I've said ever since the controversy began that the $75.00 charge should be handled the same way that a ticket is handled: the vehicle owner/operator has 30 days to pay it. In the meantime, the city can pay the towing company/driver in advance and recoup (sp?) the costs by the end of the month (in theory).

But to force someone to pay $75.00 on the spot for, say, a flat tire when they already have a spare, only $20.00 in cash on them and no check book (and possibly no credit card) is being awfully unfair.

Giving them 30 days at least gives them a chance to budget that into their monthly expenditures, and they don't face the prospect of being stranded because their car was confiscated.

I've supported Safe Clear from the start, and think this will be a great improvement to the program. I agree that there should have been provisions for people who could repair the car themselves in a short amount of time or people who couldn't afford the $75 fee. However, one thing that many people forget is that hte program had a trial run on the Katy Freeway for much fo 2004 and there were only a handful of complaints. The ordinance that went into effect city wide on January 1 was based on the results of the trial on the Katy. Obviously the issues people have been up in arms about the last two weeks weren't major problems in the trial period because modifications to the plan would have been made before January 1 if they had been.

I'm glad that Mayor White has taken initiative on this and has once again proven that he is a reasonable leader. I've already noticed some improvement in traffic flow that seems to be the result of this program.

I've said ever since the controversy began that the $75.00 charge should be handled the same way that a ticket is handled: the vehicle owner/operator has 30 days to pay it. In the meantime, the city can pay the towing company/driver in advance and recoup (sp?) the costs by the end of the month (in theory).

But to force someone to pay $75.00 on the spot for, say, a flat tire when they already have a spare, only $20.00 in cash on them and no check book (and possibly no credit card) is being awfully unfair.

Giving them 30 days at least gives them a chance to budget that into their monthly expenditures, and they don't face the prospect of being stranded because their car was confiscated.

That's a good idea, as there are lots of people, especially illegal aliens, who don't have checking accts, credit cards, or $75 cash, and they drive the junkiest cars. The downside of that will be that they will become warrants for a lot of the same people.

$75 is very steep for a 1 mile tow.

• 1 month later...

Well, this program has been in effect for a while, and it has been refined a great deal. So whaddaya think? Is this still a good program? Do you think it is unfair to low-income families?

I think this is a wonderful program. I think it was OK as it was, but even better as it is now. As to being unfair, I never thought it was. I could sympathize with someone who runs over something on the road that flattens a tire. But if a person has bald tires and has a flat, then stay off the freeways. If you run around with an empty gas tank, then don

Looks like the city will be joining MAP according to the article in today's Chronicle about the compromise White and Whitmire worked out in Austin last night. But Safe Clear will also continue.

I think both are good programs. MAP can't do everything, and it's much safer for the minor repairs (out of gas, tire change, etc.) that MAP can handle to be done off the freeway shoulder. Safe Clear wreckers can get disabled vehicles to a safer location where a MAP officer can assist with the repair if necessary. Sounds like a workable plan to me.

Besides MAP isn't perfect - it doesn't operate during late night periods or on weekends, and congestion can still be bad during those times. Safe Clear is a 24-7 program.