A 60-storey Home

According to this article, he's building it for his extended family and it's going to include quite a number of amenities.

all I can say is, "oh good lord!"

On a side note, with all the money he has, you'd think he could have a conceptual drawing that did not look like it was colored with crayons. :lol:

Damn, I hadn't seen the concept ... just read about it. It is more hideous than I imagined. Also, with all those open decks, wonder what the winds are gonna be like up there. Doesn't seem like a dinner part at Deck 45 would be too safe.

Of the 100 or so comments, it's interesting to see how people seem to mostly fall into two groups.

Most of the commenters from Europe say how awful it is that he's spending all that money in the midst of India's poverty.

Most of the Americans remark that it's his money and good for him for spending it the way he wants.

A Houstonian's remark is typical of the American response:

Looks like an awesome architectural project. Proof again that capitalism works every time its tried. Wish i could work on the design team on this one.

- Michael W. Shappley, Houston,TX - USA

This woman is from New York, but echos the typical European view:

how incredible that someone could build something that lavish in the midst of such terrible poverty. I can't understand the mentality of the wealthy in India, I really cannot.

- Jaki, New York, NY

My understanding from my limited exposure to people who actually live in India is that the lower castes/classes don't feel the jealousy that we Occidentals expect them to feel for the upper castes/classes.

This Agoraphoria thread talks about skyscrapers in India and how there are entire zones and cities for what are called "NRI's" (Non-Resident Indians), who are Indians who go abroad and make a bazillion dollars and then return to India to spend it fabulously. According to the poster who's actually in India, there is no sense of jealousy or envy like we'd expect here in America.

According to the poster who's actually in India, there is no sense of jealousy or envy like we'd expect here in America.

Could it have something to do with their religious system? I seem to recall hearing or reading or just general social recollection (and I am not Indian so I could be mistaken) that many of them believe you are born into a certain caste and there is no getting out of it. Additionally, isn't (or was) the caste system is rigidly imposed to basically prevented the majority of citizens from one caste from moving up to another station in life?

Could it have something to do with their religious system? I seem to recall hearing or reading or just general social recollection (and I am not Indian so I could be mistaken) that many of them believe you are born into a certain caste and there is no getting out of it. Additionally, isn't (or was) the caste system is rigidly imposed to basically prevented the majority of citizens from one caste from moving up to another station in life?

It's my understanding that if you live a good life, you're supposed to end up in a higher caste in the next life. I guess they just figure if they wait long enough, they'll be born into riches. I think a lot of people could endure hardships longer if they knew it was only temporary.

The crayon rendering is a riot!

That makes the spinning turds/rubix cubes skyscraper look magnificent!

When the 60 mile an hour wind comes through there will be a huge party waiting for it to tip over. Live coverage and all. Champagne everyone? :lol:

Of the 100 or so comments, it's interesting to see how people seem to mostly fall into two groups.

Most of the commenters from Europe say how awful it is that he's spending all that money in the midst of India's poverty.

Most of the Americans remark that it's his money and good for him for spending it the way he wants.

A Houstonian's remark is typical of the American response:

This woman is from New York, but echos the typical European view:

My understanding from my limited exposure to people who actually live in India is that the lower castes/classes don't feel the jealousy that we Occidentals expect them to feel for the upper castes/classes.

This Agoraphoria thread talks about skyscrapers in India and how there are entire zones and cities for what are called "NRI's" (Non-Resident Indians), who are Indians who go abroad and make a bazillion dollars and then return to India to spend it fabulously. According to the poster who's actually in India, there is no sense of jealousy or envy like we'd expect here in America.

Good insight.

I like the design. It's fresh.

Yeah, Editor is right. Although Urban Areas within India dont tend to have a caste system mentality as they used to; it still happens to be "in the air" so to speak. There still are many Indians that dislike marrying into a caste higher or lower then them. Yep, some Indians from a lower caste dislike marrying into a higher one. Its ingrained within their mental system like a computer's harddrive. No changing it.

They actually have a riot over who is more "less" within society. Youd think it be opposite.

Race to the Bottom: Low Castes fight to be Even Lower

http://www.pr-inside.com/race-to-the-botto...ian-r143578.htm

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/01/asia/india.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4998274.stm

Once i got into an argument with an Indian of a more conservative Indian-Aryan nature. He was arguing how "unnatural" it is for people of different ethnicities to be married and have children. I commented that Americans can appreciate diversity. He answered: "Why? Doesnt a white kid with frilly afro hair look distorted to you?"

Asians in general place heavy influence on family relations and "who you know". From their point of view we look mismanaged and unorganized in our dealings with each other but they scratch their heads because they cant figure out why we became succesful in the past 500 years.

Archived