Neutral Site College Football Games

mrfootball

Can you guys help me out, I think it was 5 or 6 years ago, or maybe it was the last time UH played Texas, I think the game was in Houston? From what I remember UH was very competitive throughout the game and really surprised Texas; however, Texas ended up winning the game. My question is was this at Robertson Stadium, I know it wasn't in the Dome?

More than likely it was played at Robertson--although that may be an entirely different game. The last time Texas played UH in Houston, the Longhorns won 53-26 and that game was definitely played at Robertson (Bleacher Gate).

Anyway, I hope UH eventually gets around to intiating the final renovations to Robertson (the one that has the facility eventually expanding to 50,000 seats). I've always liked the designs of the new yard.

More than likely it was played at Robertson--although that may be an entirely different game. The last time Texas played UH in Houston, the Longhorns won 53-26 and that game was definitely played at Robertson (Bleacher Gate).

Anyway, I hope UH eventually gets around to intiating the final renovations to Robertson (the one that has the facility eventually expanding to 50,000 seats). I've always liked the designs of the new yard.

Thanks! that was the game because I remember that score. The game was a lot closer than the score appears.

Why would A&M want to play LSU every year? It's an automatic loss on your OOC schedule. Is it going to help their recruiting to get manhandled by the Tigers in Houston each year?

That's an ironic statement. The reason I've always heard for the LSU-TAMU series being cancelled was that LSU got tired of losing their first game every year.

• 3 weeks later...

The UH AD is currently working on plans for expansion, upgrades and endzone facility. The current preliminary designs of the endzone facility and endzone stands increase capacity just shy of 40k, as I recall. If this materializes and the program continues to progress back to its original stature, an additional upper deck may be added likely on the west side. That would take it to mid to high 40's. That size would be plenty to have larger programs play at home rather than going to Reliant once a year.

The only reason why Baylor is in there is because a lot their alumni is on the Big 12 board.

Actually as I understand it, the reason Baylor is in the Big-12 is because Ann Richards was a Baylor Alum and was governor at the time of the breakup of the SWC and as governor made sure that UT and A&M brought Baylor with them into the Big-8.

I actually live in Waco and I tend to agree that Baylor doesn't belong. Baylor's natural rivals are the other big private schools in Texas (TCU, SMU, Rice etc.) and they stand out as a sore thumb as a middlling-size private school in a conference of big public schools. Baylor would have more success in football and basketball if it were playing against more natural rivals. It is rare that a private school can really compete against the big boys. Duke in basketball and USC in football are the exceptions. The more normal thing is to see teams like Northwestern in the Big-10 and Vanderbilt in the SEC struggle year after year.

I think it would actually be more interesting if Houston joined the SEC in lieu of Vanderbilt. As Houston is more of a southern city than a midwestern one. The model that Houston should follow is the Louisville model. I can remember not to long ago when no one paid any attention to Louisville. Now they scare everyone and have built a huge program with a new stadium.

In any event, back to the original question. The only reason I can think of for a school to play in a neutral site is for recruiting and fan development. I lived in Seattle for many years and you would NEVER catch the Huskies playing in the Kingdome or the Seahawks new stadium. On the other hand, Washington State, which is 300 miles east of Seattle likes to play there once a year or so in order to better recruit in the Seattle market. As I recall, they played Baylor there last year. I suspect part of why UT-OU play in DFW every year is to help out recruiting in the metroplex. It's a lot easier to round up a lot of local high school kids and bus them over to the Cotton Bowl than it is to fly them into Austin or Norman for a formal recruiting weekend.

By the way, I was at the UH-Oregon game last year and I agree, it is pretty lame to have college games in those pro stadiums. Just didn't feel like a home game. The venue is nice, but the atmosphere is lacking.

• 2 months later...

Uh, you expect the Republicans from Louisiana to be any better? Most of them are too busy visiting call girls to worry about things like quality public education. Or, maybe you expect David Duke to come through for all the poor blacks in the Lower 9th? :)

The problems in Louisiana have nothing to do with party politics. Pervasive Poverty. Racism. The closest America gets to a caste system. Hundreds of years of political corruption. A horrible economy that is only getting worse. Natural resources that are literally vanishing. A culture of dependence. All of these things are much more likely to have a direct effect on Louisiana than the Democratic or Republican Parties.

Uh, you expect the Republicans from Louisiana to be any better?

It's not about R vs. D. It's about competent vs. incompetent. Louisiana politics has had too much of the latter and not enough of the former.

The problems in Louisiana have nothing to do with party politics. Pervasive Poverty. Racism. The closest America gets to a caste system. Hundreds of years of political corruption. A horrible economy that is only getting worse. Natural resources that are literally vanishing. A culture of dependence. All of these things are much more likely to have a direct effect on Louisiana than the Democratic or Republican Parties.

I agree. I was born in Louisiana and lived there most of my life, so I don't need your lecture. YOU were the one that made it about parties, not me.

Archived