Chron.com Lashes Out At Blogs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan. 14, 2005, 10:27PM

EDITORIAL JOURNAL

Notes on blogs

Trying the hot medium

By JAMES HOWARD GIBBONS, "Interim Editor"???, Houston Chronicle

Web logs, or blogs, are the hot new medium for commentary. So many have sprung up that one can only tend to a narrow selection or a digest of highlights.

I have sampled a few blogs, but enjoyed fewer. :lol: Though reluctant to do anyone an injustice, I find that most blogs lack the elegance, wit and insight :lol: one looks for in magazine commentary and editorial pages in their ideal state.

However, the blogger has the ability to make short comments on a variety of unrelated subjects that might not deserve a full-blown essay or editorial. That ability hovers before me in a haze of envy and temptation. The following is an experiment to see what it might be like to write a blog. In this case it's a Webless log, or slog: :angry:

i read the chron article by james gibbons about blogs. i decided to give him the benefit of the doubt about blogs in general since i've run across more than a few that leave something to be desired. i also sent him a link to our new blog and directed him to check it out before passing final judgment. believe it or not i rec'd an email from him right away thanking me - just thanking me. he never said if he checked it out or if he saw anything he liked.

debmartin

"Was it an automated response, or did he actually type you an email and send it personally?" (quote, tw2ntyse7en)

actually typed me an email and sent it personally. i respond to the chron reporters all the time, if they dare print their email addresses - i am never purposely rude but try to keep them honest. the only one who sent me a rude reply was the traffic guy when i asked him to answer my burning question about the traffic cameras. when i questioned whether or not hpd, metro and other law enforcement vehicles would receive camera generated citations he wrote me back and told me that was not an important question and detracted from the real benefit of the cameras. i recently started printing out these emails in case i decide to turn them into my next book.

debmartin