuit? maybe trying switching the circuit breaker on that particular circuit to see if that makes a difference.

i think moving some of the items to a different circuit might be a good test to determine whether it is a whole house problem or something internal.

I've found that often these power anomalies correspond with the lightning outside. Not much can be done about that....

Guest Marty

It is because of the lightning like jm1fd said, the lightning bolt doesnt even have to hit a sub station or a power line to cause this affect. I had a TV short out when it starts flickering even with a good surge protector.