Fun new map site!

pineda

Interesting. It's a Google Maps front-end for Wikipedia entries. It would be a good idea if it weren't linked to the Wikipedia, though.

My favorite Wikipedia explanation goes thusly: Consulting an encyclopedia is like querying the knowledge of the world's best researchers. Consulting Wikipedia is like asking six people at a bus stop what they think is correct.

^ha, yeah

wikimapia can be fun - i often end up making edits or adding to half-assed entries (adding myself to the folks at the bus stop :P) - it would be better if entries had more descriptions, though...that's where this site and the Towrs wiki fill the gap, i think

Edited by sevfiv

Oh, please, wikipedia is at least as accurate and deep as any encyclopedia on many, many topics. Sure, there's plenty of junk in wikipedia, and ANY encyclopedia should never be cited as authoritative because they ARE NOT PRIMARY SOURCES, but it's completely acceptable to use it for broad overviews on many topics, as a starting point for further reading.