Home Construction/Renovation In Broadmoor

A couple of weeks ago, two ramshackle houses in the 1400 block of Lawson were finally demolished and several loads of clay gumbo fill dirt were dumped on the property. Yesterday, I noticed three house numbers painted on scrap lumber stuck on top of the piles of dirt. Anyone have inside information as to what's going on?

In the 1500 block of Elliott there's a new 1-story (perhaps story-and-a-half) townhouse with the garage neatly tucked out of sight in the back. It's been under construction for several months but weeks go by with no building activity. Next to it is a recently-sold (asking price $40+K) stucco cottage that my "flipper" friend considered a teardown due to basic condition problems. Apparently someone liked it enough to do a cosmetic rehab and front yard plantings - can't tell if it's a "flip" or not.

A couple of weeks ago, two ramshackle houses in the 1400 block of Lawson were finally demolished and several loads of clay gumbo fill dirt were dumped on the property. Yesterday, I noticed three house numbers painted on scrap lumber stuck on top of the piles of dirt. Anyone have inside information as to what's going on?

three house numbers where two once were? good sign if you want a smaller yard.

I couldn't tell if there once stood two or three homes there however I trust it was two since Silver Fox lives closer. I do hope though that the builder puts up quality nice homes that will improve the neighborhood.

Here's hoping!

Scharpe St Guy

Drove by the site this morning and no work yet, however it appeared to originally be three lots with two homes when viewing the homes across the street. It will be interesting if they put three homes up or attempt to subdivide the lots and squeeze a few more in. According to Zillow the second lot 1505 was empty while 1511 Lawson and 1515??? Lawson both had structures that were torn down. Each lot is 6,250sqft large, all three lots are/were owned by George and Joann Woodburn. It appears on HCAD that they have 1511 labeled on two lots so it's (1505, 1511, 1511) 1519, 1521, etc...

Any one have any inside scoop on what is going on here?

Scharpe St Guy

Drove by the site this morning and no work yet, however it appeared to originally be three lots with two homes when viewing the homes across the street. It will be interesting if they put three homes up or attempt to subdivide the lots and squeeze a few more in. According to Zillow the second lot 1505 was empty while 1511 Lawson and 1515??? Lawson both had structures that were torn down. Each lot is 6,250sqft large, all three lots are/were owned by George and Joann Woodburn. It appears on HCAD that they have 1511 labeled on two lots so it's (1505, 1511, 1511) 1519, 1521, etc...

Scharpe St Guy

Just old info. I once beat up the guy that lived in one of the old houses. They moved then let it rot until it caved in. Unreal.

Personally, I would not live on that street. Mostly rentals, street way, way too narrow and even closer to RR Tracks. Train goes by regularly. Then there is Triangle Park about 3 blocks way has always attracted a bad element mostly gangs/drugs. If they cram or try to cram all of those structures there I would love to hear what the new tenants learn as time goes by. Manuevering an auto in and out, gotta see it happen. Honestly the 1500 block of that area is one that we always stayed away from. trouble. It hit the skids by late 70's. 1400 block area is like night and day. Much better and go look at Fourcade and how that person built that nice model home with 6 car garage, thats the way to go. I'm sorry if I'm not sounding too positive I just have to be honest to others. I know if I wanted to move somewhere I would definetly want a local to be kind enough to help. Guess I could have made it sound like a Rice U kind of area but I just cant. ;)

Vertigo,

As you obviously know the east end has it's problems however the brush you use to paint your pictures is far to large to convey the reality. Yes the 1500 block is closer to the railroad tracks, trains also typically use inner city tracks on a regular schedule, so what? Broadmoor Park is not the drug and gang infested park you make it out to be, honestly before you speak/type get your facts correct. The area constable would walk past 21 homes (single side of a street) to reach this park. Do you honestly believe that Victor Trevino would allow this is in his backyard?

If I were moving somewhere I would have no hesitation of moving into Broadmoor as it is Safe, for the most part very quiet, and change is occurring. Prevailing lot size is larger in Broadmoor (6,250) then it is in your area around Sunnyland and Bonsrell (~5,800) and the homes here are brick clad rather then wood/hardie.

If they wish to build 6 new townhomes on those three lots then God bless them. Most likely that would correspond to approx 2 cars to each townhouse which isn't far off what some homes here have when you include all the residents inside the home and those in the garage. This may actually make the street nicer since the new OWNERS would most likely park in the garage/driveway rather then the street.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

Just old info. I once beat up the guy that lived in one of the old houses. They moved then let it rot until it caved in. Unreal.

Personally, I would not live on that street. Mostly rentals, street way, way too narrow and even closer to RR Tracks. Train goes by regularly. Then there is Triangle Park about 3 blocks way has always attracted a bad element mostly gangs/drugs. If they cram or try to cram all of those structures there I would love to hear what the new tenants learn as time goes by. Manuevering an auto in and out, gotta see it happen. Honestly the 1500 block of that area is one that we always stayed away from. trouble. It hit the skids by late 70's. 1400 block area is like night and day. Much better and go look at Fourcade and how that person built that nice model home with 6 car garage, thats the way to go. I'm sorry if I'm not sounding too positive I just have to be honest to others. I know if I wanted to move somewhere I would definetly want a local to be kind enough to help. Guess I could have made it sound like a Rice U kind of area but I just cant. ;)

As a Broadmoor resident who currently lives within sight of Broadmoor-Kretschmer (Triangle) Park, I can tell you that things in this neighborhood are changing for the better. Gang and drug activity have greatly diminished; the park is frequented by families with small children; the park basketball court is in constant use by kids of all ages. The whole area is well-patrolled by HPD and Pct. 6 officers.

Living close to train tracks without grade separation at the street crossings presents problems in many areas of Houston. However, the proximity of train tracks did not deter Kipp Academy from purchasing acreage near the Telephone/Lawndale intersection for its new campus.

This neighborhood will never be a "Rice U kind of area". However, according to longtime residents as well as police records, it's a better and safer place to live now than it was 10 or 15 years ago. Of course, a neighborhood in transition is not everyone's choice of a place to live, but for some of us who were priced out of the Heights and Montrose, this will do nicely.

Scharpe St Guy

Thanks for checking on the lot addresses and progress.You're right, it IS the 1500 Block of Lawson (my error - sanding too much lead paint affects the brain). Those lots are larger than my 5000 sq ft one; they look deeper but perhaps the same 50 ft. width. Things are beginning to get very interesting in our neck of the woods!

Silverartfox

• The title was changed to Home Construction/Renovation In Broadmoor

Archived