HAIF for HALF now HAIF for LIFE

editor

If I turn on ads in the skin selector, will it generate revenue even though I use an ad blocker?

It depends on how effective your ad blocker is, the tactics it uses, and several other factors. But broadly speaking, if you can't see the ads, then no -- no revenue is generated.

I'm starting to think you might have a good idea, but I'm not sure why donors should be unequal to subscribers. They're essentially the same thing, just one chooses to view ads, too. I'd rather people just subscribed and turned their ads back on. That way I'm not taking charity from people (difficult for my accounting and my pride) and everyone gets what they want.

What are you talking about with this accounting thing? Revenue is revenue. People that donate are essentially getting vanity plates. There. You have contractural consideration in a bona-fide transaction as far as the IRS is concerned. No muss, no fuss, and you made money.

As for pride...pfft. Sell it. It's only holding you back, man.

I'm starting to think you might have a good idea, but I'm not sure why donors should be unequal to subscribers. They're essentially the same thing, just one chooses to view ads, too. I'd rather people just subscribed and turned their ads back on. That way I'm not taking charity from people (difficult for my accounting and my pride) and everyone gets what they want.

I don't want to end up balkanizing HAIF. Something that Mark Barnes noted in another thread is that all HAIFers are pretty much equal. With the exception of moderators, everyone gets to see and use all of the HAIF content.

Jeez man, I'm not talking about special privileges. I'm talking about a little nameplate that basically just makes Donors feel especially good about themselves. It's costless and has absolutely no effect on fuctionality.

I fear setting a precedent with unequal classes of HAIFers could lead to fragmentation based on the ability to pay. That's not what I want to happen down the road.

You're the owner. You are the decider. There's only one of you. There's no checks and balances, no term limits. I mean, are you afraid you're going to get schloppy drunk one night and decide to arbitrarily Balkanize HAIF?

The slippery slope fallacy really has no relevance to your situation.

• 1 month later...
Is anyone else getting those weightloss ads showing unpleasant before and after shots? My cookies should not be revealing this b/c I don't go to those sites. Weird.

Those are awful, aren't they? I've been trying to block them for the last two weeks with mixed results. The company pushing the ads does so under many different names, so it's hard to keep up with them. But I'm glad someone else dislikes them as much as I do.

Those are awful, aren't they? I've been trying to block them for the last two weeks with mixed results. The company pushing the ads does so under many different names, so it's hard to keep up with them. But I'm glad someone else dislikes them as much as I do.

Yeah, not exactly the pictures you want popping up at work. But I'm glad they're gone for good...for this month at least ;)

Yeah, not exactly the pictures you want popping up at work. But I'm glad they're gone for good...for this month at least ;)

I just found a bunch scheduled for next week. I feel like one of those guys with the "No fat chicks" T-shirts.

Archived