East End Forums

...the inaugural event in a series of quarterly luncheons that will focus on issues such as the economic effect of Metro and the Harrisburg rail line on the East End; how adding parks, green space and trails will impact development; how to encourage more affordable housing; the need for more retail centers; and how the Port of Houston factors in with the area's economy.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/east/news/4766924.html

Is this available for anyone to go? If so, did any of you have a chance to attend?

From quotes that the chronicle provides, the man who spoke made it sound like the east end has a lot of potential.

Where do yall see that side of town going? And how soon?

Is this available for anyone to go? If so, did any of you have a chance to attend?

From quotes that the chronicle provides, the man who spoke made it sound like the east end has a lot of potential.

Read all under Urban Corridor topic for East End.

Keep in mind this event was only focusing on Harrisburg area not the nicer parts like where all of us East Enders on this forum live, its the truth sorry. Harrisburg is like trying to tranform an ex-convict, GL.

I for one was not impressed it was more of a propaganda event than anything. I decided to mind my own business and focus on my immediate area Lawndale/Wayside/45.

Anyone willing to pay $30 can go. I had the chance to attend and did so.

Michael Gallis, although well-known and respected, spent about an hour of his hour and a half talking about Charlotte and its suburbs in the context of consulting work that he's done for them in the past. He had a few interesting things to say, although at times he betrayed himself as lacking knowledge of logistics in the 21st century and their respective economic impacts. Of the perhaps 30 minutes that he spent talking about Houston, he only made comments relating to the East End as might be expected of someone that glanced at a City of Houston street map 30 minutes before the presentation; while not necessarily invalid, they were superficial and lacked insight. He was more or less giving his consulting business an excessively big plug in front of a captive audience.

To me, it was largely a disappointment. Food was good though, and there were plenty of good networking opportunities. That is the true value of these kinds of events.

Archived