Mansion At 5130 S. MacGregor Way

Does anyone have any information on this deserted mansion at 5130 S. MacGregor Way?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/468536333_6fd930b378.jpg

Or, What about this one at 5326 Calhoun:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/468510957_2659561dae.jpg

There is another one at around 3200 Oakmont that looks haunted. If it isn't haunted it should be. I will post that picture later in the week.

Chris

• Like 1

Does anyone have any information on this deserted mansion at 5130 S. MacGregor Way?

I don't know anything about the one on Calhoun, but I used to drive past the one on S. MacGregor with some frequency. It has been in poor condition for a long time and at one point got tagged by the City for allowing the weeds to get high...and I'm not just talking about high, I'm talking about WILD. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a lein on it and cut the grass themselves.

From some angles at certain times of the day, I could almost swear that I could see straight through the building as I drove by, as though the back wall might've collapsed...or it could've just been built with a lot of rear windows, I can't tell. But if you do happen to come across anything about this mansion, please let us know. Ever since some remuddlers painted a brick mansion at S. MacGregor and Bowling Green a shade of pink, this one has become my favorite in that area.

I don't know anything about the one on Calhoun, but I used to drive past the one on S. MacGregor with some frequency. It has been in poor condition for a long time and at one point got tagged by the City for allowing the weeds to get high...and I'm not just talking about high, I'm talking about WILD. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a lein on it and cut the grass themselves.

From some angles at certain times of the day, I could almost swear that I could see straight through the building as I drove by, as though the back wall might've collapsed...or it could've just been built with a lot of rear windows, I can't tell. But if you do happen to come across anything about this mansion, please let us know. Ever since some remuddlers painted a brick mansion at S. MacGregor and Bowling Green a shade of pink, this one has become my favorite in that area.

The top one is currently for sale in the $500,000-$600,000 range. It's on two acres and a hell of a deal in my book. If I had the cash on hand I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The top one is currently for sale in the $500,000-$600,000 range. It's on two acres and a hell of a deal in my book. If I had the cash on hand I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Actually, I think I'm wrong. It's looks to be a different one, but nonetheless here is the link: http://www.har.com/3267977

Actually, I think I'm wrong. It's looks to be a different one, but nonetheless here is the link: http://www.har.com/3267977

Nope, that's it. Digitalcowboymagic just got the address wrong, which explains why it wasn't popping up in HCAD when I plugged it in. I'm glad to see that the interior isn't as in bad a shape as I thought it might be!

And yes, I'd buy this one, too.

Sorry about the address. It is actually 3510 S. MacGregor Way. Now as far as the property on Oakmont I couldn't find the address but it is probably 3208. Here is what it looked like this afternoon:

469340059_937e25d3d2.jpg

I have a small collection of the three MacGregor mansions / estates that I have digi-pict so far. If you would like to see them go here:

Flickr / Old Houses

Chris

Nope, that's it. Digitalcowboymagic just got the address wrong, which explains why it wasn't popping up in HCAD when I plugged it in. I'm glad to see that the interior isn't as in bad a shape as I thought it might be!

And yes, I'd buy this one, too.

It's a steal. I saw it the day it came up, and I really thought it would be pending by the following day.

There is another one at around 3200 Oakmont that looks haunted. If it isn't haunted it should be. I will post that picture later in the week.

I assume you are talking about that boarded-up brick house that has been painted grey (see attached picture). I think the address is 3222 Oakmont. It looks like someone started to renovate it, but stopped several years ago. (Result of flooding during Allison?) The house has had some foundation work done, and it has a relatively new roof. Hopefully someone will finish the renovation and restore it to its original glory. Despite the missing entry pediment and bricked-up window openings, the house still looks very elegant. Some of the brickwork is awesome, and I especially like the porthole windows on the carriage house. Any ideas on the architect? My preliminary guess would be John Staub, but this house is not in the Barnstone book.

P.S. There is a cool Art Deco house next door to this one.

Edited by Dan the Man

Sorry about the address. It is actually 3510 S. MacGregor Way. Now as far as the property on Oakmont I couldn't find the address but it is probably 3208. Here is what it looked like this afternoon:

469340059_937e25d3d2.jpg

I have a small collection of the three MacGregor mansions / estates that I have digi-pict so far. If you would like to see them go here:

Flickr / Old Houses

Chris

This one is great, but the one next to it -- a 1930's Modernist -- is amazing. It's one of my favorites houses in the entire city.

Or, What about this one at 5326 Calhoun:

468510957_2659561dae.jpg

Just from internet searches, it appears to still be owned by an older man - a doctor who graduated med school in 1949, and who lived in and worked out of the house (I'm assuming he doesn't still).

468536333_6fd930b378.jpg

I live not too far down the road from this one. It is VERY flood prone, also a little interesting rumor I've heard is that they filmed some "adult" stuff in there back in the 80's. :blink:

The reason it's deserted is people have moved in, a typical big Houston rainstorm comes in, flooding occurs, they move out. The next person moves in, unbeknowst to the flood threat, they get flooded and move out. I guess potential buyers finally learned about the threat, and there hasn't been an occupant there in 3-4 years. The flooding doesn't happen because it's next to the bayou, but it's built on low terrain. In fact, before they straightened out Brays Bayou for the first time in the 20's, Brays Bayou was a meandering bayou complete with oxbows, in fact, you can still where it flowed where current day Parkwood Park is and look at the terrain in the neighborhood, how it's kind of "hilly" compared to other sections of town, especially around Rio Vista and S. MacGregor, and S. Parkwood and N. Parkwood. Either the house sits on the old banks of the bayou, or perhaps it used to run through there. Old Houston maps from the teens and 20's will show that.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a home near this beautiful mansion at 3510 s macgregor. I toured it when Womack Realty was trying to sell it , it was way over priced at nearly $1,000,000 and needed lots of work to undo a lot of cheap interior remodeling. It is now bank owned. Unfortunately several weeks ago someone broke in and vandalized the interior, there are now boards covering numerous broken out windows. If I had not bought my current home, I would certainly buy this one at it's current sale price it is a bargain!

I live not too far down the road from this one. It is VERY flood prone, also a little interesting rumor I've heard is that they filmed some "adult" stuff in there back in the 80's. :blink:

The reason it's deserted is people have moved in, a typical big Houston rainstorm comes in, flooding occurs, they move out. The next person moves in, unbeknowst to the flood threat, they get flooded and move out. I guess potential buyers finally learned about the threat, and there hasn't been an occupant there in 3-4 years. The flooding doesn't happen because it's next to the bayou, but it's built on low terrain. In fact, before they straightened out Brays Bayou for the first time in the 20's, Brays Bayou was a meandering bayou complete with oxbows, in fact, you can still where it flowed where current day Parkwood Park is and look at the terrain in the neighborhood, how it's kind of "hilly" compared to other sections of town, especially around Rio Vista and S. MacGregor, and S. Parkwood and N. Parkwood. Either the house sits on the old banks of the bayou, or perhaps it used to run through there. Old Houston maps from the teens and 20's will show that.

• 2 months later...

Mansion at 3510 S Macgregor now has a "SOLD" sign out front. Hopefully someone will restore this grand mansion. Recent history sadly says it will probably be torned down and replace with an Ego-Mansion.

• The title was changed to Mansion At 5130 S. MacGregor Way