Sam's Roadhouse Near BJ's On FM 1960?

jimcas

What happened there? Anyone hear anything?

It's been gone for a while now, I think - if you want a picnic table, they seem easy pickings from the abandoned front deck!!

Red "DANGER" tape is only ever put up to be walked under... ;)

I read this (below) that BJ's next door had a fire but since BJ's doesn't have a front porch, I am now wondering if they really meant Sam's. It is from 5/15/07.

Houston firefighters found heavy fire at BJ's Restaurant Brewhouse on F.M. 1960 near state Highway 249 at about 4:15 a.m.

Investigators said the porch along the front of the building was on fire.The front of the building sustained heavy damage.

The building was under construction and was not open for business.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

No injuries were reported.

I heard Sams Boat closed down because of liability issues. Apparently, there had been an accident in the parking lot - a patron was walking to their car and was hit by a drunk driver, the driver had been "over served" at Sams that night. And then I also heard that there was a shooting of some sort. These could be rumors though. But I think they were having a lot of problems like this. They certainly didnt close due to business...they were always packed.

No seafood at these places - just a bar to hang out at. Sams Boat featured live bands on the weekend. I never went to Surf Shack but i think it was much more of a "club" atmosphere. Both places had a hard time staying out of trouble with TABC...I'm actually glad that we dont have them in the area anymore. 1960 is already dangerous enough.

Business had slowed greatly once the college kids went back to school after the winter break. Their operating costs were more than their profits. Thats why they started only opening on weekends and stopped serving food. That coupled with a few incidents and fines as mentioned and it was closed. BJ's was not affected by the fire (they never closed for business) which was mostly on the outside and destroyed the facia/porch. There is alot of smoke damage inside the building as well. The fire had started after remodeling had begun (about 2 weeks worth) and was supposedly electrical in nature. The building is still owned by the Sam's Franchise and was being remodeled back into a Sam's Boat from the Roadhouse format. Last I looked a few days ago, demo was being done to remove the damage and I presume they will start with the remodeling again. They wanted to have it finished by early summer to get some use out of that porch but it looks like that wont happen.

Perhaps it was struck by 'jewish lightning'.

That has floated around the grapevine among some others business owners but who knows... What is this? Their 3rd or 4th remodel for that site. It was a Mason Jar before them and BJ's got involved if memory serves me correctly. I'm not from around here. Only been around for 5-6 years.

Looks like they are making some progress. Went by yesterday and it appears they are pretty far along with remodeling. They also have a new sign up for Accepting Applications so they shouldn't be too far away from opening.

Looks like they are making some progress. Went by yesterday and it appears they are pretty far along with remodeling. They also have a new sign up for Accepting Applications so they shouldn't be too far away from opening.

I also saw a sign saying "Sam's Boat - Opening Soon" so I guess they are putting in a Sam's boat rather than a Sam's Roadhouse - not that there is a huge difference...

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any updates? Looks like they werea good ways through renovating the place. Patio is half done. I heard they had to stop with construction because they did not have the proper permits and some other local business complaied?

• 4 weeks later...

Heard from one of the guys that will be managing the place that they ran into a few setbacks but they plan to open September 9th. The remodeling looks nice from the outside. They sure are losing a ton of business though with that patio and outdoor live music area just sitting there all summer. Specially with teh Smoking Ban coming up this weekend...

• The title was changed to Sam's Roadhouse Near BJ's On FM 1960?

Archived