Has Power 97.5 Changed?

citykid09

They haven't changed yet, but I believe they intend to.

Just not able to compete with Magic.

Right now they are running automated and jockless and that will probably last until sometime in February.

There are rumors of a rock station starting up either on 97.5 or on 103.7 when they are ready to sign that on.

No one really knows for sure what the format of either station will be though.

I say bring back the rock.

Glen

Feb 15th is the date for Walton & Johnson to be back on the air in Houston. The station will be 97.5 till the new 103.7 tower is fully functional. The format for 97.5 will be Adult Oriented Rock. Alittle more upscale then the old Rock 101 KLOL format. Hope this clears things up. Looking forward towards the change.

My source is John Walton of the Walton & Johnson show. They like to keep their listeners up to date on events an what's going on at their website:

http://waltonandjohnson.com/index2.html

Enjoy! "_~

I noticed Power 97.5 running jockless this morning. I don't know how long now, but they were playing R&B today; there was no Guy Lambert's Empower Houston or Anthony Vallerie's Power Praise Party. Not only that, I also wonder what will become of the Slow Jam With Kevin Slow Jammin' James. If Power goes off the air, that means WHUR (Howard University) in DC will be the only affiliate to carry it; it aired on several other urban stations before getting pulled a year ago.

• 3 weeks later...
:D YEAH BABY! WHERE'S DAVE? OUTLAW? WHERE ARE YOU?IT HAS BEEN A QUIET RIDE TO & FROM BECAUSE I CHOOSE NOT TO LISTEN TO ANYTHING CLEARCHANNEL AFFILATED - AKA BIG BROTHER. THE COMPANY DEFINATELY HAS CONTROL OF WHAT WE HEAR. WITH A CITY LIKE HOUSTON IT IS SAD THAT WE HAVE SUCH CRAP...ROCK 97.5 GO! OUT 420

Does anyone know what happend to this radio station?

If anyone can listen in tell me what the new format sounds like.

I here that it may become a spanish station.

sponsor_1.gif

Heres the dealo with power 97.5 if you havent herd by now, Its the return of rock Klol. But now its gunna be KIOL instead. Rock jocks Walton and Johnson, Jim Pruiett, and Outlaw Dave are rumored to return to the air thru this station. The people of Houston have been herd and to hell with Clear Channel Communications and thier overpaid decion makers who cant wipe thier own asses without someone else holding thier hands. Long Live Rock KIOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people of Houston have been herd

I love your Freudian slip. The people have indeed been herded onto just another frequency to hear the same crap they heard before. Or, rather, the station will spike in interest for a few weeks and then return to its middle-tier ranking. This format is not advertiser-friendly, The Jocks are amateurish and childish and the music appeals mostly to mouth breathers. How is this a good thing?

XM and Sirius are killing radio faster than Clear Channel. Clear Channel even has a stake in XM, but there, the programming is fantastic. It's clear the broadcast radio powers have decided to relegate the airwaves to second-class status -- teen repetition, "rock stations," ethnic niches, country and various other unbearable formats. Those who still love music, good talk, news and entertainment moved on to satellite a long time ago.

Jan. 28, 2005, 6:46AM

Tune in to 97.5 and you'll rock around the clock

By CLIFFORD PUGH

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Fans who mourned the loss of KLOL-FM have reason to rejoice.

ADVERTISEMENT

There's a new rock station in town.

In a not-so-subtle jab at KLOL, which for 35 years billed itself as "The Texas Rock 'n' Roll Authority" before switching to a Spanish hip-hop/reggaeton music format aimed at a young Latino audience two months ago, the new station's call letters are KIOL.

At noon Thursday, Cumulus Media flipped the former KRWP-FM Power 97.5 urban contemporary station to Rock 97.5. The first song played was AC/DC's For Those About to Rock (We Salute You).

The station is led by radio veteran Pat Fant, who managed KLOL in its heyday from 1983 until 1995, when he introduced the Buzz alternative music format at KTBZ-FM (94.5).

"This town is too big, too fast, too fantastic not to have a real rock station," Fant told an excited crowd at a launch party at the Fox Sports Grill.

Former KLOL personalities Jim Pruett and Dayna Steele Justiz were among those in the audience. Pruett said he is negotiating with the new station to helm a midday show.

Rumors were flying that the station hopes to sign former KLOL disc jockeys Outlaw Dave and the morning duo of Walton & Johnson when their non-compete clauses expire in the next few months.

Fant said no contact has taken place with the former KLOL DJs, but "when this talent is free to negotiate, my phone is always open, and I'm eager to talk."

Houston City Council member Carol Alvarado, who attended a wake for KLOL after the format change took place in November, was excited about the new station.

"This is great," she said. "I went to the funeral and now I'm glad to be at the resurrection."

Cumulus regional director Marco Camacho, who formerly worked for KLOL and Univision, said he was flooded with e-mails, faxes and calls after Clear Channel rechristened KLOL as Mega 101 FM, "Latino and Proud."

"As soon as I heard KLOL had gone Spanish, I knew there was huge void (in the Houston radio market)," he said.

Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio, an Internet-based publication that covers the radio industry, believes both Clear Channel, which owns Mega 101, and Cumulus will benefit.

Clear Channel now has a presence in the fast-growing Hispanic market while Cumulus will likely attract more listeners.

Cumulus' KRWP lagged far behind powerhouse urban stations, KMJQ-FM (102.1) and KBXX-FM (97.9), both owned by Radio One. Its other Houston-area station, country KVST-FM (103.7), barely has a presence due to a weak signal.

However, the station is currently moving its transmitter closer to Houston (from Willis to La Porte) and upgrading to 100,000 watts.

While the rock format is not nearly as popular as it was 20 years ago, it does well among men between the ages of 25-54, a hard-to-reach demographic.

"Why do you think beer companies pay so much to be on Monday Night Football?" Taylor said.

The first advertiser on Rock 97.5 was Budweiser.

SO URBAN WILL BE BACK AFTER THEY GET 103.7 AND MOVE THE ROCK STATION THERE. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, Jan. 27, 2005

Cumulus Makes Expected

Rock Move In Houston

In a move that has been expected since the hiring earlier this month of 20-year Houston Rock radio veteran Pat Fant as Market Manager, Cumulus today at noon flipped KRWP (Power 97.5) from Urban AC to "Rock 97-5." Cumulus/Houston execs are presently at a launch party to celebrate the station's flip to mainstream Rock, and a station executive tells R&R that its new call letters will be KIOL. The calls are reminiscent of KLOL, the longtime Houston Rocker that became Hispanic Urban "Mega 101" in November 2004. Cumulus is in the process of purchasing Country KVST/Willis, TX, which is upgrading its facilities by moving to 100kw and shifting its tower to La Porte, TX, located between the Houston and Beaumont, TX markets. The company is expected to eventually return KRWP's Urban AC presentation to KVST upon completing its acquisition of the station.

im so glad houstons only real rock station is back. im so sick of having to listen to the buzz in the morning. i hope and pray walton and johnson come back, and soon. my mornings just arent the same when i cant wake up and listen to them. things can now go back to the way they are supposed to. :D

I am so glad we r getting rock back in Houston. I cant stand the buzz any longer. We need a "REAL ROCK STATION" here in Houston. Although i wish we could get back Stevens and Pruett in da mornings. I like them better than Walton and Johnson. But atleast we r getting Outlaw Dave and Jim Pruett. But that's ok. Rock is back in Houston. Thank You Cumulus!!!! :D

I AM VERY HAPPY :) OF THE RESURECTION OF THE ROCK AND ROLL STATION.

QUITE FRANKLY I WAS QUITE DISSAPPOINTED WHEN THEY TOOK 101 KLOL AWAY FROM US FANS SIMPLY TO MAKE ANOTHER HIP HOP STATION :angry: . I THINK THIS CITY HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH RAP STATION. SO TO ALL THE ROCK FANS KEEP IT ALIVE AND ROCK FOREVER.

I am so glad we r getting rock back in Houston. I cant stand the buzz any longer. We need a "REAL ROCK STATION"  here in Houston. Although i wish we could get back Stevens and Pruett in da mornings. I like them better than Walton and Johnson. But atleast we r getting Outlaw Dave and Jim Pruett. But that's ok. Rock is back in Houston. Thank You Cumulus!!!! :D

I could have not said this any better. When I moved back to Houston I was dissapointed that Stevens and Pruitt was gone from the air but once I got to know Ole Walton and Johson I grew to love them just as much. I counting the days till they come back on the air. And It will be so good to hear my old friend Out law Dave as well. May a day has he made me feel better as I drove home from a bad day at work.

I wonder if they will bring back tha S&M balls ans well?

• 3 months later...

i welcome back some good rock n roll. i was really excited when 97.5 or 103.7 whichever .. took over. at first it was really cool, then they brought in the morning show...when i go to work, i wanna hear music, not talk radio....a.m. is for talk radio...........you can't hear any rock in houston until 10 am...what a shame....glad i have an ipod..which i bought for this purpose......no talkin' for me

i welcome back some good rock n roll.  i was really excited when 97.5 or 103.7 whichever .. took over.  at first it was really cool, then they brought in the morning show...when i go to work, i wanna hear music, not talk radio....a.m. is for talk radio...........you can't hear any rock  in houston until 10 am...what a shame....glad i have an ipod..which i bought for this purpose......no talkin' for me

I dont listen to the radio here in huoston anyway. it's all garbage.

The station will be 103.7 permantly in the future. Right now they are broadcasting on both stations 97.5 and 103.7. They are supposed to be getting a new tower that will broadcast to far west Houston where the signal isn't strong now.

Archived