Anyone Seen Briarmeadow/Westmont/Tanglewilde Area Recently?

Hi,

This is my 1st time posting here, and I hope someone will be able to help me out. I lived and taught in the Houston area for 8 years, until my husband transferred to Canada. We are moving back to Houston, and we are concerned about the increase in crime recently. I have always liked the areas of Briargrove, Briarbend, and Briarmeadow/ Westmont / Tanglewilde area. We want to live as close as possible to the Galleria, and not pay more than 250,000. Obviously we are limited in how many homes we can afford, but I found some on HAR.com. I am wondering if the area is just to rough now. I know that Briarmeadow resident pay for a 24 hr off duty police officer, and I looked at the crime stats maps, BUT I really want to live around there. Any thoughts from someone who knows the area?

Thanks for replying! It's so frustrating looking for a home when I'm so far away. Every person I talk to is either living in or moving to Katy or Sugarland, but I don't want to live out there. I don't understand the fascination for gigantic cookie cutter homes 1- 1&1/2 hours away from work?

Thanks for replying! It's so frustrating looking for a home when I'm so far away. Every person I talk to is either living in or moving to Katy or Sugarland, but I don't want to live out there. I don't understand the fascination for gigantic cookie cutter homes 1- 1&1/2 hours away from work?

I don't either. One of my coworkers is buying a house out in southwest BFE, and he said they were doing it for the rugrats. I said look...if I had rugrats, I would buy somewhere with a good public elementary school then get them into magnet programs the rest of the way. I guess he doesn't feel like being away from home an extra 2-3 hours per day is bad for his brats.

My situation is a little bit different than most people because I am a teacher. When I go back to work, she will go to school in the district I teach at. So I'm not worried about the school situation. This is one of the many advantages a teaching professional has! I have observed classrooms in SBISD, KISD, HISD, and AliefISD. If the teacher is good, even somewhat "rough" schools can provide a good education(acceptable ratings +). Here's a tip for non-teachers- Don't pick the most in demand teacher on a grade level. (You know the one every parent wants!) They are usually given the worst behavior problems because administrators know they can handle them. They also usually have a higher number of students, as well as special needs learners. I would choose a good teacher who has been teaching a while. (No newbies, pregnant teachers, teachers with newborns, or recent grade level changers) I think most school districts allow in- district transfers to other campuses. (HISD does)

Just my 2 cents!

I don't either. One of my coworkers is buying a house out in southwest BFE, and he said they were doing it for the rugrats. I said look...if I had rugrats, I would buy somewhere with a good public elementary school then get them into magnet programs the rest of the way. I guess he doesn't feel like being away from home an extra 2-3 hours per day is bad for his brats.

Which magnet schools do you recommend then?

Which magnet schools do you recommend then?

In terms of magnet comprehensives, these schools tend to be favorites:

Middle:

* Johnston

* Lanier

* Pershing

* Pin Oak

High:

* Bellaire

* Lamar

* Westside

And for non-comprehensives...

Elementary & Middle

* T. H. Rogers

High

* Carnegie Vanguard

* DeBakey

* HSPVA

We've lived in Briarmeadow for 11 years now and are quite happy here. The homes are a tremendous value, given their size and the neighborhood's location. It's pretty convenient to be centered between 610 and the Beltway, with easy access to 59 as well. Retail along Westheimer has improved considerably the past few years. The Briarmeadow Charter School (HISD) gives us a good public school option, although you'll find neighborhood kids scattered in schools around town. We have an active homeowners association. Neighbors take pride in their homes. We do have a 24-hour security patrol because, yes, we are bordered by apartments. But I don't feel unsafe at all here.

There's a nice mix of families -- newcomers with young families, families like us who've been here a while and quite a few original residents. I'm surprised at how many residents grew up here and now own homes in the neighborhood. So far we've not been hit by the McMansion bug, but I keep thinking that someday we're going to be discovered and things are going to take off (good for property values, but aesthetically? Ugh.) I've seen quite a few houses "flipped" recently as original owners move on. It's a trend I like much better than teardowns, and speaks to the value that can be found here.

ETA: Here's the neighborhood Web site.

http://www.briarmeadow.org/tx/

Edited by rgraham

I live in Tanglewilde. My husband and I have lived here for 5 years. He is a Canadian, that I dragged down to the south. We love it here, crime is not a problem. There is a neighborhood patrol. My husband travels a lot for work, we have an alarm system but I never feel the need to use it.

The area has really improved over the last 3 years. More retail is coming in to the area. There is now a little coffee shop that we can walk to an the galleria is 10 min. away. Our house just went on the market last week. ...address removed... It is a 50's ranch with a huge oak tree in the backyard. We hate to move, but with two children we need more space. We are on a great street, all of our neighbors are so sweet. I am very sad to be leaving our house. If you have any questions just drop me a line.

You tell the whole world of internet strangers, what your address is, that your husband travels alot, and that you hardly ever use your alarm system ? What year did you graduate from Green Beret Training school ? :wacko:

You have no clue who is lurking on the forum here. You should PM her that info. if you are trying to make a sale. JMHO though.

Edited by TJones

Thanks for pointing it out, my wife overshares. Thank god we have already moved out. Wish I could remove her post.

You can go back in and EDIT it. Or she can, if you don't have access. Just lookin out for ya. I like to think of this place as a nice safehaven away from the Kooks of the world also, but like I said, you never know who is lurking. B)

as i read this thread, i thought, no way this woman is serious...

might want to ask a mod to delete or edit the post for you... but if you're out, that's not so bad.

briarmeadow... sounds like the kind of place i am looking for (if i move).

• The title was changed to Anyone Seen Briarmeadow/Westmont/Tanglewilde Area Recently?