How Is The Real Estate Market Looking For 2008?

I am living in Canada, and I am moving back to Houston. (I am so excited! No more snowy winters and cool summers- it was 50 degrees and rainy yesterday, and it's JUNE!!) I am hearing a bunch of stuff about the real estate bubble collapsing in the states. Is this happening in Houston? I have also been hearing about near suburbs collapsing. I love modern architecture and or / 50's and 60's ranch style homes, and these are not so popular with the masses. What are your thoughts on this?

I have been house-hunting for a while, and it appears that real estate prices in Houston keep going up, especially inside Loop 610. However, it appears to be slacking off a bit in some of the outlying suburbs.

Glad to hear that you are interested in Modernism and Ranch Houses. Thanks to the booming economy of the 1950s, and the local "progressive" attitude towards architecture during that era, Houston has a fair share of Mid-Century Modern homes. You might want to talk to rps on the board - he is a real estate agent who specializes in these houses.

I am living in Canada, and I am moving back to Houston. (I am so excited! No more snowy winters and cool summers- it was 50 degrees and rainy yesterday, and it's JUNE!!) I am hearing a bunch of stuff about the real estate bubble collapsing in the states. Is this happening in Houston? I have also been hearing about near suburbs collapsing. I love modern architecture and or / 50's and 60's ranch style homes, and these are not so popular with the masses. What are your thoughts on this?

Houston isn't currently seeing any sort of major collapse. There may be a few isolated downward trends here and there, but nothing across the board.

When the price of oil drops, the local economy will suffer, and we will probably see values stay mostly flat, or decline for a few years.

Edited by jm1fd

• The title was changed to How Is The Real Estate Market Looking For 2008?