Moving to Austin..?

Zapata

Hello Team:

I was layoff in mid March and now I'm considering moving to Austin if I found a good job there.

I think I'll like to live in the Manor or Elgin areas, Anyone knows how's the commute at rush hour in 290 going towards Downtown Houston..?? or will be better to live in Georgetown or Round Rock areas..??

Also how are the property taxes compared with Katy..?? I pay around $3,500 a year, not even sure if is worth it to buy another house, Wife will like more to move to an apartment complex.

Finally..Is it worth it to live in Austin..?? I really like Houston but so far no good job leads, so I need to expand my job horizons.

Any ideas/advice will be really appreciated.

Thank you very much.

I rarely go into Austin on 290 since I live in Bastrop. However, I have had occasion to do so, and every time I go that way, there seems to be another intersection that has a stoplight.

There are a number of lights going in Hwy 71 as well, but the highway has been opened to eliminate many of them.

The area between Austin and Bastrop is in the beginning stages of what I believe will be a boom. The new Lost Pines Hyatt at Pope Bend Rd has been a boost to the area. The tollway bypassing I-35 will connect to 71 from Manor soon, and that should spur even more growth.

I would suggest you check into Bastrop, or the area just west of there for quality of living as well as an investment opportunity. I totally love it here.

Hello Team:

I was layoff in mid March and now I'm considering moving to Austin if I found a good job there.

I think I'll like to live in the Manor or Elgin areas, Anyone knows how's the commute at rush hour in 290 going towards Downtown Houston..?? or will be better to live in Georgetown or Round Rock areas..??

Also how are the property taxes compared with Katy..?? I pay around $3,500 a year, not even sure if is worth it to buy another house, Wife will like more to move to an apartment complex.

Finally..Is it worth it to live in Austin..?? I really like Houston but so far no good job leads, so I need to expand my job horizons.

Any ideas/advice will be really appreciated.

Thank you very much.

What kind of work do you do? I've 'heard' (and not from entirely reliable sources mind you) that Austin's work scene is not as robust or as high paying as Houston's.

What kind of work do you do? I've 'heard' (and not from entirely reliable sources mind you) that Austin's work scene is not as robust or as high paying as Houston's.

I work in the IT Field (Desktop/Technical Support) Austin is always listed as one of the best places to live:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bp.../bigcities.html

That's why I'm getting interested in moving there, I'm aware that housing costs are higher in Austin.

Austin is a great city to live but I suggest you consider living within the city limits of Austin. Living in the suburbs, your going to have to rely on your car. Depending on what your looking for in a home and your price range you can find some affordable areas within the city limits. Depending on where in the city you could be living very close to everything you could possibly need within walking distance. I live in South Austin and I can walk to grocery stores, shops, restraunts, parks. I can take the bus anywhere in the city easily. Downtown is only 4 and a half miles away. Im even within 5 blocks of a hospital. Austin has some pretty bad traffic so I would consider living within easy access of mass transportation or within walking distance of places where you normally would need to go.

• 2 months later...

I would pick Manor and Elgin over Georgetown and Round Rock anyday. Georgetown has the rudest people I have ever met in Texas. I still have some acquaintances in Georgetown, but I get tired of being honked at for no reason and poor customer service at the businesses there, so I tend to avoid it entirely. I've known a few people who worked in Georgetown but lived in Round Rock for the same reasons. Elgin also has an excellent BBQ restaurant.

You might also consider Marble Falls if you can swing the commute to Austin. The property taxes in Austin are pretty high so you might not want a house in Austin, anyway.

Manor and Elgin, are a little far out of Austin. You may want to loo into the Far West @ Mopac area of town. Nice, quiet, easy access to anywhere in town. I used to make the trip from Austin(Far West @ Mopac) to Elgin and back everyday, it's about 45 minutes one way, and that's without traffic. U.S. 290 is a lonely road.

Manor and Elgin, are a little far out of Austin.

Lots of people live in Manor and work in Austin. Elgin might be a little too far out but not Manor. I think the benefits of living in Manor would outweigh the hassle of Austin.

Archived