The Summit At 3700 Southwest Fwy.

kristiw

Linda (Eastman) McCartney's family fortune wasn't the Eastman-Kodak one - according to Wikipedia, her mother was heiress to the Linder Department Store fortune. Her family wasn't related to the Eastman family of Eastman-Kodak at all - more on this here (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

So you got lucky with those tickets. :)

I guess so....I think that was a common misconception at the time. I wasn't a big Wings fan anyway. A year before that concert I went on a backpacking trip to Colorado and all along the way every radio station was playing "Listen to What the Man Said". I got so sick of that song I never wanted to hear it again along with "Love Will Keep Us Together" by The Captain and Tenille.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw many shows at the Summit, but I think this was the first. I won two tickets on KLOL from Crash

Crash Collins! That is one of the names I just couldnt remember!

Next Trivia:

There was another late Rock n Roll show called "Jammin with Jambo" or something like that?

It was either spelled Jamo or Jambeau?

I would freak if someone could recall! :D

In the theme song they played Bad Company's "Ready for Love". Actually no this was played for a local commercial was it Love Chevy? showed a little cartoon angel with bow and arrow flying across the screen as this song played?

In 1977 my dad took my brother and me to see a closed circit TV broadcast of the Texas-OU football game in the Summit. It cost us a couple of bucks each and the place had several thousand football fans there. The Memorial High cheerleading squad were there as well and received rounds of boos when they tried to lead cheers.

The game turned out to be one of the better of the series. Earl Campbell put on a show and the Longhorns broke a six-game winless record to the Sooners.

• 12 years later...

I can't even count the number of shows I've seen at the old Summit. I think my 1st one was Van Halen in 1984 & right after that my mom worked in the law department for the bank & commercial real estate companies that managed the building so I was there monthly throughout high school & after I graduated pretty much weekly. 

Biggest prelude memories included Beastie Boys opening for Madonna's Like a Virgin tour in '85 at Hofheinz Pavilion. My friends & I went specifically for the Beasties who immediately got boo'd off stage. Who knew how big they would be a year later?? At that point they came back on their own for License to Ill and sold out the Summit, where me & most of 8 or so friends I crammed into my car got Minor in Possession tickets for drinking beer in the parking garage on the way in. The good old days of "here's your $50 ticket, enjoy the show". At worst the cops would make you pour all your booze out. Ouch! More Beastie Boys memories at the Summit include the Check Your Head tour in '92 when they were at probably their utmost prime. I remember the house lights going out to completely black, a deafening roar & some other noise we didn't recognize, then the lights coming back up as the Beasties took the stage. The whole Summit was beyond moving, it was flowing. Almost every single human in that building that wasn't on the floor was making their way towards the floor & the stage and in the bright blue & white lights it looked like water pouring from the top of the building down. One of the most physically unreal concert experiences I've ever had. It was amazing.

Some of my best memories include (but aren't even close to the # of times I've been in that building, including Houston Rockets playoffs & Finals):

1984 Van Halen (back-to-back sold out nights)

1985 PRINCE! (and Shelia E) - Purple Rain (6 sold out nights)

1986 David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em & Smile

1987 Beastie Boys - License to Ill

1987 U2 - Joshua Tree (back-to-back sold out nights)

1987 Def Leppard - Hysteria

1988 INXS - Kick

1988 David Lee Roth - Skyscraper (with Poison)

1988 Michael Jackson - Bad (3 sold out nights)

1988 George Michael - Faith

1990 The Cult - Sonic Temple

1991 George Michael - Cover to Cover

1991 Garth Brooks

1992 U2 - Zoo TV

1992 Metallica - Wherever We May Roam

1992 Morrissey - Your Arsenal

1993 Peter Gabriel - Secret World

1993 Depeche Mode - Devotional (2 sold out nights)

1996 Kiss - Alive Worldwide (their full makeup, all original reunion)

1996 Harry Connick Jr - private charity event

1996 The Smashing Pumpkins w/Garbage - Infinite Sadness

I was (am) a music fanatic so these were only some of the Summit shows...hundreds of others at most every venue in Houston, many more across TX & Colorado (try Red Rocks if you can!). Anyone remember the Lollapalooza shows when they actually traveled??

• The title was changed to Ten Greenway Plaza The Summit At 10 Greenway Plz.
  • The title was changed to The Summit At 3700 Southwest Fwy.

Archived