Queen Of Peace

Does anyone know of any history on this church? I seldom ever attended mass there since we always went to Annunciation downtown.

Growing up in the area, I knew many kids that went to the school. Of course by the time they had to go to Jackson Jr High it was like letting a wild cat out of its cage. Just wondered if any of you had any personal stories to share of if you had pals that went there. Believe it or not this school was considered a real good one back in the day. As time marched on and long time parishoners moved or passed away, the church went in to urban decline. I know it had been broken into so many times it was depressing to hear about. Last time I went about 8 years ago they had graffiteed curse words all on the side and smashed the few saints they had left and stole the $. This is when I knew the people had lost respect for this poor church. It always seems to bounce back no matter what happens. Anyway if you had any stories. :D

I have a friend from school, and her sister goes to Queen of Peace.

The family feels that Jackson Middle School is not a good school (My school has some kids who graduated from Jackson, by the way), so the younger daughter attends Catholic school. The older daughter, who I call by her family name, is going to go to HBU as a commuter after graduating (I am about to graduate too!).

• 2 weeks later...

Queen of Peace just celebrated its 65th anniversary on April. It's a small, simple church with nice stained grass, especially the one over the choir.

Don't know much about its early history, but the church today is in great shape and shows no signs of disrepair. A new AC unit was installed last year and the interiors received a fresh coat of paint this spring. The parish was taken over by an outstanding young pastor belonging to the Companions of the Cross (they also run the Catholic Charismatic Center in Cullen) nearly 7 years ago. Evidently he was all by himself at first, taught himself Spanish and had to tackle a lot of challenges. By all accounts the turnaround has been remarkable -- the school itself has nearly quadrupled in attendance -- and some masses are now standing-room only. The two other parish priests are excellent as well and very down-to-earth.

Queen of Peace just celebrated its 65th anniversary on April. It's a small, simple church with nice stained grass, especially the one over the choir.

Don't know much about its early history, but the church today is in great shape and shows no signs of disrepair. A new AC unit was installed last year and the interiors received a fresh coat of paint this spring. The parish was taken over by an outstanding young pastor belonging to the Companions of the Cross (they also run the Catholic Charismatic Center in Cullen) nearly 7 years ago. Evidently he was all by himself at first, taught himself Spanish and had to tackle a lot of challenges. By all accounts the turnaround has been remarkable -- the school itself has nearly quadrupled in attendance -- and some masses are now standing-room only. The two other parish priests are excellent as well and very down-to-earth.

agreed! i started attending services there last year because of its unassuming, humble nature (can't say that about all catholic churches!) father christian (no relation to sister christian, natch) is an excellent pastor from what i've seen. the sunday late morning masses are hopping and quite enthusiastic. while it seems as there's been not too much updating of the inner decor in some time, it has kind of a retro feel that adds to its charm. here's a link to the church:

http://www.queenofpeacecatholicparish.net/...information.htm

(not that i'm recruiting! - there is a picture on the webpage)

agreed! i started attending services there last year because of its unassuming, humble nature (can't say that about all catholic churches!) father christian (no relation to sister christian, natch) is an excellent pastor from what i've seen. the sunday late morning masses are hopping and quite enthusiastic. while it seems as there's been not too much updating of the inner decor in some time, it has kind of a retro feel that adds to its charm. here's a link to the church:

http://www.queenofpeacecatholicparish.net/...information.htm

(not that i'm recruiting! - there is a picture on the webpage)

Thanks for the pic. Now I remember the church. :)

On February 9, 1962, the ground was broken and construction of the present church began

I guess i always thought this was older.

Never gave it much thought either as I thought it was way older than that. 1962? Maybe its a mistake. Maybe they meant the addition of the school. Oh well.

Never gave it much thought either as I thought it was way older than that. 1962? Maybe its a mistake. Maybe they meant the addition of the school. Oh well.

that is evidently their 2nd church. by that yr, i thought it would have been of a different design i.e. more modern.

Archived