8130 Dover $149,900

Mid-century modern ranch on 16,200 sq ft lot. Sunken formal living room, formal dining, paneled den with cove lighting and wall of windows, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. Travertine flooring in living areas and recent carpet in bedrooms. Ceramic tile counters in kitchen. Located in Glenbrook Valley's preferred northern section, right off of Santa Elena. $149,900

Dover8130frtb.jpg

Dover8130din2.jpg

Dover8130fam.jpg

I don't understand what you mean by MEXICANIZED. Can you explain?

I'll try, but it all just comes together with a certain je ne sais quoi that just screams MEXICANIZED!

First....look at all the pictures...

http://search.har.com/engine/harphotogalle...fm?MLNUM=443614

So...we've got this (presumably) VERY nice floor, and then a bunch of TACKY TACKY oak plywood cabinets that look like they were built in somebody's garage. Then there's the atrocious floral print wallpaper....and the whacky ass undulating chair rail and crown moulding that's 3 feet tall. But the best part has to be the terrible faux finish mirror above the cabinet in the living room. That's mexicanized. A mishmash of materials of widely varying quality that are totally inappropriate for the structure, period, and in no way compliment each other, yet all assembled into a whole with a certain misguided pride.

To be fair....white people decorate in certain ways that just scream CRACKERRIFFIC and black people decorate in certain ways that say GHETTOFABULOUS, and asians...lerd don't get me started on that.

I'll try, but it all just comes together with a certain je ne sais quoi that just screams MEXICANIZED!

First....look at all the pictures...

http://search.har.com/engine/harphotogalle...fm?MLNUM=443614

So...we've got this (presumably) VERY nice floor, and then a bunch of TACKY TACKY oak plywood cabinets that look like they were built in somebody's garage. Then there's the atrocious floral print wallpaper....and the whacky ass undulating chair rail and crown moulding that's 3 feet tall. But the best part has to be the terrible faux finish mirror above the cabinet in the living room. That's mexicanized. A mishmash of materials of widely varying quality that are totally inappropriate for the structure, period, and in no way compliment each other, yet all assembled into a whole with a certain misguided pride.

To be fair....white people decorate in certain ways that just scream CRACKERRIFFIC and black people decorate in certain ways that say GHETTOFABULOUS, and asians...lerd don't get me started on that.

I looked at the pictures, but I just thought the house was badly decorated, and didn't equate the decorating style with MEXICANS at all. Reading the details you provide helps me, but I still don't understand how those details add up to the term MEXICANIZED. I also don't understand how white people decorate in a way that could be considered CRACKERRIFFIC nor what this actually looks like, nor how black people decorate in certain ways that might be considered GHETTOFABULOUS or what that looks like. And I am African American. An an anthropologist, I deal with cultural issues, patterns, and explanations in my everyday work, but to characterize particular racial/ethnic/cultural groups' decorating style with such broad strokes strikes me as a bit stereotypical.

I looked at the pictures, but I just thought the house was badly decorated, and didn't equate the decorating style with MEXICANS at all. Reading the details you provide helps me, but I still don't understand how those details add up to the term MEXICANIZED. I also don't understand how white people decorate in a way that could be considered CRACKERRIFFIC nor what this actually looks like, nor how black people decorate in certain ways that might be considered GHETTOFABULOUS or what that looks like. And I am African American. An an anthropologist, I deal with cultural issues, patterns, and explanations in my everyday work, but to characterize particular racial/ethnic/cultural groups' decorating style with such broad strokes strikes me as a bit stereotypical.

He has made other outrageous statemetns as well. there are many homes built in the era with the same type of cabinets. there are many homes from that era with similar wallpaper.

there are many homes built in the era with the same type of cabinets. there are many homes from that era with similar wallpaper.

Did you get a good look at those cabinets in the pictures? I've never seen any cabinets quite like those. They're AWFUL.

Did you get a good look at those cabinets in the pictures? I've never seen any cabinets quite like those. They're AWFUL.

i guess the orginal owner liked them well. The countertop tile makes me think they are original. wood was very popular back then.

Oh quit your belly-achin' There's nothing wrong with those cabinets. The hardware could stand to be changed, but they are just standard wood cabinets. I think they are original. Personally they don't jump out to me one way or the other. I thought they were pretty standard fare.

The gold veined mirror in the dining room belongs more to a certain period IMO than to a certain group of people, I think it has been there awhile but it is definitely not original. It was placed there to seal up the back of the cabinets which were double sided with an open pass thru to the kitchen.

I am not a fan of the flowery wallpaper, but having dealt with these homes I can tell you old white ladies love em some flowery wallpaper too. As for the moldings, I don't like that in an MCM house myself, but the Hispanic audience hardly has a monopoly on excessive moldings in MCM houses.

The house overall is in good shape, but if it were me, I would get rid of the moldings, wallpaper, and change out some hardware. I don't think any of that is a big deal to do. At first I wasn't sure about the travertine floors, but it almost gives a feel of poured terrazzo. That feature has grown on me with this one.

Archived