What Would You Call Spring?

c4smok

That's a cool little feature, why don't some of you Cypress people use it to show me where Cypress Fair, Cypress Falls, Cypress Creek, and the other 30 Cypress enclaves are. I'd love to see a chopped up map of the confusing northwest.

It's pretty close.

Spring technically would extend all the way up to Spring Creek to the north, on both sides of Gosling Road. Even though that is all owned by the Woodlands Operating Company now, the physical address is still Spring. And then to the west all the way over to Kuykendahl, excluding Carlton Woods at Creekside, which has been designated The Woodlands. Good job, though. Is this for a class project or something?

I would extend your map to the west to at least Stuebner Airline. Some people in this area consider themselves in Spring while some consider themselves in Klein (another good question is what are the boundaries of Klein? many of these would surely overlap). I would also not take the map as far east as you have, nor as far north. I'd say Rayford is a good northern boundary.

I have always thought of Rayford-Sawdust as Spring... is that wrong?

also the bottom part of the East side of 1960 is correct... Houston and Humble mix up down there...

Treshwig/Cyperswood Drive are the border..

Houston/Humble are at the gates =X

Mr Football......what is the difference between Cypress and Cy Fair on your map??

btw The north part of Tomball officially ends in harris county. No part of Tomball is in Montgomery County. Only a small part of the school district is though...the part we are in right now.

I know one thing.....I hate HATE HCAD!!!! I will never live in or a school district located in Harris county again!!

Spring extends west to Kuykendahl at the furthest. Just because people further west have a Spring mailing address and may think they live in Spring (as I did my first 12 years or so) doesn't mean they are in Spring. I say Kuykendahl at the furthest, because the town of Klein was historically centered at Trinity Lutheran Church at the corner of Spring-Cypress and Klein Church Road. The original community was German Lutheran immigrants. A couple miles down Spring-Cypress you have Klein Cemetery Road, and very close by is the original Klein High School. I would say that if you live west of Kuykendahl, north of Cypresswood, south of 2920, east of Champions Forest, and southeast of Boudreaux, you are in Klein.

Also, those of you wanting to claim all the territory going to Kuykendahl and FM 1960 for Spring are intruding on the great city of Bammel.

^_^

Spring is unincorporated, so there are no defined boundaries.

The map should give a good general description of "Spring."

I tend to 'think' of it as:

• Bordered on the south by Hollowtree/Louetta (or thereabouts)
  • Bordered on the east byHwy 59
  • Bordered on the west by Kuykendahl
  • Bordered on the north by Rayford/Sawdust (just south of The Woodlands)

I could be wrong on all accounts though. As per my 'definition' incorporates some areas such as Memorial Northwest and parts of Champions and Northgate Forest. Not sure there are in 'Spring'.

After looking at your map, it looks about right ... but as mentioned, I think of it, more than actually 'know'.

Just because people further west have a Spring mailing address and may think they live in Spring (as I did my first 12 years or so) doesn't mean they are in Spring.

Huh? If you have a Spring mailing address and think you live in Spring (as my friends in Windrose, Gleannloch Farms and Memorial West do), then you live in Spring. There is no "city of Spring" out here, like Tomball, so going by the post office definition of Spring is about all we have to go by, technically speaking. :D

Mr. Football, thanks for your map. Could you or someone else though break down all the different "Cypress-____" communites up there? I really wish you people would incorporate up there. Its such a mess.

Yes but people of parts of TW have Spring zip codes also. If you sent 2 letters with the same zip but interchanges Spring/The Woodlands they would end up in the same place.

Yeah, that's got to be weird, huh? You tell people "I live in The Woodlands, but my address says Spring." Like Creekside Park (a new village that's technically part of The Woodlands), but the address will say "Spring" and the kids living there will go to Tomball schools.

Huh? If you have a Spring mailing address and think you live in Spring (as my friends in Windrose, Gleannloch Farms and Memorial West do), then you live in Spring. There is no "city of Spring" out here, like Tomball, so going by the post office definition of Spring is about all we have to go by, technically speaking. :D

No, I don't think the post office is all we have to go by. We have history, and we also have the opinions of those who have lived here the longest. Your friends who live in Memorial Northwest live in Klein, not Spring. You'll notice on that Google map that it even has the name "Klein" marked at the intersection of Stuebner-Airline and Spring-Cypress. At Klein High School (intersection of Stuebner-Airline and Louetta) there is a historical marker telling the history of Klein. People in this area can put "Spring" as their mailing address and it will get delivered, but they live in Klein, not Spring.

I wouldn't say it's a big deal, just because Spring's the bigger town, and a lot of times it makes sense to identify yourself with the bigger town, especially when these aren't real cities to begin with. A lot of people in Memorial Northwest would say they live in Houston. Some would say they live in Spring. Some would say they live in Klein. None of them are really wrong, it's just a matter of precision.

For the first twelve years of my life, I thought I lived in Spring. I was a proud Springer. Then one day, when the subject was brought up, my parents informed me that actually, I lived in Klein. I was devastated. My whole sense of identity with my hometown was broken. Sure, I could say now that I was from Klein, but it wouldn't be the same. These kinds of bonds have to start from an early age. I would have fought and died for Spring. If an invading army had ever threatened, I would have entrenched myself. With Klein, I could care less. The whole place could burn down, and I would walk away with my belongings, indifferent.

Good post.

This is what we as NW Harris County residents must live with in our relative identity crisis. It's great out here. We've got a nice quality of life, good schools, low crime, trees, etc...but we're somewhat confused. There are parts of Cypress that lie in Tomball ISD and have Tomball mailing addresses. Parts of Klein that have Spring mailing addresses. Parts of Spring that have Houston mailing addresses. Then there's the Champions area who now want to be called Cypress Creek, but have Houston addresses. Assholes like Avabamse like to play particulars with the actual boundaries, but we don't give a ____ about the actual boundaries out here - all we give a damn about are 'perceived' boundaries, that's why we have these discussions. Klein is Klein - even if its Spring dammit! Cypress is whatever the hell people of the area around Cypress identify it as.

Our landscape is shaped by the little German farms that dotted the landscape up here from Cypress to Spring in an area which in the mid-1800's was known as "Big Cypress"...hell that's what we should call the whole damned thing...screw just incorporating Cypress...let's incorporate them all with Klein and Spring...and call it by its old name "Big Cypress". ;)

Pineda....thats a poster who has a different perspective on things than Mr. Football. ;)

Memorial Northwest is harder to pinpoint I think. When I lived there I considered it Spring but in Klein ISD. I was only in elementary so belonging is hard to grasp when it isn't concrete as in Spring, TX 77379.

Looking back it is the Klein area. I think I would rather say Klein than Spring they way things are going.

Who?

I finally finished using up all of the kleenex in my casa from crying and sucking my thumb over mr. foolsball calling me an asshole.

I feel soooooo special.

Hugs and kisses back toward you, mr. foolsball.

~*~*~*~

By the way, if anyone wants to know why mr. foolsball is calling me an asshole, please see this thread's post #35. Apparently, mr. foolsball does not care for the idea of being exposed for trying to selectively edit articles posted on HAIF from the Chronicle and then try to cover up said fabrication by badmouthing the Chronicle's writer (that was correct). This may be a minor deal, but I personally feel that I have to actually read the real article in the Chronicle for any article referenced by mr. foolsball since he has already proven once that he will change the details to his pleasure (and without notation).

Oh, and don't misunderstand me on the Chronicle. This newspaper is not perfect and I get a kick out of the BlogHouston's posts on the "Fruit Loop" bureau, but what newspaper is perfect? Every single news reporting agency has made errors (see NYT, WSJ, NBC, etc). To me, it's the best we got in town right now, so unless I go out and create my own news bureau, I have to take it... although I can continue to hold the Chronicle to continuing improvement of its editorial standards and journalistic efforts.

~*~*~*~

Back to sucking my thumb. :huh:

Archived