Quote button suggestion

gwilson

I was wondering how hard it would be to make it so you can quote a single post using the quick reply? This is the standard on vBulletin now. It seems logical.

Another suggestion is a "My Posts" button next to the "View New Posts" button. This comes in handy so you can easily keep track of your posts and get to them quickly.

Just a suggestion

Another suggestion would be a "You've posted in this thread" icon. The icons, as they are now, with a change for threads you've posted in.

I was wondering how hard it would be to make it so you can quote a single post using the quick reply? This is the standard on vBulletin now. It seems logical.

Another suggestion is a "My Posts" button next to the "View New Posts" button. This comes in handy so you can easily keep track of your posts and get to them quickly.

Just a suggestion

Another suggestion would be a "You've posted in this thread" icon. The icons, as they are now, with a change for threads you've posted in.

I simply clicked "reply" button right under your post and it quoted you, and here I am replying. It didn't take any longer as a regular or fast reply.

When you go to "My Assistant" there is the "My last 10 posts" option to click

When you go to your profile the "Posts" option will show your last posts as well

"Topics" will show you threads you started

But I don't think it would be much hard to add those suggestions though. (no sarcasm) :)

Guest Marty

If you want to reply to one post you click the reply button under there post, if you want to reply to several post you click the quote button on each post.

If you mess up you can use the edit button.

You can also preview your post to see if your links work before you post.

If you want to reply to one post you click the reply button under there post, if you want to reply to several post you click the quote button on each post.

Even I didn't know that one. I never really understood what the Quote button was for until now. Thanks!

Guest Marty

Just a suggestion

Kinda

I simply clicked "reply" button right under your post and it quoted you, and here I am replying. It didn't take any longer as a regular or fast reply.

When you go to "My Assistant" there is the "My last 10 posts" option to click

When you go to your profile the "Posts" option will show your last posts as well

"Topics" will show you threads you started

But I don't think it would be much hard to add those suggestions though. (no sarcasm) :)

Even I didn't know that one. I never really understood what the Quote button was for until now. Thanks!

this, The upgrades a while back made it easier to use the forum. thanks

I know what the reply buttons are for and what the quote buttons are for. What I'm saying is that it is easier (and yes, takes less time) if I can quote in the fast reply box. I rarely, if ever, use the reply page. I prefer the fast reply.

I'm also aware of the last 10 posts thing in the assistant. The information is available, but making it one click available to view all your posts. These are usability features that go great lengths (perceived or otherwise) to improving the user experience (it is the interactive architect coming out in me from my former life).

I believe this is an option that I have turned off. I did it because it's kind of taxing on the database. Because this forum sees big swings when there's breaking news, I like to keep the server load as light as possible.

For example, when the Binz Building caught fire on Monday, we had 2,000 people hit HAIF in five minutes with 10,000 page views. The server was able to handle the spike no problem. I'm not sure that would have been the case if I had the You Posted Here icon feature on.

You can also highlight and Copy the text you want to quote, and paste it into your fast reply, like this...

I know what the reply buttons are for and what the quote buttons are for. What I'm saying is that it is easier (and yes, takes less time) if I can quote in the fast reply box. I rarely, if ever, use the reply page. I prefer the fast reply.

Then, you can wrap it in Quote tags.

Done. There is no real option for it in IPB, so I stole some code from another part of the board and shoved it in sideways. See if that works for you.

I also make the blinky thing next to "View New Posts" bigger because I don't think a lot of people realize how useful that button is.

I also make the blinky thing next to "View New Posts" bigger because I don't think a lot of people realize how useful that button is.

i am really glad i happened to read this - thought my eyes may have been going a little crazy :D

and view new posts is a great feature

For example, when the Binz Building caught fire on Monday, we had 2,000 people hit HAIF in five minutes with 10,000 page views. The server was able to handle the spike no problem. I'm not sure that would have been the case if I had the You Posted Here icon feature on.

Say, I'd be curious to know whether it would be possible to display real-time and historical hit stats on the home page. Maybe divide each day into 30-minute or hour intervals and have a system that automatically updates a bar graph showing the previous 24-hour period, and then another bar graph that shows historical hits, such as monthly or annually, for as far back as you've got data.

Say, I'd be curious to know whether it would be possible to display real-time and historical hit stats on the home page. Maybe divide each day into 30-minute or hour intervals and have a system that automatically updates a bar graph showing the previous 24-hour period, and then another bar graph that shows historical hits, such as monthly or annually, for as far back as you've got data.

Real time? No. But every 24 hours I get a summary, and then another one at the end of the month.

The problem is that there is no real standard, accurate way to measure web traffic. All current methods are merely estimates.

If you're curious, here are the numbers as of April, 2007:

Average unique visitors per day: 12,827

Average unique visitors per month: 359,164

Average page views per day: 71,908

Average page views per month: 2,013,451

Average page views per year: 16,998,146

You'll see that this particular measuring program shows 12,000 unique visitors a day. A more stringent program shows us closer to 4,000 unique visitors per day. I choose to believe the truth lies somewhere between.

Why the difference? Well, it's a lot of things. For example, if someone visits from AOL twice in one day they may be counted as two different people by the first program since AOL assigns dynamic IP addresses.

Another example: You may recall elsewhere on the forum how I said that people who use ad blockers hurt HAIF. This is another way. They don't get counted at all by the more stringent program. So advertisers think we're a smaller web site than we are and either ignore us, or pay us less for the ads we display. So not only do ad blockers hurt HAIF by using bandwidth without viewing paying ads, they also hurt us by getting us fewer ads and lower-paying ads for those who choose to support HAIF by leaving the ads on.

I noticed the button and was like "yay! he listened to me!" and proceeded to let out a giggle.

Any idea on the making the quote option available in the fast reply (rather than having to reply or copy and paste?).

Archived