KHOU & Walton

I'll start watching KHOU again too.

Here's what came across google when you put his name in:

Reporter Johnathan Walton, whose "Walton's World" features on Channel 11 have become a morning fixture, will leave the station in May.

Walton said Friday that the move was a mutual parting of the ways. He declined to go into further details, including what his future might hold.

"I'm not at liberty to say," he said.

There was a listing for his "wikipedia" entry and the entry pretty much affirms what I perceive is the consensus opinion of him.

Walton said Friday that the move was a mutual parting of the ways. He declined to go into further details, including what his future might hold.

"Mutual parting of the ways" is code for "he was fired." "Not at liberty to say" means KHOU probably agreed to pay off his contract, with the stipulation that he not talk about it to other local media. That way he can make a graceful exit, which will help him land a new job somewhere. The first law of leaving a job is to never EVER burn the bridge.

I'm also willing to bet that his entry on the Wikipedia was copied word for word from his resume. It looks like a resume.

I don't enjoy seeing someone lose their job, but I doubt that he's hurting financially. Guys like Walton always land on their feet somewhere. With that list of awards he'll do fine.

Edited by FilioScotia

I agree that he was hard to watch.

Excruciating to watch. I would go in a panic to grab the remote to mute or change or turn off asap. If I heard "Top of the morning" one more time I was about to kick in the screen. This is why I avoided KHOU in the morning. I am back to viewing as the norm now. This person was repulsive before & after the weight gain. Whatever coast he was from? his dark/strange humor just didn't work here. :blink:

My little nephew thought he really was a Leprechaun.

• 3 weeks later...
Is Walton's World gone from KHOU? Just curious as he is no longer on their website.

Zbrat

Timing of it sounds like his contract was not renewed. The news director who has a pretty developed sense of what good "reporting " is, probably inherited Walton's contract and has spent the time with no intention of signing another with him.

Timing of it sounds like his contract was not renewed. The news director who has a pretty developed sense of what good "reporting " is, probably inherited Walton's contract and has spent the time with no intention of signing another with him.

Are you able to quantify how the current news director's philosophy differs from the last one?

He is still on the website, you just have to look harder.

waltonsworld_header.gif

Now we just need to do the same to Lanny Griffith and Rosanne Rogers.

They are also useless.

Oh God! and that photo only makes it appear as if he is saying "I'm commin to get you suckers that booted me" Yikes! No sleep tonight. New Topic "Leprechan Stalkers"

and yes, Griffith is too 70's. It was much better when we just heard his voice on the radio. He is too outdated, need more youthful person.

Are you able to quantify how the current news director's philosophy differs from the last one?
o

Thanks for the question. This is my assessment from observing the no-frills staff Mr Connor continues to assemble, and from his previous brand of serious-minded news in Charlotte NC, including a Peabody award and a Dupont award. This kind of record especially in second or third tier markets doesn't normally come out of nowhere, but from a news director who actually directs the team around him, with a sound knowledge of how the on-air results will be respected by the public and viewed by colleagues/competition judges in other places.

This is no reflection on the previous ND, as I have no knowledge of how Mr Walton may have joined the staff under him. Mr Devlin may have had no hand at all in hirng him, so I can't speculate. But there is a trend of GM's assuming a role in hiring fringe personalities such as this. For example the Buzz lady on KPRC is actually tied to the sales department, though she isn't branded that way.