New section: Saltgrass and Bay

editor

I've changed the "Pearland" forum into "Saltgrass and Bay" with the description:

The mainland communities south of Houston and along the coast of Galveston Bay from Pearland, Alvin, Freeport, and Lake Jackson to Clear Lake, Texas City, and Anahuac.

Originally I was just going to create Galveston Bay Area, but then it seemed odd that communities so close to each other like Nassau Bay and Pearland would be in separate fora. Then I noticed we really don't have a place for Lake Jackson and Quintana and other cities in that area. I know the Pearland folks lobbied hard to get their own section, but I'm sure they won't mind sharing with Kemah and Texas City. We're all friendly here.

I've also created a "Houston Metro" category, since it seems silly to lump Pearland and Webster in with New Orleans and London posts.

this makes no sense to me.

Pearland is a booming area with a lot of change happening and interest. What is Saltgrass supposed to mean? Are you refering to the prarie grass that grows at elevations over 2500 feet? I see no reason for lake jackson and places afar to have a place on a houston area board. Is there some great demand? Jus my 2 cents but there is a lot more interest in Pearland and now it will not be in an obvious place, thats all.

what makes you think nassua bay and pearland are close to each other.

I think a galveston bay area would be a good group, but this should not include pearland. IMO.

Pearland is a booming area with a lot of change happening and interest. What is Saltgrass supposed to mean? Are you refering to the prarie grass that grows at elevations over 2500 feet? I see no reason for lake jackson and places afar to have a place on a houston area board. Is there some great demand? Jus my 2 cents but there is a lot more interest in Pearland and now it will not be in an obvious place, thats all.

I think a galveston bay area would be a good group, but this should not include pearland. IMO.

The Pearland area by itself is pretty small compared with the vast swaths of land covered by the other sections, and the number of posts in that forum seem to reflect that. From the communities listed in the description, it seems that the focus is basically on all the coastal counties, Brazoria, Galveston, Chambers. Except for Clear Lake, Harris County seems to be captured by the East End subforum, per the description provided.

The name does throw me, though, because it sounds like advertising for Tilman Fertitta. Bay Area Houston is well-recognized, but doesn't extend so far to the south or east. Perhaps something like "Coastal Prairie", "Seaside Villages", or just a simple "Clear Lake / Southeast".

Pearland is a booming area with a lot of change happening and interest.

The Pearland forum had just 70 topics.

What is Saltgrass supposed to mean? Are you refering to the prarie grass that grows at elevations over 2500 feet?

No, I'm referring to salt grass which grows in coastal salt marshes in Texas. Re-read my previous post.

I see no reason for lake jackson and places afar to have a place on a houston area board. Is there some great demand?

Lake Jackson is part of the Houston metro.

Distance to Lake Jackson: 50 miles.

Distance to Conroe: 39 miles.

Distance to Huntsville: 66 miles.

It certainly is geographically part of the area, as well as officially part of the MSA. For example, if you've ever listened to K-Hits 107.5, you're listening to a Lake Jackson station.

Jus my 2 cents but there is a lot more interest in Pearland and now it will not be in an obvious place, thats all.

This is not an attempt to make Pearland seem less significant. It is an attempt to better organize the forum and include all of the cities in the metro south of the Beltway.

The map. They are 11 miles apart.

The Pearland area by itself is pretty small compared with the vast swaths of land covered by the other sections, and the number of posts in that forum seem to reflect that. From the communities listed in the description, it seems that the focus is basically on all the coastal counties, Brazoria, Galveston, Chambers. Except for Clear Lake, Harris County seems to be captured by the East End subforum, per the description provided.

The name does throw me, though, because it sounds like advertising for Tilman Fertitta. Bay Area Houston is well-recognized, but doesn't extend so far to the south or east. Perhaps something like "Coastal Prairie", "Seaside Villages", or just a simple "Clear Lake / Southeast".

I like "Coastal Prairie." I'll make that change.

The Pearland forum had just 70 topics.

that seems like a lot, but OK

No, I'm referring to salt grass which grows in coastal salt marshes in Texas. Re-read my previous post.

I re-read it I still don't see anything in that post that answers my question. but you did here.

Lake Jackson is part of the Houston metro.

Distance to Lake Jackson: 50 miles.

Distance to Conroe: 39 miles.

Distance to Huntsville: 66 miles.

It certainly is geographically part of the area, as well as officially part of the MSA. For example, if you've ever listened to K-Hits 107.5, you're listening to a Lake Jackson station. true enough, thanks

This is not an attempt to make Pearland seem less significant. It is an attempt to better organize the forum and include all of the cities in the metro south of the Beltway. I guess I just thought of pearland as closer to sugarland than the bay cities. I think "as a crow flies" will work

The map. They are 11 miles apart. damn! in a straight line maybe.

I like "Coastal Prairie." I'll make that change.

I didn't mean to come of the way my post read I guess. I guess I had nothing better to do this morning than to question the authorities. I'll back away fom the keyboard now.

Archived